Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

#10 Is a GT-14

Teddy da Bear

I have a GT-14 or should I say GT-16??? It was repowered with a 16hp. Kohler Magnum.

Maybe you folks can help me out with a few (actually a lot!) of things.

First I will just give you the pictures and ask if anyone knows where the I.D. tag should be? I do not see one. I would like to know what year it is.

There are not 2 drive belts. One for the tranny and one for the lift. Was it suppose to be an electric lift? I do not believe it functions.

By the way the engine runs beautifully....that I am most thankful for.

My latest purchases have been plagued with people modifying what was original.

This one seems to be the worst case.

On the bright side I have also gotten a snow blower too. It does not go with it.

It is from the 80's/90's. I am going to see if our new German member would like to have it. Please see post in "attachments.

Here are the pics.

Any input will be appreciated.

Attached Image

post-3-1217891711.jpg

Teddy da Bear

Here is the rear...

Attached Image

post-3-1217892037.jpg

Brrly1

Hey Teddy, Guess who!! The I.D. tag should be under the dash on the right hand as you are sitting on the tractor. Serial #'s go like this 1-7441-69, 1-7451-70,71, 1-7452-72, 1-7453-73 which I have not laid my eyes on a 73 as of yet. I have the other 4 years and Steve ( Refracman ) has one real nice 69 that has cleaned right up and really looks good. I have a few of them I will be working on hopefully soon. They are a very unique tractor, I grew up using one and still have my Dads out in the garage, thats kind of what started this all for me. I wish you luck, as there are a lot of people here who have these tractors and love them.

Burly B):whistle:B) :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

Teddy da Bear

I found it! It was on the opposite side than my other horses.

Model # 1 745-1

Serial # 634528

It appears to be a 1970 model year.

Brrly1

Teddy You should double check that and you will probably see a 1 instead of a T. I guess its looking like a 1971 Burly B)

Teddy da Bear

Yup....it was a "one".

And with the serial number.....Toro site says 1970.

rustbucket

the GT-14 is supposed to have hydro lift for the deck that runs off the tranny to a spool valve if i recall on the lower control dash on the right side second knob in the very outer one is to engage your pump. they are turely beasts and steve and burly are the ones who know alot they helped me on mine a bit.

refracman

Teddy congats on the purchase B)

On the GT14 its a hyrdalic lict actuated by the small lever next to the hydro control. If there is 2 belts one drives the hydro and the other is for your implements like any other WH.

Originaly they came with a electric PTO thats what switch on the dash is for. At some time someone has converted to a manual PTO

As for the model #s

7441 = 1969

7451, 7452 and 7453 = 1970

0500 ,0501 = 1971

0502, 0503=1972 and 73

In 1970 the gt14 seen some modifications for the 3pt and some upper frame modifcations under the hood.

And John you could have seen a 73, as I have both, one with the 0502 and one with 0503 #s. The only person who knows if their a 72 or 73 was the guy who bought it!

Brrly1

Oh well ,Thats why your the ringleader. Burly B):whistle: :group:

Teddy da Bear

steve and burly are the ones who know alot they helped me on mine a bit.
Burly claims he is still learning too! B)

If you mean it originally came with an electric clutch, then I will need to get one.

I doubt the mower deck belongs on it. If it could be lifted, it "gouges" into the rear tires.

I am very dissapointed that the Toro site does not have drawings for this tractor other than the tranny.

The dash plates are cracked. What have others done about replacements?

I was actually thinking about making a fancy wood-inlaid dash.....lol

Only have to figure out the lettering.

I would like a wiring diagram if someone has one.

And some close up pictures of some of these things we talk about.....lol

Brrly1

Hello Teddy Yes maybe Toro doesn't have the drawings that you are looking for,but have you ever been to smallenginepartswarehouse.com or milacalawn.com You can go thru there list of different tractors and pull right up to your model and pull the drawings right on up. It shouldn't be a problem at all. Good Luck Burly

B) :horseplay:

Teddy da Bear

Thank you Burly.....that will save me a lot of time. B)

glenn27

Congrats on getting a GT-14 (16)...they seem to be a unique tractor, out of the Wheelhorse line up. I have had one apart for over a year--working on it a little @ a time. Had to completely re-wire mine. What I did--was take the owner's manual--with the wireing diagram on the back--took it to Kinkos/Fed Ex--had them blow it up 250%--then laminate the whole thing --so my dirty fingers wouldn't smudge it so bad...cost less than 5 bucks.

