Sign in to follow this  
thomas

Electric Drill Starting

thomas

Still cleaning out my carb.  BUT - I saw on you tube,  

takes off the recoil start thing, and behind that is a 11/16 nut.  Simply use a drill with socket attached, pull trigger, and turn over engine.   Sounds, and looks good to me.   Any thoughts.

KC9KAS

Very neat idea, but my batteries are usually dead when I need them the most!

I think he will be able to find a replacement spring for the B/S engine.

• Like 1

squonk

I did that with an old walk behind Gravely. Thing was a bear to start with a rope. Had an old 1/2" All steel case B&D drill. cut off an old 1/2" socket extension and but the socket on. It was like starting an Indy car. The drill just about twisted my arms off!!

953 nut

Not too safe! If the engine RPMs go higher than the drill it could twist the drill out of your hands. I think an air wrench will free wheel and let you pull the socket off the crank nut safely, though I have not attempted it. 

:USA: 

sorekiwi

I've done it with an impact gun.

squonk

I tried an impact on the Gravely. The gun just impacted and didn't spin. This was a fairly new IR 1/2" gun too. :jaw:

if it was an emergency and you had to get it going because the power was out i can see doing it , but now she has it messed up so you can't fix it properly. a spring is not hard to replace , and  you could keep a spare

caseybgilbert

If I remember correctly, northern tool actually offered a product that would enable you to start a small engine with a drill. It has been several years since I saw it though.

rmaynard

Not too safe! If the engine RPMs go higher than the drill it could twist the drill out of your hands...

Once the engine starts, the one-way clutch in the recoil mechanism will prevent that from happening. The same way that once the engine starts, the starter rope doesn't get yanked back into the starter.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

Racinbob

I may be wrong rmaynard but I believe the clutch you are talking about was in the recoil assembly that was removed. I think he's directly on the crankshaft. I've done this a few times with no problems but I thinking a repair would be a better idea.

rmaynard

The part that is sticking out of the grass screen is this:

post-2221-0-83781200-1364816392.jpg

This is a one-way clutch. A 7/8" socket will fit over it. Once the engine is running on it's own, the one-way feature prevents the drill from being yanked out of your hands as I stated above.

Save Old Iron

Too late folks - once someone applies the "Awesome" tag to an effort, the shields are up and all criticisms just bounce off.

As I was getting bored half way thru the video, I started asking myself how the engine is supposed to cool the cylinder head without the tin in place. Looks like da Vinci unknowingly dodged that bullet by trying to "protect himself" from the spinning flywheel. I could have used that gas tank when he parted it out on Ebay!

rmaynard

:huhs: 

SousaKerry

I have done this but with one running engine and one non and a long belt between the pto pullies. 

jachady

I've used an impact before and had the crank rip at the threads.  There can be too much torque.

Racinbob

I'm guilty of not watching the video before replying the first time. In the static picture he indeed was directly on the crankshaft. As I was watching it I'm thinking he isn't getting the proper airflow over the engine with the shrould removed, which took the clutch with it. THEN, he put it back on and drilled the hole. Safer for him, better for the engine.

groundhog47

If I remember correctly, northern tool actually offered a product that would enable you to start a small engine with a drill. It has been several years since I saw it though.

Installed one  for an elder gent, pull start remained intact, had a cup above and rubber ball like end that fit drill. Worked well. Tried the big 7/8 horse on a Honda 3 wheeler crank nut,  :banghead: didn't work very well! And Hello Mr Gilbert  :)

groundhog47

Just need to remember don't remove screen or if done put back in screws or starter clutch might come open and loose your little round thingys, yup I did that, want forget either!

The part that is sticking out of the grass screen is this:

attachicon.gif2012-03-25_210831_starter_clutch.jpg

This is a one-way clutch. A 7/8" socket will fit over it. Once the engine is running on it's own, the one-way feature prevents the drill from being yanked out of your hands as I stated above.

groundhog47

And the bolts are 1/4-20, the spring if very end snapped can be renotched also, but let me not be so critical, I make those little/big mistakes too! Extremely neat "dog house"

Very neat idea, but my batteries are usually dead when I need them the most!

I think he will be able to find a replacement spring for the B/S engine.

Kai Thomsen

Maybe it's just me.. but to me it seems like there is no compression left in that engine ?  
I have an almost identical generator with a 7 or 8HP Briggs (not sure about the numbers)  and after it got a new piston and rings and valve job..it takes a good pull to get it past the compression.
Since then i found the flywheel and starter and shroud from a 8hp lawntractor engine, even the ignition coil was a direct replacement so i don't have to bother with burned out points anymore,  and it still has the pullstart on.

No battery though.. if it wont start i just get the jumpercables out and start it from the battery on the wheel horse.

Nice idea though with the cordless drill.