Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Brush Cutting Choke Cherries

IthacaJeff

Hi all:

I figure the gardening section the most appropriate for this topic. I've got about 4 ac that we have

done nothing with since building our house on the lot. The field is now overgrown with ragweed

and goldenrod and quickly being taken over by choke cherry "trees". Nasty, ugly things with nasty

tasting fruit. It is amazing how quickly these are taking over. If they were any other type of tree we

would let them grow, but these are just woody weeds.

We want to brush hog them down. Many are about 6', with trunks up to 2" in diameter. Will a

brush hog work? If so, what size mower and tractor?  We don't have this type of equipment, but we

need to either rent or hire out. Just need to know what to ask for.

Thanks,

Jeff

octfst

you should have no problem bush hogging them down. you will need something around 25hp or bigger & a 5ft or so rottary cutter. I used to have a DR walk behind bush hog that did very well but 4 ac by hand would be a lot of work & 2in would be around its max. but will go places the tractor wont.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Yeah I second that, anything with about 25-35HP and a 5' single bladed deck should chew right through it.  A flail mower would do well also, anything with non-fixed blades so that if it does hit something they don't break anything.

buckrancher

Is it a good paying job Jeff?

Edited by buckrancher

AMC RULES

I wonder if a stainless steel sickle bar might make short work of 'em?    :) 

kaiser

the big dr walk behind is a beast, if i recall correctly it's limit is 2.5".

we almost bought a large piece of property that was so overgrown i was looking into the dr's, they are $$$$$.

IthacaJeff

Brian;

I'm thinking its mostly me renting something! Or, seeing if I can convince my neighbor to bring over

his 15' batwing mower that he shares with another guy. Couple of times during the season he will

mow down his field. . . I'm looking for info that asking him to mow down these choke cherries 

would not be out of the question.

You got a brush hog on that Kubota?

Jeff

Don1977

The best thing would be a 25 to 35 HP farm tractor and a chain to pull the out. I guess is if they are 2" in diameter they will sprout back out, I know for sure the wild cherries around here will.  I use a chain with a slip hook wrap the chain twice and hook it.

DOC in Kentucky

Question,: what are choke cherries?, I am not familiar with them here in the midwest?

buckrancher

You got a brush hog on that Kubota?

Jeff

yes

CasualObserver

Question,: what are choke cherries?, I am not familiar with them here in the midwest?

Doc... maybe you just don't have them immediately around you or you call it something else.  They're pretty much everywhere. Birds eat the fruit and poop the seeds, so... they can be prevalent in roadsides or unkept grassy areas..  It's just a woody shrubby weed essentially.

VinsRJ

I would go with the gasoline and match route. Just stand back and watch, LOL!

leeave96

2 inches is pretty big.  You might want to hire someone to come-in and brush hog the place to save some $$$$'s buying a tractor.

Also, an option to a DR mower is a used Gravely 2 wheel tractor with the 30 inch brush hog deck.  I've got one of these and they are great brush cutters.  I've also got a riding sulky I use where the mowing is flat.

Good luck,

Bill

IthacaJeff

Sorry that's its been a week or so to visit my own thread.  To update, here is the situation. Choke cherries

are a variety of cherry tree, growing somewhat brush-like, but normally with a main trunk. They are highly

branched, and the small branches, before budding, are sharp as thorns. They will grow a dark red/black

berry that is about 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter. Actually, gazillions of berries. The problem is the berries

are highly astrigent in taste. Edible, but not really. They are growing like weeds, creating dense growth

patches that are impossible to walk through without getting all scratched up. We've got a 100+ growing

over about 3/4 of an acre of our 4 ac field. They are spreading rapidly. Three years ago when we moved

onto this property and built a house there was only ragweed and goldenrod visible in the field. 

Cutting them down is not a priority this season, but within the next couple of years we will need to do so.

Jeff