Sign in to follow this  
wh500special

Trailer Brakes

wh500special

Stevebo's thread about his new trailer reminded me to look up trailer brake laws for a few states to plan for an upcoming trip.  And, I was also curious about brake laws for the states we travel through on the way to the WH show.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

If you google "state by state trailer brake" you'll find a lot more links that list requirements.

Some states - like PA - require brakes on every trailer.  Some have weight restrcitions that have to be exceeded before brakes are required.

Just as a reminder, if you have a trailer and plan on crossing state lines you might want to look up their specific brake laws to make sure you're legal.  It looks like regulations vary a lot depending on what kind of trailer you have (empty weight, gross weight, boat trailer, etc.).

I have no idea what kind of fines there are for violating a braking law, but you can bet if you have an accident or incident it would be something that would be checked and might end up costing you.

Steve

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

PA. DOES NOT REQUIRE BRAKES ON TRAILERS UNDER 3000 LBS. GROSS WEIGHT. THAT IS ABOUT THE SAME IN MOST STATES. OVER THAT YOU NEED BRAKES ANY WAY TO BE SAFE. IF YOU ARE OVER THE WEIGHT THEY MAKE YOU LEAVE THE TRAILER THERE AND GET A FLAT BED WRECKER.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Without looking up the actual regulations, I believe that what SALTYWRIGHT says about Pennsylvania is true.  You'll find tons of single-axle trailers without brakes here rated at 2990/2995/2999 lbs. GVWR.  You can also order some of those same trailers with brakes, rated at 3500 lbs., but you'll have to get them inspected annually.

wh500special

You could be right about PA.  Different websites list different requirements.  I suppose the highway patrol for each state is probably the best source of real info.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

My point is, check the regs before you tow.

buckrancher

if your trailer is legal in the state it is reg. in it's legal in all the US

squonk

Another thing. Unless they have a roadblock set up and are checking everybody, don't give them a reason to pull you over. Don't speed,drive erratic, don't overload your trailer and have good tie downs.

• Like 2

wh500special

You may be right.  But perhaps there are exceptions. 

My wife's uncle - who drives really fast and attracts law enforcement eyes - has received tickets before when he brings his car with tinted windows (evidently legal in NV) to MO and IL which apparently have different requirements.  I've been under the impression that some laws apply based on location, not origin.

Again, he's a leadfoot...so they may be looking for things to hit him with.

Steve

squonk

If you give them a reason to stop you, they will nail you for something.

• Like 1

stevebo

I have never driven overloaded before :hide:  Ask those in the CT caravan a few years ago. I had a little TSC 5x8 loaded pretty good.  

Ken B

I have never driven overloaded before :hide:  Ask those in the CT caravan a few years ago. I had a little TSC 5x8 loaded pretty good.  

Loaded that little 5x8 up PRETTY is an understatement! Me and Dave had a real good laugh as you blew by us doin 80 with a 520 hanging halfway over the side! (Well strapped down of course.) you even had an RJ (or two) stuffed into the back of the Tahoe.  The best of times.....

baerpath

Thats one reason mine has Maine plates on it.