Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chrisd200(inactive)

D160 with external park brake

Recommended Posts

chrisd200(inactive)

This D160 that I picked up last weekend has a feature on it that I have not come across before. It has an external brake similar to the style that a "C" series manual transmission uses. I haven't seen that on a "D" before. All of the D's I have seen use the internal brake paw. Also has an electric cooling fan pointing at the hydro manifold. How rare is that. My other D160 and my D200 do not have either of these features. Any thoughts????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Foozerush

Interesting... Any pics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
chrisd200(inactive)

Gotta get some taken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wheeledhorseman

I have two D-200s. The first is a 1977 model and that has the internal pawl brake, the latest addition is a 1978 model and that has an external band brake mounted on the hydro motor unit. Was it a change perhaps as the pawl brakes kept getting broken off?

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
chrisd200(inactive)

We all know after this many years that the paws breaking is certainly a problem. Just didn't know that Wheel Horse actually made a change at some point in production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
canam1991

i believe 78-80 had external parking band and cooling fan also upgraded steering. my 1980 d160 has both C series will also work my D has a  C hydro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
chrisd200(inactive)

Huh. interesting. Upgraded steering too? Whats different about the steering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
JackC

canam1999, what did the upgraded steering consist of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
brandonozz

I have a 77 with the internal brake and a 79 with the external band - both D-200's and came from the same dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wheeledhorseman

'78 seems to be the year of change. I haven't had the time to take a good look over my 'new' D-200 in detail but there are a number of differences with the other from '77.

 

Don't know if it applies to the D-160 but as well as the band brake, the decals changed to the style of the C-121 introduced the same year and the headlamp bezel decal is black. An hours meter appears to have become an optional extra, even on a D-200; the plastic dash has an easy to cut away blank where it could be added. The rear wheel rims changed from the traditional style (which could be fitted either way round to produce wide or narrow track) to a much wider rim which only fits one way round and is made (I guess) in two halves welded together.

 

I'll take a look at the steering out of interest - but what am I looking for?

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
canam1991

the steering pivot arm looks much stronger on my 80 160 than it did on my 74 180

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
chrisd200(inactive)

Wow, never knew there were so many changes made to the D over the years. I knew the decals and headlight bezels change but that was about it. Cool info guys, keep it comin! Thanks!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
gwest_ca

Transmission cooling fan 1979-1982 model 8-4125 Fits D-160, D-200, Standard equipment on 91-20KS02

 

Use model number 84125 at Toro

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

 

It is also mentioned in service bulletin

WH61-90 #242 D-Series FEL requirements

 

Garry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
chrisd200(inactive)

How do you guys know this kind of info? Great work, Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • BuffaloD200
      By BuffaloD200
      Finally getting around to working on my ark loader.  The previous owner said he thinks the problem is with the spool valve.  
      As I've learned a bit more about hydraulics now, I'd like to get this all sorted out.  
      I noticed the power beyond port is connected to the reservoir return.  Is that right?  
      Anyone see anything blatantly incorrect?



    • ccs002
      By ccs002
      Looking for a complete hydro pump for a D-160. Tractor is missing everything from the rubber coupler disc back. Also willing to buy a complete tractor for parts, the closer to Harrisonburg VA the better. Thank you. 
    • tractorboy79
      By tractorboy79
      I was looking around on ebay and noticed that hydraulic actuators from John Deere 312, 317, etc models appear to be Identical to a Gt14 or d series lift cylinder. My question is would a new cylinder from ebay be able to replace one that is on a gt14 or d series?
       
      Images below of cylinders to show similaritys.


    • BuffaloD200
      By BuffaloD200
      '74 D-180
       
      My friction disc in gone on my clutch.  I saw the old post about making a new friction disc, so I'm not concerned about that.
      I managed to remove the front clutch plate and double v-belt pulley.  But I can't separate the two.  When I took the assembly off the spiraloc washer popped off on its own.  I HAVE READ THE MANUALS.
      So I should be able to just remove the pulley from the front clutch and continue with step 4.  The v-belt pulley is loose as all hell and flops around like a dead fish.  It seems to be hung up on a ring or bearing race.  
      So my thoughts are grab a BFH or sparky the blue tip wrench.
      Is there an unpublished step 3.5, or some trick?
    • BuffaloD200
      By BuffaloD200
      Hey all, 
       
      My '74 D180 has a lot of trouble pushing snow.  Weighted tires, but nothing else at this time.  I've found it gets stuck frequently and only one wheel spins.  Do these tractors not have a limited slip/locker arrangement?  How does everyone manage with the infamous one wheel peel?
×
×
  • Create New...