Sign in to follow this  
Horse Play

What About A JD 110 Restoration?

Horse Play

Before I came across my WH, I really wanted to redo a round fender John Deere 110.  Are these tractors good candidates for restorations?  I'm sure the 8hp Kohler was a good engine.  How is the availability of parts from John Deere?  I might have a chance to buy one that needs a lot of work and the fiberglass hood is cracked.  I'll only buy if it's around $50-100 because it will need a lot of TLC.

Kelly

The early green ones can bring big money and parts are all over the place, but be ready to pay for them, I've seen a 1963 JD 110 the first year they made them sell for $2000 in very ruff shape it's not un common for the 63's to bring many thousands if restored nice, I have my eye on a 63 right now the guy has owned it for 30+ years.

Jake Kuhn

As far as parts go you can buy just about everything.....If  you can afford it. Parts from deere are very expensive, but it is nice that you can still get parts. Also if it did need a hood. hapcoparts.com sells reproduction hoods. I have never seen one of them in person but when I ordered some other stuff from them for my deere 60 restoration they had really nice stuff.

~Jake

T-Mo

You can still buy some parts from a JD dealer for the older round fender 110s and 112s.  You can also do ebay.  There is a company who makes reproduction parts for the older JD lawn & garden tractors called Hapco.  http://hapcoparts.com/

It's been my experience that prices on parts from a JD dealer aren't any higher than other manufactureres like Toro, Craftsman or Cub Cadet.

Ken B

I completely restored a 1965 John Deere 110 5 or 6 yrs. ago. I'm not a real big green guy but that is one I wish I had kept. It brought all the money when I sold it though so that eases the pain. There are quite a bit of parts out there for them.

6wheeler

Do it. They look cool and bring big money restored well. I just watched one go at an auction, 7/8 ths restored and it brought $1500.00. Up here in my neck of the woods, there is a guy that has 15 acres of "green" GT and LT tractors of every model and size you could find. And, they are ALL parts tractors. And every part is for sale. He does NOT do EBAY. So if you need his number, let me know.

sscotsman

This is why im not at all interested in John Deere machines..

I cant figure out why green paint is so valuable! ;)

Scot

T-Mo

Right now, JD tractors aren't bringing big money.  Here in my area, prices for Wheel Horses are higher than both CCs and JDs.  A pristine square fender JD will bring less money than a worn WH judging from CL ads.  About the only JDs that will bring high dollars are the '63 and '64 110s, and 140H3s (if they are in good shape).

Wheelhorse84

JD's in ma and ct are bringing stupid money. Like twice what a wheelhorse brings. Can't figure out why either.

Ken B

I restored this 65 110 top to bottom at least 10 yrs ago. It was more complicated that a similar Wheel Horse but really not too bad. I took it to my Dads house and cut his grass with it a few times. He has at least an acre and the grass is thicker than mine. They do cut grass nice and the 8hp Kohler sounds real sweet with the factory Nelson muffler. What inspired me to do this tractor was the movie The Straight Story. (Excellent family movie and a round fender 110 is one of its stars.) I kept it for about a yr and when I sold it I got 1200.00 for it. Not a ton of money for a completely restored tractor. The same guy still owns it as I saw it at a show recently, she still looks real good.

ScannedImage-2-1.jpg

Wheel-N-It

The latest issue of LAGT has a 1963 JD 110 featured. Its definetly worth reading if you are serious about getting one yourself.

squonk

The latest issue of LAGT has a 1963 JD 110 featured. Its definetly worth reading if you are serious about getting one yourself.

Plus, there is about 80 gazillion guys that advertise in LAGT that sell JD parts. When buying Deere parts, JD stands for "Jillion Dollars" Kinda like a Harley. Everyone "has to have one" so HD is hundred dollars. :)

Edited by squonk

Wheel-N-It

:auto-biker: 

Plus, there is about 80 gazillion guys that advertise in LAGT that sell JD parts. When buying Deere parts, JD stands for "Jillion Dollars" Kinda like a Harley. Everyone "has to have one" so HD is hundred dollars. :)

LOL, been there and still doing that!  :auto-biker:

Edited by Wheel-N-It