Sign in to follow this  
unsub

Oil leak Kohler M-14 314-8 - need help diagnosing

unsub

Ok, so I noticed a small circle of oil under my 314-8 earlier this winter when I headed out to do some snow blowing.  I put a piece of cardboard under it when I parked it and I'm guessing it's been sitting for a month or better now.  As you can see from the attached pic, I have a leak. I think the cardboard absorbing it makes it look larger than it really is. I'm having a hard time seeing where it comes from, but it ends up centered to the flywheel side of the engine. I don't see wetness around the PTO.  I searched the forum, but I don't see any common problem popping out at me.  I have yet to remove any parts to thoroughly diagnose.  I wanted to throw it out here to see if anyone had any good suggestions or tips before I get too deep into it.  Anyone know where it's likely coming from?

Thanks.

post-6536-0-44917600-1364690844_thumb.jp

Rock farmer

My thought would be that your oil drain plug is leaking?

Joe

rmaynard

My guess would be the front oil seal. Next area would be the bearing plate gasket.

Martin

sounds like the crankshaft seal on the flywheel side. i have one or two that are a little damp there as well. usually after running them and putting them away they leak a little. if you get down underneath you might see that the oil is coming from between the bearing plate and blower housing. if its coming down the back of the bearing plate then its probably leaking from the bearing plate shims (gasket(s) that set the bearing side clearance). 

could be the oil pan gasket leaking on that side of the engine too......

bob, your fast typing beat me to it!...

Edited by Martin

MalMac

There was a service bulletin a few years back about Kohler K and Magnum's  having issues with main crank oil seals actually moving or trying to spin with the crank. Been along time ago I seen this, Kohler's remedy for this was to use alittle orange gasket seller on the seal it self where it mates to the block not letting it touch the crank. Like I said been a long time ago don't quite remember. This is just one suggestion. Could be a number of things like mention in the prior post.

can whlvr

could be the gasket between the block and oil pan,also check the oil filler tube,they can leak alot too,you need to clean her and watch her close

unsub

Thanks for the advise guys.  Now I have to find some time to get into it a little deeper.

sorekiwi

Easiest fix might be to just change the cardboard more often??   :hide:

• Like 2

BOWTIE

I HAD A DRIP ON MY 1999 314-8 AND IT WAS THE OIL DRAIN CAP. TEFLON TAPE AND IT WAS FIXED. CLEAN IT GOOD,WIPE IT DOWN WITH PAPER TOWELS. DON'T START IT AND SEE IF IT STILL DRIPPING. IF SO IT WILL BE THE DRAIN OR PAN GASKET.

BOWTIE