Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Subcompact for mowing. Opinions

IthacaJeff

Hi all:

With my DA 1920 Ultima with a 60" deck sitting in a pool of engine oil, I've been thinking about other

option for mowing. Without thinking about a zero turn, what is your opinion of using a subcompact

tractor with a 60" mid mount deck for normal mowing chores? It would be nice to have something

like a Deere 650/750 or Kubota B-series with a diesel engine, and have a cat 1 3 pt hitch. Such a

beast would allow more capability such as a back blade, York rake, etc. A loader would be nice. . .

Around here a mid to late 80s Deere or Kubota with deck, 1000-1500 hrs, and 3 pt. can be had for

about $5K, Fords, Masseys, and "off brands" like Mitsubishi/Satohs for $1-2K less.

Would these mow as well as my DA 1920 (Simplicity Sunstar clone)? Would their maintenance be

a headache compared to a garden tractor?

Opinions please.

Jeff

6wheeler

IMO, If you are going to replace it, Bigger doesn't hurt. You will have a more versatile machine. And it won't be a "garden tractor". I think maintenance would be less of a pain. No drive belts. Although, if something were to go out. It will probably be a little more involved than on smaller stuff. But as a rule, if you do even minimum maintenance on it? The machine will probably still work for many years without much trouble. Plus,as you stated. There would most likely be many more implements available. Good Luck

IthacaJeff

That driveshaft-mower blade issue is strange indeed.  Still, any clue on mowing quality with these subcompacts?

Jeff

sscotsman

So apparently the term "subcompact" means "bigger than a garden tractor?"

thats a bit confusing..How did that terminology come about?

Is it something like: "the smallest versions of *big* tractors, but not counting garden tractors"?

When I read "subcompact for mowing" I was thinking of something like this! ;)

Cub-bug-a.jpg

Scot

• Like 2

wh500special

Sub-compact (SCUT) refers to smaller than a compact utility tractor (CUT).

For cut quality, it's pretty hard to beat a Simplicity product like your Deutz.  If that's your minimum standard, you're likely to be disappointed by most other offerings.

Mowing quality is pretty good with respect to airflow, standing the grass up to be cut, and clipping dispersal.  But I have noticed that the suspended decks can leave a stairstep or ridge between swaths since they rely on the tractor's wheels to gauge the ground contour.  Dad's Kubota BX with 60" deck leaves stairsteps on certain areas of his yard that are zoysia and uneven.

Decks with gauge wheels that ride on the turf do better.  But I think once you hit some magic width - like 60" - you're prone to uneven mowing anyway.  Chances are if you were happy with the 60" from your Deutz, you'd be happy enough with a ground-supported 60" deck from another manufacturer.  You may not be as happy if the deck hangs from the tractor.

I hadn't heard of the mower blade breaking issue before.  I can't imagine it being a widespread problem though since Kubota knows what they are doing with mower decks and has for quite some time.

Steve

Steve

leeave96
Sub-compact (SCUT) refers to smaller than a compact utility tractor (CUT). For cut quality, it's pretty hard to beat a Simplicity product like your Deutz. If that's your minimum standard, you're likely to be disappointed by most other offerings. Mowing quality is pretty good with respect to airflow, standing the grass up to be cut, and clipping dispersal. But I have noticed that the suspended decks can leave a stairstep or ridge between swaths since they rely on the tractor's wheels to gauge the ground contour. Dad's Kubota BX with 60" deck leaves stairsteps on certain areas of his yard that are zoysia and uneven. Decks with gauge wheels that ride on the turf do better. But I think once you hit some magic width - like 60" - you're prone to uneven mowing anyway. Chances are if you were happy with the 60" from your Deutz, you'd be happy enough with a ground-supported 60" deck from another manufacturer. You may not be as happy if the deck hangs from the tractor. I hadn't heard of the mower blade breaking issue before. I can't imagine it being a widespread problem though since Kubota knows what they are doing with mower decks and has for quite some time. Steve Steve
+1 I have read that sometimes the CUT's quality is not as good as a garden tractor or a lawn tractor. If you have uneven ground or slope, the decks that hang from the tractor will leave steps. Ground supported decks like the Simplicity and Wheelhorse are much better IMHO. The other concern I have with CUTs (used ones) is part pricing and abundant support. Unless you just need the additional features of a CUT, I'd stick with a garden tractor. You might look for a 520-H with the earlier higher speed tranny and a 60 inch deck or a used Simplicity Legacy. Good luck, Bill

IthacaJeff

Yeah, that is kinda what I thought. I'm not looking forward to tearing into the Allis's 20M Kohler, but it will

be whole lot cheaper than a SCUT of any condition. The cut on the Allis is terrific, but as stated above,

the 60" deck can sometimes leave uneven cuts on uneven ground. My WH 416-8 with a 48" deck hits

the ditch bank much better.

I'm thinking I'm not going to get a SCUT or loader any time soon. . . . .

Jeff

buckrancher

jeff find yourself a good 650/750 john deere a few years ago I could have sold you my yanmar ym187 which was the same as a 650 JD that had a 60" belly

mower and was one of the best cutting decks I ever had I didnt need it where I live now I sold it to buy the kubota L3400 I have now

100_3060_zps709c8a6b.jpg

IthacaJeff

Brian,

I keep looking, eventually something will turn up. I had one of those "I blew it" moments a couple of

months ago. Guy had a Simplicity mower on sale for $100, that's all the CL ad. Said. Just on a whim

I called. A Sunstar with the 20M. I checked it out. Ran like a top, no mower deck or PTO unit (pirated

for his Economy).  But, I did not pull the trigger and buy it on the spot as I needed to see if I could

borrow a trailer to get it home. It was gone pretty much the minute I walked off the guy's property.

I could have pulled the PTO unit from my DA 1920 in a flash and put it in the Sunstar. I'm still kicking

myself. . . 

Jeff

dsholler

Sscotsman.. that thing you have pictured is hilarious. Looks like something out of Mario Kart....

sscotsman

Sscotsman.. that thing you have pictured is hilarious. Looks like something out of Mario Kart....

yeah, its pretty funny! (not my machine! just found the pic on the internet)

another sad example of how far the once proud Cub Cadet name has fallen..

Scot

DoctorHfuhruhurr

What price range/budget are you working with?