Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Kohler KT17 Series II FlyWheel Magnet Help

stevebo

All-

I am helping a friend with his 417 with the series II motor. Engine was not charging so we pulled the flywheel to take a look behind it and see if anything was out of sorts. The magnets were broken and some parts stuck to the stator. If the magnet set is not "complete" meaning some of the magnets are chipped can I re glue them back on? I would think that would throw the flywheel out of balance. Second question is do you have a source to purchase the magnets? Lastly, how do you attach them? Epoxy or other? Any help is appreciated. Thanks !

buckrancher

I have used the black epoxy for steel slow set like 24 hours works great you'll never get them back off

also if you have to reglue magnets back on they  only go one way so that means you need to know what is north and south poles on the magnet

and which way they face each other end to end

there is a thread about this that SOI explained how to sort the magnets to reglue them back on

Brian

stevebo

Thanks Brian. I am thinking that they may be too far gone to mess with. We can get a new one from Joe's shipped for $49. Next question is wondering if all kt17 flywheels are the same? Series I vs II ? 

buckrancher

I do know you can't use a KT19 flywheel, they are the same except the crankshaft taper is larger on the KT19

Wheel-N-It

Stevebo, if you go back to your original plan of regluing the magnets, look at my thread from last year in the Electrical catagory. SOI helped me through getting everything back right.  I have not had a problem since. I had actually broken one magnet in two. SOI posted alot of diagrams on the thread. BTW, my engine was a KT-17 series 2

Edited by Wheel-N-It

stevebo

Well.... today I got a flywheel from Joes's on line from a series I and the shaft size was too small!! 

stevebo

It was out of a 1980 Bolens

Wheel-N-It

Maybe you can heat up the magnets to soften up the glue, then remove them to replace the ones broken on your old flywheel.

hummod

I bought a 417-8 that had a KT-17 series II engine that would not charge.  Found that someone glued the magnets

back on the flywheel but not in the right places.  I took magnets off of an old 10 horse flywheel using a propane torch

paying close attention to where they came off and put them on the KT-17 flywheel using the keyway as a position guide.

Rough the inside of the flywheel up with sandpaper.  I think I used an extra strength high temp epoxy.  Charging problem

solved.

Larry (hummod)

Sayre, PA

stevebo

I tried to heat up the magnets on the wrong flywheel I got and some came off and some broke/cracked due to the heat. Back to square one....

Wheel-N-It

Live and learn Steve. Just find another flywheel and start over. Remember, this is only nuts and bolts :tools-wrench: