Mr. 856

The 856 was blind....Viewer discretion advised!

Mr. 856

Kelly.......IM SORRY. Saw your remark in the lights section about "cutting a good hood". She was blind.......so I lead her out back, gave her a kiss on the emblem, and put her down. :( I told her it was the right thing to do and with her well being in mind I got my weapon out. She let out a "whinny" but didnt fight to much..........

009-6_zpsd3fb5c94.jpg

Light pod fit in there nicely. Need to weld it in and do some body work. I think it looks pretty slick and should look great when its all done.

011-5_zps9cfdbc29.jpg

014-1_zpsdcae10d6.jpg

Done for tonight.......got to get the Heart of this horse back together!

• Like 2

rmaynard

It looks good so far. What kind of "eyeballs" are you going to put in there?

squonk

IT'S A ZOMBIE......!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding I think it's going to look great!! :) :)

chevyaddict83

Kelly.......IM SORRY. Saw your remark in the lights section about "cutting a good hood". She was blind.......so I lead her out back, gave her a kiss on the emblem, and put her down. :( I told her it was the right thing to do and with her well being in mind I got my weapon out. She let out a "whinny" but didnt fight to much..........

009-6_zpsd3fb5c94.jpg

Light pod fit in there nicely. Need to weld it in and do some body work. I think it looks pretty slick and should look great when its all done.

011-5_zps9cfdbc29.jpg

014-1_zpsdcae10d6.jpg

Done for tonight.......got to get the Heart of this horse back together!

I was thinking of doing thos to my new 855, but with lights off a c series.

Sent from my 416-8

AMC RULES

Nice modification, using all :wh: parts to do it?

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Very nice! are you using the lights like the d series or the deere 110's used? I wish they would of came with something like that from the factory. That type is nice and bright.

Jake

Mr. 856

Thanks for the nice compliments. I thought id get a licking or two for cutting her up. The wife said "do it".........happy wife happy life right? :) My plan was to paint the hood this afternoon..........then this idea popped up in my head. I figured what the heck why not add another 8 hours of work to the hood.LOL Got the machine tore down anyways and since I cant leave anything I own original then why not. Its a good mod and should help with those dark wintery nights snowblowing next year. If anything ill be able to run out to the dump pile at night now! :greetings-clappingyellow: Anyways I have no idea what the pod come from.......I got it of Ebay if I remember correctly. It does have a long tab w/ wcrew holes for mounting to something. It was kinda odd shaped so Im not sure. It came with lights and they light up my basement pretty dam well so they should be good enough. They lights are 12v 25watt and it says EMERGENCY under that........dont know what that means but they are bright no dought about that. They came mounted in the pod when i bought it and they fit in there like a glove. Neighbors probably thought I was sending an SOS when I was testing them and the harness I made for the toggle and fuse's, etc.

015_zps76ba9b0e.jpg

welderman85

good idea and great work it looks good

Don1977

Emergency Exit building lights that come on when the power goes out.

Mr. 856

yup.....looks like they are very available from many sources so thats good to know. Might just stock up on a few just in case.

Since im not really a body work guy and to be honest.....I havent done it much can anyone give me some direction with what I could/should use to fill in the gaps? Im afraid bondo or the likes may endup cracking/breaking over time. I was thinking a seam sealer but I need to be able to "mold" that pod into the hood so it looks good and close to factory as I can. Do they make a "sandable"seam sealer. I think I need something with a bit of flex in it or I could be dead wrong. Welding all the way around it is an option but its going to be hard to get into some of the lines at the sides to clean that up as well as Id like it to be. Anyone have any suggestions? Im a body work newbie so Im open to any and all suggestions.

Coadster32

I think it looks great!! It's your horse, do it your way. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Don1977

Just weld the piece good on the back side and use body filler around the front as needed.

Sparky

Looks like a neat modification. Hopefully those lights can handle the vibrations from your tractor and not blow-out since under normal conditions they would be mounted on a wall or ceiling and be stationary.

Mike..............

Mr. 856

Just weld the piece good on the back side and use body filler around the front as needed.

