Sign in to follow this  
welderman85

starting for the first time in a long time questions

welderman85

i have a c-101 that has not been stated in a very long time is there anything special i should do before i roll it over or go for it. thanks

puddlejumper

I would probably pull plug and give a squirt of lubricant and rollover a time or two by hand, make sure fuel is clean with a good filter, then go for it. And then it will start but you will find that you should have went ahead and cleaned carb instead of getting in a big hurry

varosd

also change oil first.

boovuc

Agreed! A little top end lub and an oil change.

tunahead72

What's "a very long time"?

A lot depends on how well it was prepared for storage.  Did it run well before you put it away?  Has it been stored indoors?

If you don't want to change the oil, you should at least make sure the level is OK.

A new spark plug, properly gapped, would be a good idea.

And make sure your battery is good and strong.  Put a test meter on it and read the voltage -- if you don't see at least 12.6 volts at rest, you'll probably be wasting your time trying to get it started until you charge it, especially with the cold weather you probably have right now.

Good luck, and let us all know how it works out!

sorekiwi

There may be a possibity of a mouse nest or similar inside the shrouds, I've seen wires chewed on sitting engines. 

When I went to start my B80 just before winter there was an awful noise from the flywheel - turned out to be part of a walnut shell jammed in there.  It could have easily taken out the wires from the stator.