Sign in to follow this  
greenmonster304

New tractor not sure what model

greenmonster304

Hi, I am new to the forum.  I just got this tractor given to me and I wanted to fix it up a bit for my son to play with.  I am not sure what model it is.

post-9679-0-82232400-1362404406.jpg

GlenPettit

Looks like a C-125: C-85
Screenshot2013-03-04at94939AM_zps2b677b0 ( < this is a C-125)
Probably 1980, 12 hp, 8 hp. Your rear fender may have been changed(?), trainee looks ready & eager to learn. All your manuals are a free download, basically any implement from '73-'08 will fit. Nice tractor. (Serial # may be under the dash tower or under the seat) (edit: 10:20am, I agree with Jim, smaller engine . . . )

1980 C-125 8-speed #01-12K801           1980 C-85 8-speed #01-08K801
1980 C-125 Automatic #01-12KS01         1981 C-85 8-speed #01-08K802
1981 C-125 8-speed #01-12K802           1982 C-85 8-speed #01-08K803
1981 C-125 Automatic #01-12KS02          1983 C-85 8-speed #11-08K801
1982 C-125 8-speed #01-12K803

jimt1971

With the 8hp Kohler it should be a C-85.

Jim

groundhog47

:WRS:  Ain't these folks on here amazing, they can spot a tick on a deer at 100 yards. You started out right...with a picture. Looks like a good solid machine. Have fun with the New Mustang!!

greenmonster304

whats the story with the 8hp kohler?  I have a 24 HP onan off a Case Mini Sneaker that I was thinking of putting on.  do you think the drive train could handle the added power?

rexman72

welcome to RS

Lars

whats the story with the 8hp kohler?  I have a 24 HP onan off a Case Mini Sneaker that I was thinking of putting on.  do you think the drive train could handle the added power?

My brother has one whit 24 hp onan on..  it works good but he had a c165 at the start.. not sure if you have the "strong" tranny.. whit 1-1/8inch axels and 8 pinn diff..  if not you have 1 inch axels and 4 pinn diff.

qd-16

You would be very surprised what that little 8 horse can do!

dsholler

as long as it runs OK, I would leave the 8hp in there for now.. then your son will use far less gas playing around with it.  In a few years when he is old enough to want (read: is required to) do the yard work then he can help you put the bigger engine into it... :)

Wheel-N-It

Nice tractor. Welcome to RS

Sparky

My brother has one whit 24 hp onan on..  it works good but he had a c165 at the start.. not sure if you have the "strong" tranny.. whit 1-1/8inch axels and 8 pinn diff..  if not you have 1 inch axels and 4 pinn diff.

All the 8 speed Black Hoods came with the 1-1/8" axles and the 8 pinions. It'll be fine with an upgraded motor.

Mike............

KC9KAS

:WRS:  and thank you for the photo!

HokieAg07

Hi, I am new to the forum.  I just got this tractor given to me and I wanted to fix it up a bit for my son to play with.  I am not sure what model it is.

Welcome buddy, I wondered if it was you so I had to go over to Lawnsite to see and saw your post about the tractor there. This site is just as addicting!

• Like 1

greenmonster304

Welcome buddy, I wondered if it was you so I had to go over to Lawnsite to see and saw your post about the tractor there. This site is just as addicting!

Hey man small world.  I guess it takes a certain kind of person to join these types of sites.  I think it is people with an inquisitive nature.  I have seen Boots on other plumbing sites and 1eyedjim on an electrical site.

welderman85

i have the same tractor the 8hp will surprise you sometimes its a good tractor great start to the hobby

JackC

Eight horses can  do a lot of work.  

In the old days most had only one horse and lots of horse manure.

Kevbo

The 8HP Kohler is one of the most beloved kohler engines because it gets great fuel economy and has decent power for most lawn work.

JimmyJam

Welcome to Redsquare! Your son looks very happy on the tractor!!!! Best of wishes and have a great time!!!!

P'chop

:WRS: Nice tractor. looks like a C-85.