Sign in to follow this  
rexman72

need to replace bearing on two stage

rexman72

blower.I took of the belt pulley and the chain pulley.Theres a left and right collar holding the bearings and i cant seem to figure out how to get the shaft with the bearing out because the collars are holding the bearings.does anyone know how i would go about getting the jack shaft out with the bearings.thanks

wallfish

Take one of the side plates off, it's 6 bolts holding it on

rexman72

john i dont think i explained this correctly.the bearings are in front of the tractor and behind the blower.its where  the belt from the pto goes on the pulley and the shaft has the belt pulley one side and the chain pulley which drives the shaft for the auger on the other side of the frame housing.theres collars on each side that wont allow the shaft with bearings on it.

wallfish

Are you talking about the bearings for the gear box?

rexman72

yes john its the gearbox.the shaft has collars on it that are bolted onto the gearbox itself holding the bearings in it.I unbolted the collars but theyhave a lip thatholds the bearings and wont let me pullthe shaft through the gearbox holes.

wallfish

The gearboxes that I have opened up use a snap ring / retaining ring that retains the shaft. Could that "lip" you are referring to be a snap ring?

post-658-0-97897200-1362924090.jpg

wallfish

OK, I went out to take a look at mine and it's the same type of Peerless gearbox I had opened up before. You will need to take the flat side plate off and work your way through all the grease to find the holes in the snap ring. An angled pair of snap ring pliers work best for spreading it open and the shaft will slide out through the ring, gear and bearing. You may want to replace the seal too since you are already in there. If the bearing is shot, it probably ruined the seal too.  

Here's a cheap set of snap ring pliers from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/snap-ring-pliers-with-interchangeable-heads-3316.html

It may be possible to remove the bearing without pulling the shaft but could be a pain to do it that way.

post-658-0-98850700-1362925533.jpg

rexman72

i think i am going to pull the shaft anyways and do it all right.I looked and found where i need to cut and your right theres so much grease there.thanks for your help

wallfish

You shouldn't need to cut the ring. It just needs to open up a little to get it out of the groove in the shaft that it sits in.