Sign in to follow this  
HokieAg07

Steering Issue

HokieAg07

Well lets just say I had a little accident today and ran the right front wheel into a tree stump. :roll: It hit hard enough to result in the steering wheel being 90 degrees off of center. I did a thorough inspection of the tractor and found no actual damage to steering or axle components. Subsequent test drive yielded no issues. 

I imagine that the force of the impact allowed the steering shaft to jump a tooth on the fan gear, what is the easiest way to remedy this situation? 

WH854

Well lets just say I had a little accident today and ran the right front wheel into a tree stump. :roll: It hit hard enough to result in the steering wheel being 90 degrees off of center. I did a thorough inspection of the tractor and found no actual damage to steering or axle components. Subsequent test drive yielded no issues. 

I imagine that the force of the impact allowed the steering shaft to jump a tooth on the fan gear, what is the easiest way to remedy this situation? 

Should be a collar up below the hood stand with a set screw in it. Loosen it raise the steering a bit set it with the front wheels :thumbs:

Chas

sorekiwi

Take a good look at the cast iron steering support at the bottom of the column.  It is reasonably common for these to be broken, but look ok without a close inspection.

• Like 2

leeave96

Which tractor took the hit?

HokieAg07

Tankman

416Peek-a-boo at the console too. I've seen the 16 ga sheet metal lip bend up when the shaft hit.

My opinion, a poor design. Be sure the lip is level or, bent down a little bit.

KC9KAS

.............and grind the stump out! :teasing-poke:

Whmaverick

Ouch, something gotta give, now ya need to find it. When you do try to get us some pics.

HokieAg07

Finally got around to this today, tooth jumped on fan gear. No damage elsewhere after close inspection. Loosened the collar on the shaft and got everything lined up again. 

Wheel-N-It

Glad you got everything back to normal :)