Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Anyone seen the new Raven?

rmaynard

Has anyone seen this? Looks like an interesting hybrid.

post-2221-0-75154500-1362078300_thumb.jp

• Built in Generator that creates over 7000-watts of electricity to take power wherever it is needed
• 46" quick-release cutting deck detaches in minutes with a simple pull of plug and 3 quick-release pins
• 17 MPH top speed for getting around your property faster
• Fewer emissions, less noise, with more usable power than standard riding mowers
• Expandable storage bed to haul tools or equipment
• ATV-style shocks/frame/suspension capable of taking on tough terrain
• Capable of operating up to 12 hours on a single tank of gas
• Completely self-charging technology prevents the need to ever manually charge batteries
• Pulls heavy loads up to 550 lbs

Sells for $2995.00 at Lowes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7p-Mt65ZA

1054josh

All I can say is WOW.

Sparky

Goes 17mph and has suspension!!! Sounds like it would be fun to cruise around on :grin:  . I like it :eusa-clap: !

Mike............

Jim_M

Looks like a pretty nice outfit but I want to see a 10 year old Raven before I take the the plunge.

Sparky

Just watched the video.....thats one beefy lookin transaxle!! It was great to see the Cub getting yanked about :eusa-clap:  .

I think its a great idea if it was built to last and not to be a throw-away machine. If I see one at a Lowes store I'll be crawling all over it to see it it has an MTD decal. I did notice they never mentioned a snow-plow or snow-blower for it tho :eusa-think:  .

Mike.............

Horse Fanatic

If it's sold at Lowe's and is that price, I'd be suspect of the quality.

Vinylguy

I could make all my Post office runs instead of driving the van.

How big is the gas tank? 17 mph for 12 hours a tank = 204 miles on a tank?

Even if its a 5 gallon tank thats 40 mpg If it comes in a two seater I'm in.  :ROTF:

Cutting a for sale sign right now

squonk

I like how in all the mower ads the grass is short like a putting green but they are driving it along with the blades on and an occasional twig or leave blows out the chute. :thumbs:

rmaynard

Just watched the video.....thats one beefy lookin transaxle!! It was great to see the Cub getting yanked about :eusa-clap:  .

I think its a great idea if it was built to last and not to be a throw-away machine. If I see one at a Lowes store I'll be crawling all over it to see it it has an MTD decal. I did notice they never mentioned a snow-plow or snow-blower for it tho :eusa-think:  .

Mike.............

The first thing that went through my mind was a snow thrower or plow. I'm going out to Lowe's tomorrow morning. If they have one there, I will look it over and ask a few questions. That rear axle looks like it came out of a Senior.

Edited by rmaynard

Ken B

Seems like a cool concept but you won't catch me being the guinnea pig! If that thing cuts grass at 17 mph I think that is way too fast for the person who has never used a lawn tractor before. For some reason it kinda reminds me of a Volkswagon Thing. Might be the ugliness?

CRE1992

Well, I happened to be at lowes, and happened to take some pictures...

22B29E91-67FD-44AC-A247-686D15D1BD98-141

B8A1ACA7-4636-4579-91EE-DF9A14EAAA3A-141

998F22B0-435B-44A7-83C6-EC177D6C9EF6-141

9765AE39-25E7-4019-9352-C27990C110CE-141

Don1977

It's assembled here in Denver, North Carolina and owned by a Chinese Company. That should tell you all you need to know about the quality. Has a Chinese copy of a Honda that powers the generator and  drive and blades are electric powered. Then it's sold at Lowe's.

Wheel-N-It

:snooty: Yeah all that, but it's not a tractor......... 

JamesBe1

Interesting looking machine.  It's designed and assembled in the US by an american subsidiary of a chinese company (rato).  Mostly chinese parts in it.  Here is a good thread from reddit with input from the designer and others:

http://www.reddit.com/r/shutupandtakemymoney/comments/16935v/my_brother_designed_this_the_raven_multi_purpose/

Somehow I doubt that it would last half as long as my 40 year old wheel horse.  I think I'll stick with what I got.

shallowwatersailor

I'm not sure about the mowing part, but having a generator that goes 17mph should find a market in the McMansion developments. :)

Sparky

Am I missing something or is the generator portion 7100 watts but only 120 volts? Thats pretty useless if your hoping to power your house during an outage. Hard to believe it doesn't have a 230 volt outlet.

Mike.............

Foozerush

That has electrical problems written all over it IMO... How much does a replacement generator cost? I see tons of engines on CL from generators that go bad. I bet it doesn't mow worth a darn in tall grass, in the video posted above, it was having a tug-o-war with a little CC, wonder how it would handle a heavier WH? I'll give it one thing, the direct drive rear end looked beefy.

