Sign in to follow this  
dbartlett1958

400 Series Rear Axle Bracket Question

dbartlett1958

I picked up a tiller today for my 416, and have all the needed parts except for the axle bracket.  Partstree shows the part number for the bracket as 104659-01.  I am wondering if that part # is a complete assembly, or just the "bracket" part of the assembly.  $75 seems a bit steep for one piece of metal.

Thanks for the help.

Also, does anyone know if this rear hitch assembly will work with one of Scott Moreau's receiver hitches?

Kelly

Not sure if that is one part or not, I have used complete axle brackets for that with shipping, and it will work with Scotts hitch, but Scotts hitch will have to be removed to use the tiller, me and him talked about that on the phone a few weeks ago.

IthacaJeff

Check the want ads here on on ebay. You should be able to get the whole assembly

for $30-50.

Jeff

dbartlett1958

Kelly & Jeff,

Thanks for the replies. I already figured out the answer to my second question regarding Scott's hitch. I lined everything up to see how it looked and realized the hitch has to come off to use the tiller.

No big deal. I have decided to make my own, and I have plenty of time before tilling season.

can whlvr

ive made a few myself and its quite easy to fab up

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

So I looked at some pictures here and on Partstree, and this is what I came up with for about $6.00 in materials and a couple hours of my time.  It may be a bit overbuilt, and not quite as pretty as the factory edition, but I can use the money I saved to buy more Wheel Horse stuff. Win-Win!

post-6729-0-39541600-1362827800_thumb.jp

post-6729-0-53858400-1362827819_thumb.jp

post-6729-0-83343400-1362827825_thumb.jp

I will weld the brace to the two axle bracket pieces when I can put it on the tractor and make sure I don't have any interference issues.

• Like 1

varosd

FABulous!! :D

can whlvr

real nice job

varosd

How big are the "safety wire" holes?  The ones on the OEM unit are a PIA to keep putting Welcome back Kotter pins or wire spring clips. I'm going to drill mine out and use a say a 1/4 quick release pin from Mcmaster-Carr.  someone already did this on an old thread but I can't find it

think this is the old thread

dbartlett1958

I made the holes for the lock pins 5/16" and will probably just use a bolt with a lock-nut to keep it there.

MaineDad

Good Ol' Maine ingenuity! 

312Hydro

Great fab work on the hitch. It's always satisfying to find a home built solution! :thumbs2:

Tankman

Great lookin' metal work! I just measured the ID on one of my axle "hangers", the ID is 11" ± 1/32".

I am using two on 400's, but, never pin the lock handle. Guess I could but, never had the need.

I have the same hangers on two older Horses and will mount another on my 520-8 after I fab some spacers. The horizontal needs to be 'bout an 1" lower when using a front dozer blade on the 520-8 with the swept forward axle.

dbartlett1958

I got my rear axle bracket welded up yesterday and put some primer and red paint on it. When I get an extra hour sometime I will pull the rear wheels and remove Scott's receiver hitch and install this and be ready for the tiller and the grader blade.

post-6729-0-35682700-1363942996_thumb.jp

• Like 2