Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

#10 Is a GT-14

Teddy da Bear

Well the guys at C&C wouldn't wait on me in a timely manner so I left.

Went to Rural King and got filter. Went to TSC & got new plug (H 10 C).

So up till now....cleaned tank, ran seafoam, changed lines, fuel filter and plug.

Same old crap! Still running bad..... There is a "breather tube" on this 16 horse kohler magnum on the front. It is only 3 or 4 inches long and sticks straight out from some kind of cover. I took it off too and cleaned it. Looked in the hole and there is some kind of fiberglass element in there. Should I take that apart and clean it too?

I will mess with the carb tomarow.

Brrly1

Hey Teddy Are you talking trans filter? Replace it with a Wheel Horse or Toro filter, just a whole lot better for you and the horse. See ya Burly

Kelly

That is the crank case breather, Yes you can pull it and clean it, may need new gaskets, to put it back together, but I don't think that is you problem, I would buy a carb kit, they are only $10-15 and a few cans of carb cleaner, I have a gal. can of soaking carb cleaner, that I put them in for about a hour, hose them off with the spary cleaner and put them back together, normaly takes care of the problem. If you need detailed instruction just ask, they are not hard.

Teddy da Bear

Thank you so much Kelly...

I may need your instructions.

I won't mess with the breather for now.

I went to parts tree . com...Looked up the carb..

It was not very illustrative on what parts were what.

So I do not know which is air and which is fuel on the jets.

My father in law does the same thing.....but he soaks them for several hours.

I have 2 cans of cleaner now.

I will keep you posted on my progress or lack of it....lol

I can tell you a sequence of odd circumstances I have noticed while running it today.

Needed choke to start.....nothing out of the ordinary.

Runs for a while with no choke at idle speed on throttle.

Will respond to increase throttle but you must bring the choke up as well to

get engine running smooth.

If you decrease the throttle you must also decrease choke as you throttle down or it will die.

This was done over the course of an hour of running and mowing time.

Maybe that info will help diagnosis.....

big mike

Mike,I have seen a LOT of Kohlers that have a bowl full of crap.Your best bet is to get a kit(and a new carb gasket),clean it up good and reassemble.You will very likely see a big difference in how it runs.When you have it apart be sure to inspect the main jet and idle port to make sure they do not have crud in them.

As always,if you would like help just holler.

Teddy da Bear

Well I got it fixed up and running right.

I took a screw driver with me out to mow. It ran fine for a bit and then began to sputter. I fooled with it and fooled with it. I got about 3 turns on the top screw and 1 1/2 turns on the side screw. It runs and does not die now. It also does not need any choke to keep running. It might pffffft once in a while but I can live with that.

This morning I took my C-100 out to pull a car (2000 grande marquis). The tires just spun. So I thought this required a lot more weight. So I got the GT-14 out to pull the car forward.

I was actually dissapointed that it did not seem willing to do it. The hydro moaned... The tires finally spun......

I have noticed a low-toned moan from the tranny area. I have heard this same sound in my lo boy in low gear. Is this low moan normal or do you think it is low on fluid?

Brrly1

Hey Teddy Have you got a phone pole or tree nearby. If you want to test the hydro, put it up against a tree. If you get spinning wheels then thats a good thing,if not then it might need some tweaking. Good Luck Burly :horseplay: B)

big mike

Mike,if it has a Sunstrand hydro they whine,some more than others.I have 9 hydros and they all seem to make a different sound.

Teddy da Bear

Thanks guys....

I might not be able to type here too welll...

I just had a motorcycle accident about 2 hours ago.

Busted up my elbow and wrist. Lots of cuts and skin missing... (I will look for it later when it is light).

I imagine it is going to stiffen up. Don't know if I can type well then.

I'll put another posting up in non tractor area....

I just wanted to work on my tractors..nott this..

T-Mo

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope it's just a few scraps and skin burns. I also hope the cycle wasn't damage too much, if at all. But, the most important thing is to be sure you're all right.

