Sign in to follow this  
92Pony

520H - Need help with directional control rod

92Pony

'Twas mowing the weeds yesterday and backed into a spot to mow my way out of. I stopped reversing, and pushed the hydro lever to go forwards. When I did, it went reeeeal easy, and nothing happened. "Hmmm, this can't be good", I thought to myself. I pulled the plates to get a view at the important parts. I was able to see that there was a rod that ran from the hydro lever assembly, toward the rear of the tractor - toward the cam area under the seat. This rod was disconnected from the hydro rod assy. Where disconnected, it looked to have a ball and socket-type joint. Is this supposed to be a connect/disconnect joint, or is it broken? B) I put the rod back onto the ball, and gave it a light whack with a length of wooden dowel and hammer. It didn't hold the first time, but a second time has it holding a little (haven't started the tractor and given it a real try yet). I've attached a couple of pics of the part I'm talking about. I didn't get a shot of it apart, and didn't want to pull it back apart, just in case I actually have it fixed right now - lol!

139_3913.jpg

139_3914.jpg

BTW - the rod that came loose, is the horizontal one to the right of the black vertical shaft (hydro lever).

Wade

nylyon

Sounds like the socket got a little enlarged. If it were mine, I would replace the rod with a new one, however you can probably remove the rod (with the ball) and peen the socket (with the ball in there) a little bit to get it to stay in there.

Kelly

I agree with Karl, I'd put a new one on, peening it over is only a bandaid, and will need fixed properly sooner or later.

I see you have the gear reduction steering set up on your tractor, but you might want to grease it as it looks dry, there's a gease fitting on it.

TT

That little rod (P/N 116324) is $114.18 at PartsTree.com ! B)

I think I would just cut the bad end off and either drill & tap it for a 3/8 - 24 stud (so a new end could be screwed on) or even weld an MTD style ball joint to the end of it.

New Ball Joint on ebay LINK

92Pony

I agree with Karl, I'd put a new one on, peening it over is only a bandaid, and will need fixed properly sooner or later.

I see you have the gear reduction steering set up on your tractor, but you might want to grease it as it looks dry, there's a gease fitting on it.

Yeah, it's a little dry/dusty/dirty/nasty. :whistle: I noticed how much so when the flash really illuminated everything. I'll get after that while I'm in there for this. B)

When it was apart, I saw an indention in the side of the socket joint - I guess that's peening (yes?), whether factory or done by the previous owner, I don't know.

Whoa! $114 new! Eeeek! Well, not that that really surprises me though........ B)

I'm handy enough with a wrench, but when it comes to fabbing/welding/cutting/drilling/tapping, I'm definately out of my league. That ebay link for a new ball joint end would be a great alternative, but not likely something I could tackle myself.

In the meantime, I did find this on Ebay after some digging - http://tinyurl.com/63mqrz

It doesn't have many (if any) fewer hours on it than mine, but it may be my best option.......

So, if I'm able to get that thing to stay back together, should I put any lube inside that ball joint? Or would that just cause it to slip apart more quickly...and draw more dirt dust to it?

Wade

nylyon

If the end would fit you could always bring it to a welding shop to weld them together for you, still less expensive than the new part.

Kelly

I'd say for $.99 + shipping couldn't hurt you could have someone rebuild yours (weld or tap) in the mean time, if that one is not much better than yours

92Pony

I'd say for $.99 + shipping couldn't hurt you could have someone rebuild yours (weld or tap) in the mean time, if that one is not much better than yours

That might very well be a good hybrid approach. B)

Wade