Wheelhorse84

If someone made this machine but made it to last and be heavy duty I think it's a great idea.

DOC in Kentucky

I was told at my Lowe's store in the Louisville, KY area,that its been recalled for a design issue and can't be sold at this time so its not on the floor but stored in a back room until the company comes out with a fix. Something electrical is what I was told???

Ken B

I was told at my Lowe's store in the Louisville, KY area,that its been recalled for a design issue and can't be sold at this time so its not on the floor but stored in a back room until the company comes out with a fix. Something electrical is what I was told???

:scared-eek:  And so the nightmares begin!

IthacaJeff

The jack of all trades, master of none, is always an intriguing idea. But think about

how many of us on this forum don't even swap attachments any more. Got a tractor

for mowing, one for plowing, one for tilling, one for. . .

Just think if the tractor breaks (engine, steering), so goes the generator. Or you have

a generator tied to an 700 lb anchor.

Jeff

• Like 1

dsholler

I think that it is the other way around. More and more stuff is switching from gasoline to electric powered, in anticipation of the ability to do that more easily and cheaply. The technology is being worked on for autos, and will no doubt become cheap enough to be adopted in other markets, like lawn and garden equipment.  I would love to have a machine that also ran electric attachments, so I could be mowing the lawn, stop at the tree/rock/etc. jump out, fire up the electric string trimmer. finish it off so it looks great, and hop on and continue.. I have been contemplating buying a gas trimmer because there are lots of places where I would need 3-5 extension cords to use my electric, but my electric cost me $25 15 years ago and still works fine... the gas ones are an order of magnitude more expensive, plus they need to be maintained properly, like any other engine.

While this Raven machine itself may not have been so great.. I bet we see lots more things like it in the future.. .as the idea of a mobile generator that ran a range of electric powered attachments seems perfectly reasonable.

The alternative that Jeff proposed above is actually because of the economics of the used equipment. I am sure lots of members here have multiple tractors because they enjoy them, but also because they are not that expensive right now... Imagine if you had your tractor for plowing, tilling, mowing etc. and you had to pay full retail price for a new one (especially one with ground engaging capabilities)... Those three tractors alone would probably put you out 20K or more. But with a little sweat equity we can get the capability for $300, then it is worth it to have another tractor.

IthacaJeff

It is certainly the case that hybrids and the like are here to stay, and I would love to have

an electric and recharge using solar and wind. But, the problem is with the batteries, like

it was over 100 years ago when the first electric vehicles were made.

There will certainly be a market for a multi-use tool, but most of us find that dedicated

and purposely built tools function better. I have a Leatherman, but it serves as a backup.

I have a 8500W generator that can be moved anywhere, including into the back of my

van to be used off property. I can move it on property by putting it in a trailer (yes, a pain)

and pulling it with my tractor. A couple of years ago I was out plowing with my WH during

a storm while the generator was running the house.

Of course, the economics come into play, of multiple used vehicles versus new.  

A tough call.

Jeff

JamesBe1

It is certainly the case that hybrids and the like are here to stay, and I would love to have

an electric and recharge using solar and wind. But, the problem is with the batteries, like

it was over 100 years ago when the first electric vehicles were made.

There will certainly be a market for a multi-use tool, but most of us find that dedicated

and purposely built tools function better. I have a Leatherman, but it serves as a backup.

I have a 8500W generator that can be moved anywhere, including into the back of my

van to be used off property. I can move it on property by putting it in a trailer (yes, a pain)

and pulling it with my tractor. A couple of years ago I was out plowing with my WH during

a storm while the generator was running the house.

Of course, the economics come into play, of multiple used vehicles versus new.  

A tough call.

Jeff

Not to disagree, but the batteries of 100 years ago were much better.  I believe that they used Nickel-Iron batteries.  They were pretty bullet proof.  I believe the Leno has an electric vehicle from that era that they just changed the electrolyte and they charged like new.

Look into NiFe batteries and why they were taken off of the market.  Now there are only two manufacturers left in the world.  One in China and one in the US.

IthacaJeff

The problem with batteries has less to do with longevity (but that is also a serious and costly issue as well,

as Chevy Volt users will fine out!) and more to do with energy storage. Storing electricity safely and effectively

within a small and reusable package has been the thorn in the side of electricity generation forever. 

If photovoltaic panels could be used during the summer in northern climes and electricity stored for the winter,

that would be something worth buying. Right now the best long term storage is allowing the sun to heat the 

ground and water and grow biofuel and using that heat later on. . . 

Jeff