Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Need help removing spindle pulley

Kevbo

Anyone know if there is a trick to removing the spindle pulley without bending them up with a crowbar?

EF7FC810-1F22-4C9B-A9A1-E9FEB828DE0D-600

Thanks!

KC9KAS

Remove the grease zert and use this....with lots of penetrating oil.

image_17610.jpg

BOWTIE

KEVIN. Put a 1 1/8" deep well on the blade side of shaft and hit it with the impact. Put a piece of hose over the lower threads to protect them. Go forward and reverse repeat as needed. Hold the pulley with a belt. It has always worked for me over a dozen times.

THE PULLEY IS NOT KEYED RIGHT?

BOWTIE

• Like 1

Kevbo

Good idea! It is not keyed.

BOWTIE

kevin next time try it before you take it all apart. take the pulley nut off and the belt tensioner will help hold the pulley.

• Like 1

Trouty56

kevin next time try it before you take it all apart. take the pulley nut off and the belt tensioner will help hold the pulley.

This was posted before in another thread by you I suppose.  It sure helped me out....wish I had known about 1 deck earlier.....

tombones49

My three spindles seem to be okay. There are no grinding sounds and the shafts do not seem to have any lateral play in them. Each spindle turns freely. Call me Mister Lucky ..... so far. Removing the pulleys is another story. The drive pulley is 4" diameter while the two outside pulleys are 3-3/8" diameter. The idler pulley is 3-1/4" diameter. The idler pulley is totally shot and I did get it off the deck. The drive pulley and one of the two outside pulleys are also okay. One outside pulley simply has a "nick" in the upper rim. Should I be concerned about the nick? Also, my spindles do not have a grease fitting. Permanently sealed spindle bearings?

I cannot seem to find a service or repair manual. I do not know the brand of the deck, ( W.H. I think ), and certainly don't know the year. The tractor is a 1969 Commando V7 aka 1-4741. See photos attached.

Thanks,

Tombones 49

post-9996-0-46857600-1366055434_thumb.jp

post-9996-0-57665600-1366055718.png

post-9996-0-13341000-1366056442.png

post-9996-0-18418400-1366056838.png

post-9996-0-65362300-1366056994.png

can whlvr

i have tried using chipped puleys,they cut the belts up on me,so i had to get a new one

Don1977

If you taper the inside edge of the chipped place it should be OK to use. Those are cast iron pulleys I have used one with a similar chipped place with out any problem. Take the slide out and sand all the rust off so it can keep the belt tight.

gwest_ca

This deck has the blades turning counter-clockwise.

1969 deck model number 5-7361

1970-1971 deck model number 5-7362

1972 deck model 5-0610 - here is the manual for this one

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1717-mower-rotary-36in-rd-1972-5-0610-om-ipl-a-5284pdf/

The blades are no longer available from Toro and not aware of anyone else ever supplying them.

Garry

My three spindles seem to be okay. There are no grinding sounds and the shafts do not seem to have any lateral play in them. Each spindle turns freely. Call me Mister Lucky ..... so far. Removing the pulleys is another story. The drive pulley is 4" diameter while the two outside pulleys are 3-3/8" diameter. The idler pulley is 3-1/4" diameter. The idler pulley is totally shot and I did get it off the deck. The drive pulley and one of the two outside pulleys are also okay. One outside pulley simply has a "nick" in the upper rim. Should I be concerned about the nick? Also, my spindles do not have a grease fitting. Permanently sealed spindle bearings?

I cannot seem to find a service or repair manual. I do not know the brand of the deck, ( W.H. I think ), and certainly don't know the year. The tractor is a 1969 Commando V7 aka 1-4741. See photos attached.

Thanks,

Tombones 49