Duff

Jeez, Mike! :whistle: Hope you're OK beyond cuts and bruises and your machine is OK, too.

Hang in there!

Duff B)

Teddy da Bear

I am feeling better than expected. Wife is feeling worse. She hurt both her wrists. We are doing pretty good.

Back to the GT-14!

Why do I have such a huge gap in how the hood fits front to back? There is like a spare inch and I have made adjustments on the two reinforcement stuts under the hood. It is as close as I can get it. Were they designed like this?

Also.... How do you get this tractor to roll around in neutral? I am afaid it will die somewhere and I cannot get it back to the garage.

Thanks!

glenn27

There should be a 'travel valve' on the left upper side or top of the tranny--turn a 1/2 turn to let the fluid bypass. should be a little decal next to it...

Teddy da Bear

thank you Glenn.....I will look for it.

Teddy da Bear

I found the decal illustrating the valve bypass. But darn if I could locate what it was illustrating....lol

I also took off the deck and put a new plow on. Along with the old style quick attach hitch in the rear. Worked real good plowing slag in the drive.

Which side of the tranny is this valve located?

Rollerman

Mike I'm betting someone will jump in here with a better description.

But there are really only a couple locations on the Sundstrand hydro trans where they will be.

Early versions had it located on the back side of the pump....so directly under the seat at the back of the aluminium thing with the cast fins.

It would either be a small T sticking up or may be a nut at the back of the pump.

The other location on the later style Sundstrands is under the left fender "as your sitting on tractor" & behind the tire....kinda about where the brake would be.

I belive you will need a wrench to turn that style too.

I would say the GT14 would be located under the seat at the back of the pump

Brrly1

Hey Teddy You need to look on the left side of the pump as you stand at the back of the tractor. There is also like a rolled pin in the top of the,well I guess you would call it a nut with a pin thru it with the longest part of the pin faced forward the drive is engaged and turn towards the rear and it should disengage. I was going to answer you this morning but had to leave for work ,sorry thats what I know maybe Steve will chime in if I am wrong See ya Bye Burly :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay::horseplay: :horseplay:

Brrly1

Teddy If you can't find it I will take pictures tomorrow. One in the garage, just hanging out looking for a place to go. See ya bye Burly :horseplay:

Teddy da Bear

THanks guys.

I think I saw this roll pin nut from behind the tractor...I will confirm later.

More news! The lift definately works! But there is this big heavy bar that points out the back. I believe it the the GT-14 equivalent of the lift tube on smaller models. It moves in and out when the lift is operated. It is rubbing a groove on top of the of fins of the hydro.... I don't think wheel horse had this in mind.

Perhaps something is incomplete on mine?

I know this would be utilized if mine had a 3pt. Speaking of 3pts. I would like to find one to put on mine.....

Brrly1

HeY Teddy That bar that you are looking at is for the three point hitch, you are 100% correct. Now if you don't find a three point hitch you can just take that bar off of there and give me a shout because I can always use a few spare parts!!!

Burly :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Teddy da Bear

But, but, but what will I use when I find the rest of my 3pt. hitch???

glenn27

He is correct on the valve location--left upper side of the tranny--under the left fender--with like a roll pin thru the top....

I just got another Gt-14 w/ a three pt. on the back--minus the top link...but outright--they are getting harder and more expensive to come by--

John--Brrly--get Steve (Refracman) to check his PM's from me-- B)

tks..

glenn

Teddy da Bear

I hope this is not too crazy!

Here is the GT-14 with the 54" Bolens blade.

It appears to be a bit taller than a wheel horse blade.

I don't know if it is practical, but I will try anything once! B)

Attached Image

post-3-1218744142.jpg

Teddy da Bear

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the GT-14?

thank you..

Brrly1

Hello Teddy Do you have a manual? You might be able to lookup the tractor at Toro or at one of the other tractor sites and it should have a diagram in the manual. Burly