Sign in to follow this  
gumshoes

NOS K91,

gumshoes

I just picked up a NOS Kohler K91 from and old wheel horse dealer. It had been on his shelf for around 50 years. Last year I bought a NOS Suburban hood from him which turned out to be a replacement hood. I'm sure that the engine has never been mounted or started and everything on the engine is new. There is no paint loss on the mounting holes or on the muffler or nipple pipe. In doing some research the engine was built in 1967 so it appears to be a replacement engine from wheel horse for either an RJ or Suburban. It does have some chips in the paint and scratches from being on the shelf. I am just wondering if I should just clean it up and leave it alone or maybe give it a nice new paint job and try to start it. Have a nice night. Thanks Dave

The serial number on the K91 T engine is C182739 and the Spec # is 31388B.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Very nice find for sure...I would just clean it up and put it on the mantle of my fire place. :)   31388A was on the 1960 Suburbans...not sure what the A and B mean.

Ken B

Looks real nice, I wouldn't paint it. that would ruin its originality IMO.

TT

NOS, huh? :scratchead:

Is the data plate screwed or riveted to the blower housing?

VinsRJ

Looks like a nice motor! But as far as I know that would not be the correct recoil for a Suburban.... I'm thinking one of those smaller aluminum Fairbanks...

Ken B

Pull the head, or maybe even just the muffler and pipe and shine a light in there. You'll have a much better idea if it is actually NOS if you do.

Edited by Ken B

gumshoes

The data plate is screwed on. The nipple pipe looks kind of short. I guess I will never know where it came from or what it was made for. I have owned a lot of K91's over the years and I will say that the compression on this one is strong. It also had oil in it and it was so clean it was almost completely clear. I might mount it on a nice piece of stained oak and bring it to the show. I did find another new one ten years ago. It had a wire recoil rope and was built in 1959. An old guy had in in Vermont and I paid $100.00 for it at a swap meet. After a year I had to start it. I put it on a suburban which like an idiot I sold.

I pulled the plug out and looked at the top of the piston and it did look clean. Has anyone seen a mufler like this before.

groundhog47

What a beauty, can come visit me anytime. Huh in my dreams! Did you take it off classified?  

I just picked up a NOS Kohler K91 from and old wheel horse dealer. It had been on his shelf for around 50 years. Last year I bought a NOS Suburban hood from him which turned out to be a replacement hood. I'm sure that the engine has never been mounted or started and everything on the engine is new. There is no paint loss on the mounting holes or on the muffler or nipple pipe. In doing some research the engine was built in 1967 so it appears to be a replacement engine from wheel horse for either an RJ or Suburban. It does have some chips in the paint and scratches from being on the shelf. I am just wondering if I should just clean it up and leave it alone or maybe give it a nice new paint job and try to start it. Have a nice night. Thanks Dave

Martin

by looking at the pics, im with tt on this one......

the fasteners look too 'new' to be nos. look at the air cleaner wing nut and compare to the recoil screws and blower housing bolts. the blower housing bolts also dont look right......

and then theres the spec plate fasteners..........

some more close up detail shots and im sure some others 'familiar' with these model engines would be able to tell for sure......

groundhog47

Yup, see you did, guess I'd put in a vault for, I don't think I'd have the heart to mar that finish. True historical show piece!  

What a beauty, can come visit me anytime. Huh in my dreams! Did you take it off classified?  

gumshoes

Hey if anyone is looking for any parts let me know. I'm trying to help this guy sell this stuff. He has some NOS decks, snow blowers, plows, and about 25 hoods. A few of the hoods are new. There is a mid 60's snow blower that if it isn't new it's close to it. Today I saw new RJ gears, hitches. I'm not trying to make any money on this stuff I just want to see it being used again. Most has been sitting in this buiolding for 20,30 and 50 years. Email me at ontuyou@aol.com. He isn't asking crazy prices either. Very fair.

rayshorses

Hi Dave . That looks like a nice find. Did it come from the dealer in RI that you told me about ? The tall chute snowblower that i picked up from you a couple months ago works great in front of the C-160.

Is the D series tractor still parked at the garage near your house? I left a note there to see if they wanted to sell it , but didnt get a reply.

gumshoes

No not RI. I will stop by and ask if he wants to sell it. Let me know if you are looking for any thing. My buddy has what appears to be a early to mid 60's snow blower whis if it isn't new it looks like new. Let me know what you need. Take care Dave

Look close at the brass plug in the carb where the fuel line goes. It's a tough call. If it wasn't new why would it have that.

Wheelhorse84

What year tractors are the parts for? Any attachamatic stuff?

gumshoes

All years, there are some newer decks, snow blowers and plows but there is some 60's stuff in great shape.

Kelly

All the new Kohler engines I've seen everything was painted, bolts, carb float bowl, ect...... if the plug in the carb was factory it probably would be painted also, to keep paint from getting in the carb. and most all of them have had the plug wire painted, some even the spark plug was painted, I just replaced the plug in my gen. it has a briggs in it but the plug was painted green like the whole engine, and it's 20 years old.

stevebo

I am with terry and Kelly on this one. I have yet to see an original with unpainted hardware. I would say it was rebuilt at the dealership then sat on the shelf. I would put some gas to it and see if she is a runner.

Kevbo

All the new Kohler engines I've seen everything was painted, bolts, carb float bowl, ect...... if the plug in the carb was factory it probably would be painted also, to keep paint from getting in the carb. and most all of them have had the plug wire painted, some even the spark plug was painted, I just replaced the plug in my gen. it has a briggs in it but the plug was painted green like the whole engine, and it's 20 years old.

Learn something new everyday :handgestures-thumbupright:

gumshoes

I have to agree with you guys. It must of been totally rebuilt many years ago and placed on the shelf as everything on it is new even the recoil, cup, points and points cover, governor arm, etc...Thanks for your help guys. I'm kind of glad so now I cam start it and then give it a real nice paint job. Have a great day. :)

Don1977

The "C" before the serial no. is the engine year model 1967.  Spec. no. 31388B  the 31 is one of the numbers for a K-91 and the last 388 is changes the the basic engine. the B could stand for basic the Kohler Manual doesn't say.  The engine could also have a new short block with some old covers and new parts.