Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Hydro drive

BairleaFarm

If I drive my C160 it speeds up and slows down. It doesnt do it on the sidewalk but it does while I mow. The yard isnt smooth but isnt rough either. Any ideas? It was jumpy when you moved the lever so I cleaned out that little space between the tower and seat. There was a build up of lube on the cam. I cleaned it off and re lubed. That seemed to get rid of most of that. I am assuming the C160 and B100 have the same tranny in them. The B100 drives 100 times better.

Rideawaysenior

Sounds like it's time to replace the oil. 10w30 for the Sundstrands. Also replace the filter. 9 out of 10 times that is the cure.

BairleaFarm

It was changed a few months ago. Its a non toro filter. Maybe thatst he problem. That will be a good place to start. Ill get it dont in the next few days and see if it helps.

BairleaFarm

With the brake released how much play should be in the belt? If i reach behind the cover I bet ive got 2 maybe 3 inches of slop in the belt.

kpinnc

David,

Your drive belt should be pretty snug. If I understand what you've posted correctly, I would say something is definately wrong.

On my Bronco 14 (which is basically the same as your C), my drive belt was slipping. It would jump right out there when you pushed the lever forward, and quickly slow down to a crawl. If I pushed down on the tension release (the little lever you pull up on in the center console to crank the tractor, and to set the brake), it would surge forward again.

A new drive belt fixed my problem, as it was worn pretty bad. What is causing that much play in your's could be because:

1) The tractor has the wrong belt installed, or

2) The idler arm and pulley are not engaging properly onto the belt, or

3) You simply need a new belt

You may also want to check that the tensioner arm spring is in place and providing down pressure at the idler pulley...

Good luck!

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

Just a reminder for others...

Don't make any assumptions about the oil in the tranny. Always look first to see if it is motor oil or Dextron II/III transmission fluid.

BairleaFarm

I replaced the belt and it is a little better than before but still not that great. I can also roll in about 6" front or back with the tractor off and the brake released. Seems there is still alot of play in the belt. Next is the filter and oil I guess.