Keep us posted! B)

rustbucket

they make reproductions of the dash panels. i happened to score a set from steve at the show this year and am in mid restoration of my GT-14.

Teddy da Bear

Stephen the Tickster?

rustbucket

refracman steve

Teddy da Bear

I took it out for a test drive and mow yesterday. It mowed nice for about 45 minutes and then began to sputter, cough and die. I thought maybe I was out of gas, but wasn't. It started up again and had to run it on half choke. It died anyway with clouds of black smoke. I felt a sickness in the pit of my stomach.

Since it was my wife's birthday I put it away for the time being.

I thought that newer motor should not be acting this way. So I looked at the gas cap. Made the breather hole bigger and started it again. It ran smooth as it did before. I took it out to mow again.....no problems this time. Must have been a vacuum lock on the tank.

I am having a problem. When I make a right turn at half throttle, the hydrostatic lever moves forward and it takes off like a bat from "you know where". What could cause that? Turning left has no effect.

I understand about the lever adjustment from another hydro posting. I have that problem too. The lever does not go into neutral position when the brake is depressed. Needs adjustment. Also no feeling of brakes at all.

I also would like to see a picture of what the original tail lights looked like.

I also do not have the headlight baffle. Is it just like the baffle on other wheel horses of that era or was it special?

Thank for any help.

refracman

Mike

Glad to here the engine deal was just the gas cap.

On the Hydro/ brake problem it sounds like it could be related. Somehow the fan gear is catching on the brake rod. As you know hydros really dont have "brakes" the brake lever centers the hydro pump into a nuetral position with cam plate setup. So if the fan gear is chatching the rod it could pull the shifter forward

With your headlight bucket and lens and the rear lights they are the same as the Cs

On the dashes there are some on ebay or contact Glen Petit he is a member here, he makes them.

Teddy da Bear

Thanks Steve.

Filled it up with gas and was going to go mow. "Was" is the operative word.

Did not even get it backed out of the garage before the sputtering problems started again. Died several times. Would not run unless on full choke and would die eventually.

I am thinking of going through the whole fuel system. But cannot understand how it can run so well one minute and so lousy the next...grrrrrrrrr....

And it has one of those clear gas filters up near the carb and it is full of fuel.

hmmmmmm......

badbowtie

Ive bought several tractors at auctions that have sat around a while that wont run and 90% of the time its a build up of white residue in the carb. Take it apart clean it, put it back together, screw your mixture screws all the way down, back them back out about 1 1/2 to 2 turns and go from there. If youve messed around much with engines you should be able to tell by ear when its running right. wheather to go in or out with the screws. I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I do work on my own stuff. Thats where I would start. Good Luck!

Brrly1

Teddy, Now don't quote me on this but you might be able to open up your high speed jet a half a turn and see if that would possiblylet enough fuel flow thru the carb and it might possibly clear it up. As I have always said maybe one of the more intelligent guys might chime in. Maybe a rebuild kit for the carb? How is the throttle body shaft? Any movement? Only ideas to look for. Good Luck Burly

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: B) :whistle:

badbowtie

You may or may not need a rebuild kit just try cleaning it as I mentioned earlier. I put em back together with the same gaskets even if your careful when you take it apart. but Brrly1 is right check the jet screws first that would be the easiest for starters.

refracman

Dont get to frustrated, B)

Sound like either water or crap getting suck up.

First off how does fuel line look? If its vacume line instead of fuel it could be deteriorating on from the inside out. Yup seen it on'em :whistle:

If it was mine and I do this on all my new tractors is drain the tank, new line, new filter and clean the carb. On the GT14 2ft of fuel line will do it. filter goes between the pump and shutoff valve.

With the Gt14 be VERY careful when removeing the old line from the tank.

The nipple on the tank is plastic and brakes off EASY!.

You'll be doing enough cussin trying to get the carb and line off so be careful on the tank as they are hard to come by!

Teddy da Bear

Thanks guys... I do think it is crap in the tank or lines.

And thanks for the tip on the plastic tank. I may cut it off with a razor knife.

Teddy da Bear

I took the front end apart. Removed the gas tank and cleaned it. Cleaned and replaced some of the gas lines.

Yes I broke the rubber grommit in the bottom of the tank. I managed to find a perfect size of rubber hose to fit and seal the tank.

I used some "Seafoam" and carb cleaner. I now want to replace the spark plug.

It is terrible fouled with black carbon. Which I think means it ran too rich on gas. Also the cleaners can break loose things and foul a plug.

I want to find out which plug to use. I'll just call C&C.