Sign in to follow this  
Sixgun

Going to look at a Wheel Horse, thoughts? (pics)

Sixgun

Going to look at this tomorrow, don't have any projects as of the moment.. I am not familiar with Wheel Horse tractors and know absolutely nothing about them.. I've had several riding mowers in the past years but would like to own something older.

Seller states it's mfg date in the 60's? I am unsure which Model or exact year. Also the engine is a 12hp? and not original to the machine. Also that it has a hydrostactic trans and runs well.  He is asking $275 which I don't know if it's fair or high. I'm not in a farming community so there aren't a lot of older equipment to choose from unfortunately. 

Thoughts?  Value? Things to look for when I go look tomorrow (sun) , Questions I should be asking? Parts availability for this tractor ?

post-9952-0-17523700-1365301699.jpg

post-9952-0-81723700-1365301706.jpg

puddlejumper

Pretty sure thats a 8 horse in that tractor.briggs. tractor should be a late 60s model. From here I would move ahead cautiously.I think

bo dawg

:text-welcomewave: to Red Sq. Well you can't go wrong with any wheel horse of course! These are the best tractors around.

I say thats a 67 - 68, probably did come with a 12 hp but I could be wrong, although thats a good engine. $275 to me is a bit much to pay if it doesnt have a deck. At best for me with no deck or any other attachments I wouldn't go over $150. But if you want it and these tractors are scarce in your area then I wouldn't be afraid to pay it. Thats my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

If you can get the model number off it and post on here we can tell more about it for sure. You can get parts on ebay and craigs list, still can get some parts at the Toro dealer too.

Take it for a ride and see how the trans feels, if its sluggish or responsive will tell you how strong it is.

Trouty56

Nice start to a nice tractor, but,,,,,I probably would not even look at it where I live, however, the choices are much better in the north.....and prices too.  If you are serious.....drive it and see how the auto works.....see if reverse is good also.....ride it a while and keep checking.  Reverse will be slower than forward.  Try to get a better price.  Never know.....more opportunities may come up....better ones.  You just started looking.

• Like 1

WH nut

A deck for that could be hard to find, but it can be modified to take a newer C series deck. All you need to do is mount the quick tach for the mule drive on the front. I did that with my raider.

fabricator2009

welcome to red square.

TT

:WRS:

That's a 1968 Charger - and it probably was a "9" (originally equipped with a 10 hp HH-100 Tecumseh)

Other than the air cleaner and elbow, it looks like it should under the hood. :confusion-shrug:

Echoing what Bob T. said ~ check the transmission thoroughly. 

thedude

Nice tractor, needs some love tho.

KC9KAS

:WRS: Looks like you need to "proceed with caution"

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

AMC RULES

That's a great beginning for your new :wh: addiction, you gotta start somewhere. 

You could do better on the price though...good luck.    :WRS:

Charlie Smith

Hey there welcome to red square, I'm from the UK so don't really know e value of the wheel horses out there, but if you where buying it to sell on and make a profit, then you really want to get one that's cheap as chips, but if your buying it for yourself, it doesn't really matter what you pay for it,

Good luck and enjoy.

clueless

These tractors are hard to find down here-60's models even harder. Parts and attachments forget about it. Everything you need can be bought on eBay but the shipping costs are very high. I have dealt with this seller in the past and his things are a little pricey for what he has to offer. You could purchase this tractor for about $125 if you lived in the North, expecially in Pennsylvania. Down here, this is a $200-$225 tractor. It has no deck or attachments and the seller says it is good for pulling things around. If you're looking to restore or refurbish to use as a lawn tractor, cutting grass, etc. the parts will be hard to find in the South. Wheel Horse's are great garden tractors but if you're thinking of getting into the hobby you will may become frustrated. Good luck. Chris 

JackC

That model and similar ones of that era do not go for that much.  Price is a little high but not too bad if you like that style and the hydro (I do).  Since it does not have the original motor the value is lower than otherwise but from a practical point of view .a newer motor is better than a warn out original.  If the sheet metal is all good, and the hydro works good, and the engine runs fine, then the price is OK.  They look better to me with the original motors with the starter generator and belt cover.

953 nut

Welcome to the Square. Be warned, these Wheel Horses are adictave! If this is the model or style you prefer the price isn't too bad. I would take along a chain and tie it off to a large tree and test out the drive train in all gears. If it goes to China you are good to go.

:USA: 

jay in nc

first welcome to redsquare !  second that is a nice tractor, i have a 68 raider 9 that i keep the snow plow on year round. it's one of my favorites. basicly the same tractor but with a 6 speed instead of a hydro. i don't have any problems with my HH100 Tecumpseh,hope you don't ether.  Jay

Sixgun

Thank you fella's for the warm welcome. This is truly a great support forum and hope to one day be a part of such a friendly network. Like mentioned above I went today to look at the GT and it rode great. Smooth trans, tight steering, great idle so I took it home. The ol' lady hated it at first, but once she got behind the wheel she wouldn't get off. When we went to park it unfortunately it started to leak trans fluid pretty heavy so I contacted the seller and was told to bring it back and he would refund my payment, fix the leak, and discuss transferring ownership again once the repair had been made if I was still interested. Seller is truly a genuine guy as I wasn't expecting anything other than advice. Looking forward to dealing with him in the future, and hopefully have the Wheel Horse back soon. What a machine. 

-Sixes 

• Like 1