Luke

1960 wheel horse suburban 400 bought at auction

Luke

Just saw a pair of fenders and the tool box for a 551 newly listed on Ebay, happy biding!

:USA: 

I saw them right away, but he seperated the fenders from the box. He wants $60 for the fenders and $60 for the box, that's not including shipping. He is close to me, so I'd pick them up in person, if I decide to pay the asking prices.

953 nut

You could always try sending the seller a message offering your price for the lot, never know they may take it. Good luck!

Just saw a pair of fenders and the tool box for a 551 newly listed on Ebay, happy biding!

:USA: 

I saw them right away, but he seperated the fenders from the box. He wants $60 for the fenders and $60 for the box, that's not including shipping. He is close to me, so I'd pick them up in person, if I decide to pay the asking prices.

CasualObserver

I agree... $120 for fenders and toolbox combined is reaching for the moon in my humble opinion. Make an offer. Worst they can say is no. via Tapatalk

Luke

I agree... $120 for fenders and toolbox combined is reaching for the moon in my humble opinion. Make an offer. Worst they can say is no. via Tapatalk

I emailed him, asking him to combine the two and lower the starting price.

Luke

The axel seals were leaking. The seals have been replaced. The tractor now shifts in three forward and reverse. The governor on the throttle was sticking, which made it very hard to start. Aside from some miscellaneous missing parts, it's ready for tear down and paint. I'm going to see if my boy can handle a sand blaster. 

Incidentally, the guy on eBay who was selling all those Wheel Horse parts local to me in NJ, bought the lot from an estate. One of the tractors was complete, and in primer, waiting for paint. He stripped everything down to parts for profit. It seemed a shame someone put all that work into rebuilding a tractor, only to have it torn apart for profit. I suppose the used parts have to come from somewhere, but I prefer to think they came from a wrecked tractor with a bad engine or rusted frame, as opposed to a lovingly restored tractor.  Just my two cents.

Ken B

I agree with you to a certain point. I personally wouldn't part out a nice tractor but the nicer the tractor someone is parting the nicer the part you will get, which makes for a happy customer. I'd rather pay a fair price for parts coming off a decent tractor than pay top money for parts coming off a worn junk or wrecked tractor.  Then again, I hate seeing a nice old RJ torn down for parts. That just ain't right. So many different ways to look at it.

• Like 1

VinsRJ

I agree with Ken... not to mention when everything is all said and done... you could be left with a pile of parts which have no street value... don't be fooled, some parts on an RJ are worthless.

Luke

I decided I should post some pictures of the Wheel-Horse rebuilt. Unfortunatly, I have to resize the pictures in order to post them, so I'll just post one for now. I haven't bought or made the guards and shields yet. Nor have I installed the choke lever. I plan to buy new Suburban decals, and a seat cover. 

We took some wheels from a cart. We had to change the bushings, and add some spacers, but they look great.

The only issue is the carb. We just cannot get it right. It seems to load up and eventually stall. I'm thinking of breaking down and buying a new carb. It's a kohler (k90 or k91 I think). I'd like to know what carb to look for, and where. Can I get one cheap?

I'll resize and post more pictures later.

Luke

post-9980-0-18421300-1404696166_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Luke

picture

My boy rides the tractor.

pic

post-9980-0-50708100-1404697051_thumb.jp

post-9980-0-05502800-1404697126_thumb.jp

post-9980-0-79072200-1404697199_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Luke

pic

post-9980-0-51349000-1404697356_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Luke

pic

post-9980-0-34554900-1404697476_thumb.jp

Luke

Just about every bolt and pin was undone on the tractor. Everything was cleaned, sanded and painted seperatly, before reassembly. New bolts and pins were used when the old ones were found to be too rusted. The engine was painted a different shade of red than the frame and body. I wanted to paint it with engine paint, and Ford engine red was as close as I could find to match the rest of the tractor. We painted the pull start in chrome just for a personal touch. The exhaust is engine heat primer grey.

Yes, I realize the hub is leaking again, but I'll try and fix that again later.

I'll try and post more pictures, when i can resize them.

Luke

• Like 1

pacer

If your boy turns out like Jake Kuhn you aint gonna be able to stay up with him!! :eek: and from that grin that just may happen.

Nice rebuild by the way....