Sign in to follow this  
WildHorses

Tiller setup/ depth

WildHorses

I have a wheel horse tiller I bought in a pile of parts late last summer. I don't have the model number handy but I believe it's a mid 70's era tiller. It's before the models with the four bolt lift mount on the shroud but it does have the rear flap and side covers. Anyway, my question is this... How much tension should be on the lift assist spring that connects to the rear axle? I can't seem to get the tiller to go more than 3 inches into the ground and I think the spring may be too tight. The lift cable is lose and not stopping it from going further. My ground is clay and it's not the easiest to turn and I'm breaking ground on a new garden for this year but I feel tilling 3 inches deep isn't deep enough. I tried taking some tension off tonight but it didn't seem to make much difference. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb or way to make sure the tiller can move up and down properly?

bitten

Just off of the top of my head, I might try to unhook the spring and see if that helps. Might also jack the rear of the tractor up and make sure that the tiller has free motion. Good luck.

WildHorses

The tiller has free motion up and down

puddlejumper

Are you using a 8speed trans or hydro. Just wondering if you are Tilling at to high of a ground speed,New garden in clay the tiller may need more time to do its work.

jachady

Although terribly unsafe, if you have enough room, you can stand up then reach back with one of your legs and stand on the tiller to put some down pressure on it.  Or you can run the tractor backwards, although you risk breaking something that way as well.  Just not you.  Both work, don't ask me how I know. :)

farmer

Sounds as if the assist spring is to 'strong' allowing the tiller to bounce on the surface. Try a pass without the spring attached, I have an adjustable eye bolt on mine, but Ive never had to change its length. 6" is deep enough for most garden crops.

brandonozz

I don't have a spring on mine (C120-8) and I have no problem lifting the tiller.  I know some people swear by the spring but I prefer it to be full weight on the ground.  I had a pull behind self powered tiller and its manual says you can add weight to the top of the shrouds to give more bite.  I havent added weight to my WH tiller but its a thought.  Tilling backwards will bury the tiller and I wouldnt try that as your actually pushing it into the ground.

When breaking ground I have to "feather" the clutch in the lowest gear possible the first pass and I use the adjustment to keep it from going too deep.  When breaking ground, I've seen it jump so badly the belt has jumped off the pulley.  The second pass go as deep as possible in 1st low and you should get 6" of tilled soil.  I know a lot of guys turn with a plow first and then till and I've done that as well but I've only had a rear lift on one of my tractors until recently and usually don't want to switch attachments when the tiller will get it done in less than an hour.

can whlvr

you r tilling clay so 3 inches first pass and dont expect much more on the second pass,ive had to put cement blocks on mine,i too have hard red clay soil,ive tilled other places and the tiller tills full depth first pass,soil conditions are evry thing

• Like 1

Whmaverick

I just tilled a new plot last night, the sod was tight and the belt jumped off many times. I set the hight adjustment to about three inches and tilled both directions, then lowered it to about 5 or 6 inches and went both directions again. Looked great when I was done. Cleared the rocks, raked the soil back into the garden where it got flung out, then went and made two flat pulley guide rods.

brandonozz

I just tilled a new plot last night, the sod was tight and the belt jumped off many times. I set the hight adjustment to about three inches and tilled both directions, then lowered it to about 5 or 6 inches and went both directions again. Looked great when I was done. Cleared the rocks, raked the soil back into the garden where it got flung out, then went and made two flat pulley guide rods.

OK Whmaverick,

Please share some pics of your belt guides.  I haven't had the belt jump off the pulley until recently but it has happened several times.  Always when I get into sandstone and the tiller gets to bouncing and I don't get on the lift quickly enough.  Like you, I would like to keep it from happening.

Whmaverick

No pics at this point, but have to report the belt guides are over rated cause I can't see any difference. The belt still jumps off when the tiller jumps over rocks. Gonna experiment with other things. Urggg

312Hydro

You might try a spring with more tension. I was trying out a spring from TSC that was similar to the Wheel Horse factory spring and it would jump off in certain situations. Replaced it with the factory spring and it made a big difference.

Olratlr

You also should check that thr belt is running in the center of your small pulley on your tiller and on your the  tension pulley on quick attach.

I was having the same problem with my belt jumping off I shimed the pulleys with small washers no more problems.

• Like 1

312Hydro

You also should check that thr belt is running in the center of your small pulley on your tiller and on your the  tension pulley on quick attach.

I was having the same problem with my belt jumping off I shimed the pulleys with small washers no more problems.

Exactly! :text-yeahthat::text-goodpost:

56flatbed

I'm not trying to steal the thread, but I ;have a tiller related question.  Does anyone have a decent picture of the idler pulley set that is midway under the tractor?  I am unable to find one and it looks like I will have to manufacture my own.  By the way, it is a C141 automatic.

Thanks,

Wally

312Hydro

Here ya go- There are others as well. Do a search using "tiller pulleys". Lots of good examples.

56flatbed

Rich, you absolutely ROCK!  Thanks

Wally

WildHorses

Just an update, I kept adjusting the spring to provide less pull and it didn't make any difference. I finally tried taking the spring off and that made a marginal differnce. I think the problem was just hard unworked clay. After a good dozen + passes there was a good layer of worked soil. My garden is planted and doing well so far. Now to add a fence to keep the ?!#% dog out!

• Like 1