Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

10 Automatic ?

eibbed

I just purchased a 10 Automatic today. The model # is 104758 and the serial # is 936397. Is this a no name mower, or something else?

DMESS

1973 is the year of "The Horse with no name"! B) That's it......10 Automatic, 16 Automatic, etc. Wheel Horse wasn't very inventive that year. 1974 began the fabled A, B, C, D series which managed to stick for quite a few years.

eibbed

Thanks Dustin,

I like owning a no name Wheelhorse.

There is a sticker on the mower thay says " To hand push tractor open valve one turn". It has an arrow on it pointing to the mower. I do not see anything that even closely resembles a handle or whatever to open a valve. I think I am missing something, but I'm not sure.

Dave

DMESS

Replid to your PM Dave! B)

Torino

I think that is one area WH missed up. Deciding on names and sticking to them. I like the names they had in the late 60's, but just stick with something. Switching around like they did just made things confusing.

T-Mo

What would be confusing is what JD has done in recent years. In the '60's they came out with the 110 and 112 garden tractor. Then in 1985, they came out with a 112L LAWN tractor which while the older 112 was a GARDEN tractor. And in recent years they came out with the L-110 LAWN tractor, which a lot of people just call a 110 (which is no way related to the heavy duty garden tractor 110's of the '60's and early '70s. In 1979 they came out with the 111 and again, recently, they came out with the L-111, again no where near resembling the 111's on the late 70's and early 80's.

The point is, JD reuses model numbers for totally different machines. Now, that's confusing. B)

Duff

JD - confusing? Ya THINK? :whistle:B)

(Couldn't resist.....)

Duff, aka Deereman B)

curly

To me JD is very much over-rated for what it really is. Seems they came out with the duped numbers to try and lure people into thinking they were the same heavy duty and quality of the old numbers. There is 1 thing good about a JD it brings pretty good money for salvage. The high prices at JD drives people to used parts. B)

Torino

I can keep up with the old Jd's a lot better. At least they stuck with the same names or in there case numbers until a totally different model was introduce. One mistake they made is when they updated the 300 series they keep it the 300 series instead of changing it. So you have old 300's and newer ones. If that makes since.