Sign in to follow this  
Short Circuit

1985 KOHLER ON 1970 RAIDER ENGINE SWAP

Short Circuit

HELLO OUT THERE WH LOVERS,

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF INSTALLING A 1985 KOHLER K301S FROM A 312-8 ON A 1970 RAIDER 12 CHASSIS (1-6251). I THINK EVERYTHING WILL GO TOGETHER PRETTY EASILY, EXCEPT FOR THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUITRY.

THE RAIDER 12 HAS A 10 AMP REGULATOR CIRCUIT, AND THE ORIGINAL KOHLER ENGINE CHARGING STATOR (PART #237877) IS UNIQUE TO THAT TRACTOR MODEL, AND IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE, ACCORDING TO A LOCAL DEALER.

IS THERE ANY OTHER 10 AMP ENGINE STATOR THAT WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH THE 10 AMP REGULATOR, OR DO I HAVE TO LOOK FOR THE 15 AMP STATOR AND MATCHING REGULATOR TO MAKE THIS THING WORK?

OR, SHOULD I JUST USE THE NON-REGULATED CHARGING CIRCUIT AND HOPE THE BATTERY WILL BE MAINTAINED?

pfrederi

The original engine on your raider had the breaker-less ignition hence the unique stator.  it had extra windings that generated current for the ignition.  Just find a stator for a 10 amp breaker (points and coil) ignition motor.  They are on ebay all the time.

Edit:  You will have to change out the ignition switch and do a bit of rewiring also.

Edited by pfrederi