Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

I got a new horse hauler!

CRE1992

Well I decided that I wanted to buy another truck besides my 2008 silverado to go into the woods with, go to work (I am an electrician during the summer when not at college) in. I was looking at a local truck that needed a lot work, so I kept looking and decided on this. Its a 1995 F150 with all of the maintenance records since the year 2000. The truck is really clean with the exception of the rear wheel well outer edges on the bed which have some rot. I have not decided which route to go on with fixing  those yet. It has a 4.9L inline 6 (300ci). It has 4 wheel drive and the weaker 5 speed manual (oh well, if something happens I'll deal with it). The truck had the clutch replaced, slave cylinder replaced, new A/C compressor, recent tires etc. So its nice to know it was kept up with. I plan on using it to go back and forth to work also. It rides real nice at 65-70. It either has an add a leaf, or F250 leaf springs in the back but it rides nice surprisingly. I plan on putting a new hands free Bluetooth radio in it, speakers, seat cover, hitch, and possibly a locker for the rear as it has an open diff in it.

Whatcha think?

7DFBF773-4E53-40C9-B725-4B59AB1B1334-102

E9C205F8-AFCF-47C5-8371-6F975203FA6F-102

992F612F-436E-4FA7-AD8E-1DFD456099A7-102

34BBDD57-D2DC-46C3-A900-13231EDA69DC-102

Sparky

Looks good! I hear those inline 300's in the Fords were good motors.

Mike............

Ken B

That does look real clean. IMO the 300 six is one of the best engines ever made. When my oldest brother had his own electrical business he had 3 vans and an 81 Ford F-100 pickup, all of them had 300's in them. The F-100 pickup had a ton of miles on it (at least 250k on original engine) yet it was driven all over the state of CT and it was always carrying a load. You couldn't kill that truck and I think every single guy that drove it tried to.

stevebo

Looking great flipper. I would keep the cap on it and use it to sleep in at the show.

CRE1992

Looks good! I hear those inline 300's in the Fords were good motors.

Mike............

They are supposed to be phenomenal engines. Better than the same year 302 v8's.

That does look real clean. IMO the 300 six is one of the best engines ever made. When my oldest brother had his own electrical business he had 3 vans and an 81 Ford F-100 pickup, all of them had 300's in them. The F-100 pickup had a ton of miles on it (at least 250k on original engine) yet it was driven all over the state of CT and it was always carrying a load. You couldn't kill that truck and I think every single guy that drove it tried to.

Thanks Ken! I tried to find a keeper. She needs a little TLC but hey so does every used car under $2500. Good to know about the inline 6. It's got 3.55 gears in the front and rear axle so she cruises nice and is pretty good on fuel.

Looking great flipper. I would keep the cap on it and use it to sleep in at the show.

I plan on it Steve, one its great for work, I can put my ladders on the top rack, and my tools in the back. I have a couch/mattress insert for the pick up bed so it would be perfect. It was the one I was telling you about awhile ago. My uncle is in the process of moving and I asked him what he was doing with it and he said take it, we originally gave it to him in the first place.

Edited by CRE1992

Wheelhorse84

Can't kill those things.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Don't know much about the engine, but it does look really nice. Good luck with it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

VinsRJ

Looks like a great hauler!

CRE1992

Don't know much about the engine, but it does look really nice. Good luck with it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks, it took awhile to find a somewhat decent truck around here that has no rust at all on the cab or frame.

Thanks Vin, it might be going with me to the big show so I can sleep in it.

Sparky

How many miles on it?

Mike............

CRE1992

How many miles on it?

Mike............

Lol I knew someone would ask, its got a lot 197,000, but it runs like a swiss clock. These engines are known to go over 300,000 miles if taken care of, and this truck has been well maintained.The only things I want to do to it are change all fluids and a tune up, add a new radio and speakers, take the cap off and reseal where it connects to the bed. Get the bed rhino lined or line xed, get the underneath of the bed covered too. The get the tan stripe on the bottom overcoated in color matched rhino liner or line x, including the bottom of the cab and cab corners. I have to pull the bed for that but I don't mind. And then I need to find a hitch for it, as this truck has never towed a single thing in its life. I also found a Warn Winch bumper off an older F150 that had a hidden winch that would be awesome to put on this. I guess I'm gonna be spending some money.

Edited by CRE1992

nylyon

I love the looks of that body style as does my middle daughter who has her eye on '95 Powerstroke F250.  Very nice truck!

• Like 1

hm12460

Pretty good truck for that era. I've had several and they were all good. That Mazda built 5 speed is a little weak, but you won't have problems unless you do a lot of heavy towing.

CRE1992

Pretty good truck for that era. I've had several and they were all good. That Mazda built 5 speed is a little weak, but you won't have problems unless you do a lot of heavy towing.

Thanks, I think that trans will be okay as this truck has never had a hitch or ball on it. I am going to get a reese hitch for it next week, but I don't plan on towing anything heavy with it. I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 which normally does the towing or a 2011 Silverado 3500 diesel dually if something is really heavy.

Ken B

Sure does look like some helper springs were added. Good for you if you plan too haul some wood with it,

MalMac

Little late chiming in here, I just sold my 150 which was identical to yours. Best truck I ever owned. Just one word of caution. Check your rear spring hangers. On the 92 to 95 and some 96's they are bad. They rust through prematurely and will come right off the frame. This happen to almost all of the 150's. Ford knew about it but yet no recall was issued. All they did was stock the hangers by the hundreds at dealers. Let me tell you when one breaks with a load in it you will know instantly. Other than that it's a worker. I miss mine but she was so wore out that it was getting dangerous just to walk around it let alone drive it.

CRE1992

Little late chiming in here, I just sold my 150 which was identical to yours. Best truck I ever owned. Just one word of caution. Check your rear spring hangers. On the 92 to 95 and some 96's they are bad. They rust through prematurely and will come right off the frame. This happen to almost all of the 150's. Ford knew about it but yet no recall was issued. All they did was stock the hangers by the hundreds at dealers. Let me tell you when one breaks with a load in it you will know instantly. Other than that it's a worker. I miss mine but she was so wore out that it was getting dangerous just to walk around it let alone drive it.

Thanks for the input, its funny you say that. When I was inspecting the frame, the only thing that had rust on it was the front leaf spring hangers on each side. It looks like water sits up on top of them, and sinks or gets below the paint for then it starts to put, and the rust comes over in little layers. I also noticed that they bolted on with carriage bolts to the frame. They look fine for now, but its something I plan on taking a look at sooner or later as I have to drop the front gas tank as the gauge reader is not working.

-Charles