Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Need help with sandblaster...

Kevbo

Hey guys I bought this sandblaster at harbor freight and have it hooked up to my air compressor pictures below. I'm using aluminum oxide as my media and my problem is that there does not seem to be enough PSI at the tip to push out the media. I removed the

gasket at the tip but then of blew out too much media without really doing much blasting on the metal. The tank guage says its getting 125PSI which is the max but is my cheap harbor freight nozzle the problem?? Any recommendations? Is my compressor not strong enough?

DFA33549-6552-4AA5-A19F-3F4D77AC8E0A-837

9F79B99F-6CA9-4315-9D8C-EAC908A154E9-837

squonk

That is an awful tiny compressor to do any blasting. You might have 125psi but little SCFM. I have seen the cheap blasters come with the orifices missing from the nozzle. But I think When you hit the trigger your dumping all the air out of the tanks pretty quick. I you want good info on blasting go here:

http://www.tptools.com/

Edited by squonk

roscoemi

:text-yeahthat:  I think you need more compressor.

refracman

I have the same blaster and use a 11.9 cfm @ 90psi comppressor with a 60 gallon tank and I still run it out of air. The compressor you have is way undersized to do any major blasting and with it being oil less, it won't going to last very long using it like that.

The alum ox media is more for a cabinet the free blasting because of the cost.

I use the slag media from TSC its only $8 - 9 for a 50lb bag. Make a outside cabinet out of full sheets of plywood and recycle your media 2 times.

wallfish

Agree, more compressor needed.  

If you check the requirements for the blaster it should give you the minimum CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) and the minimum psi that it needs to operate. I think it may be around 6 cfm at 90 psi.  

• Like 1

Kevbo

So in that case do I need a gas powered compressor? What do you guys recommend? If I have to sell the one I have sitting there on cragislist to make some funds, I'm willing to do so. However I'm really not looking to buy a $1,000 compressor. Any suggestions or recommmendations? How much HP should the compressor have?

rydogg

I think I have the same compressor...these are great for contractors running air guns due to their quick recovery time and portability but do not have the volume or pump to keep up with a sandblaster.  I picked up a used 80 gallon with a 2 stage 18-23cfm pump for blasting, painting and air tools, you could probably use a 30 gallon compressor as long as the pump can keep up.

craigslist361.jpg

craigslist602.jpg

Kevbo

So what really matters is the CFM within the pump correct?

squonk

Like I said. Go to the TP tools web site. They have all the info you need about compressors and blasting.

TSC sells the compressor I have for about $470.00. I used to run a pot blaster and cabinet with it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/campbell-hausfeldreg%3B-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor

• Like 1

Whmaverick

a ten dollar kiddy pool and some washing soda, fill it with water put half cup of washing soda per five gallons water and some fence or rebar, whatever you got laying around and a battery charger and about 12 hrs on each side and abra cadabra no more rust, just rinse it away with a garden hose.  :)  simple as that, kinda

• Like 1

GlenPettit

•• I have the same Harbor Freight sandblaster but with a large 50 gal - 7hp compressor, you really need the power to run the sandblaster, and a big compressor is well worth the $500, (with an auto-drain), it will last your lifetime and can run everything.
•• My major problem has been the Michigan humidity (moisture in the media), keep it very dry and the system will do a very good job.
•• It's not real fast, but will remove all the paint and rust, you can recycle the media several times, you'll learn to stay upwind of your work, be sure to etch & prime soon after and away from blasting to prevent rust from starting. TSC media is a good value.
•• You can store air up in several connected small tanks. (Old style Propane tanks work great & are easy to convert, and I think this is a safe practice, it's working?) A smaller unit like yours can produce the 125psi, but can only make so much per minute, SCFM, your sandblaster uses up much more than you can produce, per minute -- but a greater stored volume of air will let you blast for a couple of minutes, then you have to stop for 5-10 minutes so your current compressor can restore up all that air again.  Used larger air tanks usually sell inexpensively, it's the pumps that go bad.

Dresden Guy

Squonk,

The TP tools is a great resource.... I need several items that they sell for my Cabinet Sandblaster. Thanks

Steve aka Dresden Guy

Like I said. Go to the TP tools web site. They have all the info you need about compressors and blasting.

TSC sells the compressor I have for about $470.00. I used to run a pot blaster and cabinet with it.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/campbell-hausfeldreg%3B-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor

Fun Engineer

Like everyone has said you need a bigger compressor that puts out more cubic feet per minute.

