Sign in to follow this  
Zach62Ranger

Restorations

Zach62Ranger

I got a 62 Lawn Ranger in good shape but was wondering if I should restore it. If i did i would probably repaint it and get new parts along with new tire tubes. Should I do this or should i just clean it up a bit and leave it the way it is? I am really proud of the tractor but because i am a kid i don't have a lot of money to use on these tractors. My parents want me to save up to get a car but i've always wanted a neat hobby like this that other people did too. Thanks for tips! Sorry if i ramble a bit! :)

• Like 1

Tom.

Hi Zach62ranger,

It is really down to personal preference and what you want to use it for. If its in good shape personally I wouldn't unless you planned on showing it or similar. Do you have any pictures of it?

Tom

AMC RULES

Can't wait to see your '62 Ranger Zach, post up some picts for us when you can. 

:WRS:

SousaKerry

:text-worthless:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

If it is barn fresh and you like that look by all means save your money and have some fun with it.  If it is a rusty basket case then rebuild it

KC9KAS

:WRS: , and :wwp:

Just clean it up and "play" with it for now. As time goes by, you may find something else that is nice & shiney that you want. If not, after a while when you have a car (and a job), you can start a painting project.

Nice to have another "youngster" among us. Glad you found us.

cruisnblue48

Hi Zack. You should do what your time, patience, and money allows you to do. A complete disassembly and restore project will take a lot of time and money for replacement parts that may be needed. It won't happen overnight. I am doing a complete restoration on my dad's 1962 552 Wheel Horse and I am getting close to two years with my project... but enjoying every opportunity that I get to work on it.

VinsRJ

Pics, we want pics! LOL!

Zach62Ranger

I got the tractor from ELECTRORIC. It is in really good shape for its age. The rims have decent surface rust, the steering wheel is missing part of the bakelite, the tractor is in 3 different shades of red with you able to see brushstrokes. other than that most everything is sound. the seat and wheel are original as are the rear tires. The front tires are the 2nd type the inflated ones instead of the solid rubber. the engine is a tecumseh HT60 so i don't think that is original but the motor is old and runs great, starts on second pull. the hood looks original but i'm not sure. still has decals on the hood as well as the dash and shifter plate. the belt guard also has the original decal. tires hold air well but the front ones are fairly cracked as are the rear tires. The little sucker is actually pretty quick in third gear wide open. really fun to drive around. The body has almost no rust, just some under the hood and other common places you would find rust. Does not have compression  release so it is kinda hard to start, gotta make sure there is no slack in the line before you start pulling or it snaps back. Not fun, did it to me once already. Thanks for all the tips, I just took it home last night around 9:30 and probably woke up any surrounding people, it is loud when it runs. Again i think i am rambling so thanks everyone especially ELECTRORIC for giving me the oppurtunity to get into these things. Will keep in touch! 

Zach62Ranger

Hey guys, ive got bad news. The engine i had on it blew a rod and shattered it. In the time it took that to happen it also tore up the crankshaft. Engine and cylinder is o.k. though. crankshaft and rod will have to be replaced or i will have to buy another engine. it is a tecumseh h60, i don't know anything about these motors or what i should do. i have no money either, spent it all on tractor. What should or can i do. Please help. thank you

KATO

The crankshaft and rod for a 1967 H60 Tecumseh spec # 75118F is still available.

Although not cheap. Alot of the internal parts were the same over the years 

as long as they were originally a Wheel horse spec motor (75118F is).

You should ask your local dealer if they will fit (likely will) as i can't find info on older spec # motor parts

Of course this all assumes you want to rebuild this motor instead of just replacing it .

Crankshaft for 1967 H60 is Part # 30799

Rod for 1967 H60 is part # 31380c

Zach62Ranger

i looked up parts they are $$$$ my friend is gonna help me out though. Thanks!!

Zach62Ranger

My friend who i got the tractor from has two more motors he's giving me so i can rebuilt my engine. ALmost all of the parts from the the engine that died are good, camshaft, carb, gaskets, covers. it shouldn't be to bad to rebuild. thanks for everyones help. will eventually try to post pics! Thanks!!

SousaKerry

Tecumseh's are a good engine to cut your teeth on for your first rebuild. Very easy to work on simple design with fewer parts then a Kohler. As I found out recently almost all the internal parts are interchangeable between the small blocks. You can save yourself quite a bit of cash by buying the aftermarket parts on eBay. Yeah they may be made in China or Taiwan but they work.

Jake Kuhn

Tecumseh's are a good engine to cut your teeth on for your first rebuild. Very easy to work on simple design with fewer parts then a Kohler. As I found out recently almost all the internal parts are interchangeable between the small blocks. You can save yourself quite a bit of cash by buying the aftermarket parts on eBay. Yeah they may be made in China or Taiwan but they work.

I used them on my vh60 on my deere 60 and it worked out great. I bought the after market kit again for the lawn ranger, now I just need to get it put back together.

Zach62Ranger

I'm going to rebuild the engine on it. It is in excellent shape. will replace crankshaft and piston rod and will be good to go!! Will be a little more careful with it this time. Hoping to get it going for a tractor show coming up.

AMC RULES

What happened, how did it blow up?