Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Smith

Racing MTD Lawnflite

Charlie Smith

Hello all, I know a lot of you have seen this in previous photos on other posts, but for those of you that havent, here is an MTD Lawnflite, compleatly restored,painted and modified from scratch, finished this project about 2 years ago now, haven't used it for a while but last time I did, it defiantly flew!

Sparky

Nice! How fast do you figure it goes?

Mike.........

Charlie Smith

Around 45mph

Thanks

IndianaMatt

Charlie tell me more about the little guy. I have been spying a Lawn Chief in my neighbors back yard but cant figure out what to do with it if I get it.

Charlie Smith

Well to start with, for a speed of 20-30mph, there's not much you would need to do,

Here's what I did,.,.

There will be two pulleys one on the front on the engine, and one on the back, the rear one is normally about 8-10 inch, and the front one is around 4inch, what you need to do is take these both off and rearrange them. On the rear instead of a 8-10 inch put a 3-4 inch on the rear, and the biggest size pulley you can find for the front, you could just swap them around, but the smallest you can find for the back and the biggest you can find for the front the better, but take to mind, if you just swap them you can keep the same drive belt, if you get new pulleys you will need a new belt, as you don't want it too lose that it comes off when travling at such speeds. But you don't want it so tight that the engine can't turn over,

The next thing you can do is remove/open the governor I recommend open the governers like I did, just incase you ever want to take it back to the orignial ways, in a few hours I will upload pictures showing you my pulley set up, and how I fitted a second throttle leaver to open the governor to allow the engine to rev harder.

Then silly little things make the world of difference, make sure all the back pressure is there in the exhaust, eg.. No holes and its not blowing,

But remember safety features, Fit a kill switch.

Then the hardest part... Making it look nice, I spent a fair few pennies getting him to look good the build/conversion was ever so cheep, its the bonnet that cost me the most, I had to have it perfect as it was my pride aha. But I just sprayed over the bonnet, the whole body got sprayed black, and then the seat got re stiched with black leather and orange stitching... And then the sticker/decals make it.

:) thanks and good luck!