I've been runnning an oil-less 6 hp with25 gallon tank with 5.6 cfm at 90 psi for the last 15 years and it was not enough cfm. It took 10 times longer to sandblast than it does with my new compressor.  I recently bought a Ingersol Rand with 80 gallon tank at TSC  that will give me 15.8 cfm at 90 psi.  This will be enough for my sandblast cabinet and HF blaster like you have. A compressor like this takes 220 volts and is not cheap. (on sale it was just under $1000)  But if you intend to do a lot of blasting and painting its a must have.  You should be able to find something at Lowes, TSC that will do the job in the $600-$800 range.  However you may need to rest it from time to time so it builds up more presssure and volume. 

I like the e-tank process and intend to try it this summer.  I intend to do a quick sandblast to remove most of the surface rust and paint and then allow the e-tank to get into the deep pores of the metal and remove the imbeded rust.

Hope this helps.

6wheeler

In sandblasting, SIZE DOES MATTER. I have an IR 2 cyl. 110 gallon compressor that I use with mine. I tried a 40 gallon but it just couldn't keep up.

Kevbo

Hey guys I just saw this as an opportunity. Sadly, there is no way I can get enough electric into my garage for a 230v compressor...so I have looked toward gas powered compressors for the CFM needed. These new again are easily over $1,000 but I saw a used one that is within my price range.

It is an EMGLO 5.5HP Honda

• 8.9 CFM Cubic Feet (of air) Per Minute
  • Twin cylinder, cast iron, oil lubricated pump with Emglo's 50 years of proven durability and reliability
  • Low oil shut off provides greater engine protection
  • Low profile design for easy maneuverability
  • Ball valve drain allows for quick and thorough tank draining
  • Fully-Pneumatic tire improves worksite mobility
  • Automatic idle control for reduced fuel consumption

Here is a picture of the model:

115-K5HGA-8Peps_2_zps0287e09f.jpg

It looks to be only 1 cylinder even though the description lists two? Am I correct?

THE REAL QUESTION --> Would I be able to sandblast with this? Would I be able to effectively use a paint gun with this?

squonk

I'm not sure but I think that compressor will have to run like a banshee to keep up. Do you have electric in your garage at all? If so how far is your garage from your house? I don't have the biggest service to my garage, but it's a 75Ft run and I can have lights and a radio on and still fire up My CH 6 hp comp.

pACE3-8230737enh-z7_zps5f464ffe.jpg

Iggy68

That gas compressor still won't run the sandblaster. I have one similar to it I have had for years and it is made for construction sites, nail guns and such. It does a great job for the short burst of air required for that. I used to run four framing guns off of it at once but the constant air needed for painting or blasting it will not handle. You are better off getting one of the bigger compressors even if it means you have to do it in stages, power then compressor.

Kevbo

Hmmmm.... ok well let me explain my garage situation and maybe some of you can help. :scratchead:

In my garage I tend to blow the breaker in my basement when running a load such as my current air compressor. So I have to route a 100ft heavy extension cord from my basement to my garage or up the hill in my backyard if I want to use any electric up there.

My extension cord setup :roll:

0CD3BDC2-A325-4F23-86E9-8E875F53D390-168

3AB97A24-605F-4BE4-A95A-297CE84CD690-168

Now here is the breaker box that is used in my house...I have no idea what this all means as I have little experience besides wiring an outlet and switch.

5AAC468A-695A-4EB7-BB03-8AAD8062A317-168

A7A9B16E-5BF4-4A55-BA66-87BAF4E50D65-168

C93B0EE7-CA1F-4108-85F4-BF98B08E5504-168

Here is how the electric runs to my garage:

DA835CC2-043C-432A-B244-6262FB71ECFA-168

5363E232-6E3A-493E-90A3-E380DB534EF5-168

These are the available outlets:

F64D96D9-5FA5-4510-9956-CF93F1FB0C99-168

B2C88EAD-6CFD-4E21-B87E-BD184DDB4D51-168

Now it is not just my garage connected to the one breaker...BREAKER #14 connects both the garage and much of my upstairs lighting and dare I say even my kitchen refrigerator! Since this house was built in 1922 you can see the electrical predicament I am dealing with. I think the house was rewired in 80s but this is an ongoing challenge of mine in my garage.

So...what do you think? I can't necessarily as of right now run a 230v compressor? Is it possible to in someway with my breaker box? Do I still have a gas powered compressor as an option? I would love an upright 230v compressor in my garage to power everything. As of right now though I can't even paint this spring with the compressor I have  :angry-banghead:  

Any advice would be much appreciated, If anyone knows how to deal with this it would be you guys!

squonk

I see you have an A/c breaker. you might be able to have an electrician put an outlet out by the a/c unit if there isn't all ready one there. Then go to Lowes buy 100 Ft. of 10 ga 3 wire extension cord. Put the proper ends on.Then you can make a pig tail off of your compressor and plug it in. It isn't right but it will work in a pinch. Or TSC has this compressor that runs on 120 V My B-I-L has one. Still not the greatest but it will get by if you don't do a lot of blasting. Or just wait on blasting and have an electrician up grade the electric supply. You will thank yourself in the end. You got all those tractors to up keep.Do yourself a big favor and upgrade the electric.