Thats what I was thinking but the pod is actually like 5" or 6" deep so when in the hood there is now way for me to get a gun inbetween it and the hood. I wasnt planning on cutting the pod but I dont see any reason I cant to allow me to get in there. If I was any good at welding Id do it from the front. Looks like back is my better choice and then fill from the front. I was thinking about using a JB weld or like product that would hold up better then bondo. Any body have any experience using this stuff? I never have.

As for the vibration.........not sure how much there really will be once its welded in. The pod has studs welded into in the back side that hold brackets that then hold the lights in place. They seem to hold the lights very well. Time will tell.

Ken B

You could use the JB Weld SteelStik stuff that comes in a clear tube. Its an epoxy putty. You take it out of the tube and mix it with your hands until it a uniform, color. Then kinda roll it out till it looks like thick spaghetti and then press it in and smooth it out with your fingers. It dries pretty quick so work fast. It is sandable but its easiest if you get it as smooth as possible beforehand. It might take two tubes to do it, the tubes are small. They cost about five bucks each. Its best to wear gloves..

Edited by Ken B

Mr. 856

Its in and aint going anywhere!!!!! Long story short my wifes family owns a trucking company. They have a body guy that does work to the trucks when needed. I approached him and he reccomend it be set with body panel adhesive. Its a two part epoxy that requires a special gun, yada yada yada. Five minutes later it was glued in place. The next morning I went out to take a peak and all I can say is wow. This body panel adhesive is no joke. This pod isnt going anywhere!!! I guess as times have changed so havent the way they fix cars. They glue panels on these days.............with this stuff. Im a believer. this guys been doing this longer then ive probably been alive.

Kelly

Does all this clear the engine?? you said it is 5 or 6" deep.

Mr. 856

Does all this clear the engine?? you said it is 5 or 6" deep.

5-6" was a guess.....its not that deep.  Spent a few hours on body work tonight. Its going to look sweet.

chevyaddict83

You tell us this.... and there are no pictures Sent from my 416-8

Mr. 856

Sorry for the tease.......I will snap a few tonight for yah.

Mr. 856

Getting there. Started out running a thick bead of the panel epoxy around the entire pod to fill all the gaps. After it sets, its rock hard but sands out rather nice. took it down with a 2" sanding disc on air and from there got to work with the hands. Still have alittle more to go but I like where its going thus far.Trying to keep the lines of the hood running into the pod looking good but need some cleaning up yet. Should be able to get the hood completely in primer this weekend if the weather cooperates. My wife also had another great idea for a hood ornament......she is a smart lady. She has figured out the more ideas she keeps giving me keeps me out of the house more. I wonder what her next great idea will be.

002-42_zps5a0b5802.jpg

chevyaddict83
Getting there. Started out running a thick bead of the panel epoxy around the entire pod to fill all the gaps. After it sets, its rock hard but sands out rather nice. took it down with a 2" sanding disc on air and from there got to work with the hands. Still have alittle more to go but I like where its going thus far.Trying to keep the lines of the hood running into the pod looking good but need some cleaning up yet. Should be able to get the hood completely in primer this weekend if the weather cooperates. My wife also had another great idea for a hood ornament......she is a smart lady. She has figured out the more ideas she keeps giving me keeps me out of the house more. I wonder what her next great idea will be.
So far so good. But im needy and want more pictures Sent from my 416-8

Mr. 856

well thanks. Im not abody work guy at all and havent dont it at all so I think im doing ok. Due to the shape of the pod, the hood, etc. I couldnt get the pod to sit flush all the way around. So I had to keep it out a bit for it to "fit".  Maybe a true body man with some experience would have done it differant. Ohwell atleast I can say I did it on my own. Cant fail If you dont try and most dont succeed without failing. We have been moving our shop to a new location all week. Not fun......so I havent even been out to do any more work. Sunday got nothing planned so I will get more done then.

chevyaddict83

Any updates on this?

Sent from my 416-8

Mr. 856

Update..........4 month old boy has kept me busy for well........the last four months. LOL. Told the wife "daddy needs to get this like many other projects done" so with a smile I disappeared into the shop to finally get back on it. Coming out decent so far I think considering this is my first attempt. I still have a ways to go but its shaping in nicely. gave it a quick shot of primer so I could see better what was going on with where im at. Should be able to get some more shop time this coming weekend.

010_zps10d733fe.jpg

011_zpse20a2de3.jpg

• Like 1