Sign in to follow this  
brybrychrismer

how rare is a 520hc

brybrychrismer

there is a 520HC on the local CL? I was wondering how rare are they?

stevebo

they made them in 1988 and 1989 only.

brybrychrismer

thanks Steve now my next question what is the difference between the 520H and an 520HC?

Tim

hc was hydro commercial

was supposed to heavier components

Rock farmer

I know it is wider and longer. Perhaps just different wheels and tires? The sales brochure is here in the manuals section.

brybrychrismer

Thanks All

Sparky

I think the HC is a faster tractor than the H, and who doesn't like to go fast :grin:  .

Mike.............

JackC

I have a 520HC.  They are geared to run faster than the 520H which is the main reason I like mine.  I also like the older stick on the floor versus the newer shift on the column.  

The 520HC was the first 520 to have the swept front axle.    

It may be good to find out about the engine rebuild and what was done and how many hours are on it since the rebuild.  The hood has a dent in the front that can be easily taken care of.  It looks to be well worth the asking price if it runs good.  If you sold the blade with extension kit and the deck you would likely have a very good deal on one the best tractors wheel horse made.

If it were closer to me I would grab it.

• Like 1

stevebo

The dash is a little more basic as well.

Dieselcowboy

These were really made for commercial mowing guys that did want to pay for the extra chrome and fancy stuff. Notice they do not have the arm rest on the chair or chrome air cleaner cover and no chrome muffler shield. Basically a striped down worker.  Probably some other things someone else will cover. Hence the 520 Hydro Commercial

MalMac

Just curious did the HC go faster through different gearing or did they just use different size pulleys?

Sparky

Just curious did the HC go faster through different gearing or did they just use different size pulleys?

Gearing.

Mike.............

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

The HC that I once had was similar in every way yo my 94 520-H EXCEPT.......

Less chrome on the engine...

NO steering reduction...

WAY faster than my 520-H...

Only 1 idiot light on the HC also...

It still had all 5 gauges, arm rests, and the swept axle...

Hey Sparky, not to try and hijack this thread, but are you saying that if I had the rear end from my HC, and swap it into my 520, that would do it (faster)?  Can I use the hydro pump from my 520 in the 520-HC trans-axle?

TT

are you saying that if I had the rear end from my HC, and swap it into my 520, that would do it (faster)?  Can I use the hydro pump from my 520 in the 520-HC trans-axle?

Yes - it would be faster.

As long as you have the matching pump output shaft gear, a "regular" H pump will work in the HC tranz.

Ken B

I wonder how many commercial landscapers actually bought one? I'd be willing to bet not too many, if any?

ukcatfan

My 520hc was originally owned by a yard servicing/landscaping company who used it as a backup mower. When I got it, it had a snowblower attached to it. The owner of the company sold it to a friend of his when they quit using it, the friend never used it, and then he sold it to me. I got all the original manuals with the purchase. It runs great with about 800 hours.

Torino

What was the faster speed for?  I would not think they mowed at full speed.  If I mow to fast with my 520H with 48" deck the quality of the job starts to suffer.  I would think at full speed it would be a really bad.

Ken B

Just from what I have seen with the building I maintain is that the Landscaping company comes and cuts the grass whether it needs it or not. Last summer I had to actually tell him to not come until I call him. He was flying around on his Scag making stripes on fried grass, if you can actually call it grass. He was cutting 100% dead grass at least the past two weeks before I had time to snag him. He is paid per cut, no contract on the grass. He is paid 160.00 per cut  We had so little rain everything was brown and scorched for well over a month. If the grass is short (or dead) they can zip around full throttle.

Edited by Ken B

stevebo

My main mower is a 1988 520HC and I run a 60 inch deck. I have to admit that I tend to cut a little more often than the average homeowner :hide:  but I have some open areas that I mow full speed. I have not issues with poor cut quality.

JackC

What was the faster speed for?  I would not think they mowed at full speed.  If I mow to fast with my 520H with 48" deck the quality of the job starts to suffer.  I would think at full speed it would be a really bad.

I have not found that to be the case.  I have a 48 inch deck and keep the blades sharp.  The cut quality is the same running flat out or slower.

For commercial applications time is money and the faster you get the mow job done the more money you make.

My cousin has a Cub Cadet commercial zero turn and cuts his extensive lawn at 15 mph.  He has a ****-eating-grin on his face for the entire ride.