IMG_0041_zps6999415f.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsa3e3e6cb.jpg

roscoemi

Upgrade the electric service first, as Squonk says you will be better off in the long run. I didn't say this, but you could run some heavy cable off the hot lugs of the house panel (bypassing it) to a small breaker panel. Then run to your compressor, I did this to power my shed till I could locate the breaker I needed to add to the house panel. In the shed panel I have a breaker for my generator to backfeed the shed and house after I shut off the house main breaker so as to not back feed the entire line(gotta look out for those sparky's).

octfst

I used to run my cabinet with a Craftsman 5hp 20 gal 110v/220v but it worked it 5min blast 10-15 min recovery. not sure you can get a affordable home compressure to do a real good job.

Edited by octfst

KC9KAS

1st and foremost, you need a seperate electric service for your garage, or a dedicated circuit from your house panel with a panel in the garage.

As long as you are tripping the breaker, you are pulling too many amps (probably a 20 amp breaker).

If you do not have the expertise for the electrical, get a friend that knows what they are doing, or hire a professional electrician before you burn your house & garage down!

• Like 1

can whlvr

i have done alot of sand blasting,im a stone mason,concrete installer,and i have done alot of equipment,ive rented compressors with 16 hp twin honda with 60 gallon tank,not enough air,you still have to stop and let it catch up,thats when alot of sand is wasted,starting and stopping,i have a friend with a pair of 10 hp electrical 540 volt compressors  that i go and use,even they run wide open when blasting,we use sandblasters to remove stains on concrete,old mortar,clean stone from years of carbon,we rent the tow behind sullairs compressor that can give enough cfm,s to run at 100 psi continuosly,dont waste your money on a small compressor,they are not capable

Save Old Iron

One other option - since I am in nearly the same situation as you are.

Place a 220 volt compressor in your basement (temporarily). Wire the compressor into your existing panel. This will prevent the cost of an expensive extension cord or the immediate up front expense of wiring to the garage. You can then run a heavy duty airhose to the garage (if you plan to house the blaster cabinet there).

The airhose will also reach an area of the lawn to do some free range blasting.  I personally run 100 feet of 1/2 hose to my garage into a blast cabinet. I restrict the airflow thru the blast gun with a smaller 3mm nozzle. Going to a smaller nozzle will slow down the blast process but it will allow you to blast smaller objects without any difficulty - even with a smaller air compressor.

For something the size of your mower deck, WHmaverick hit it on the head - use electrolysis. You can construct an appropriately sized wooden frame to accommodate the deck, line the frame with a plastic tarp and gently place the deck in the plastic liner. Fill with water/ wash soda mix and place electrodes above the deck. Power up with your battery charger and 24 - 48 hours later - you have a clean topside. Carefully flip the deck over and repeat for the the underside. The deck will be as clean - maybe cleaner - than sandblasting.  You might only be in for $20 or so materials to create your own custom electrolysis tank.

If any residue remains you feel you must get off by sandblasting, fit up a small HF handheld gun and blast away at smaller areas until you are satisfied. Home Depot also sells phosphoric acid than can remove any rust residue which forms on the deck during the "flipping over" process. Brush on the acid, let it sit for 30 minutes and hose off the remainder. The deck will now have a rustproof phosphate coating that makes an excellent base for primer.

Fun Engineer

I see you have an A/c breaker. you might be able to have an electrician put an outlet out by the a/c unit if there isn't all ready one there. Then go to Lowes buy 100 Ft. of 10 ga 3 wire extension cord. Put the proper ends on.Then you can make a pig tail off of your compressor and plug it in. It isn't right but it will work in a pinch. Or TSC has this compressor that runs on 120 V My B-I-L has one. Still not the greatest but it will get by if you don't do a lot of blasting. Or just wait on blasting and have an electrician up grade the electric supply. You will thank yourself in the end. You got all those tractors to up keep.Do yourself a big favor and upgrade the electric.

IMG_0041_zps6999415f.jpg

IMG_0042_zpsa3e3e6cb.jpg

Mike

I'm not so sure this compressor will do the job.  It's still pretty light on the cfm's needed for most blasters.

SOI You've got a good idea if Kevin has the room in the basement and an army of friends to carry the compressor down to it.

SOI and roscoemi (Russ) has a good solution as long as you have the patience.  Upgrade your service panel and add a subpanel to the garage. It will improve your garage service as well as the house. This will also earn you points with your better half. You can always do the compressor in the future.