Sign in to follow this  
Horse Fanatic

Loader counterweight

Horse Fanatic

I have a C195 with a loader. I bought some homemade wheel weights for the 15" rims that weigh 144# each. The tires are 27x12.5-15 and would hold a fair amount of liquid, and I have a weight box. My question is just about counterbalancing the loader and not traction. I realize weight in the tires and weights on the rim puts less stress on the rear axle. It also seems that weight in the weight box, being further back, would sort of move the fulcrum point (if that's the right term) further back which seems like an advantage. If I could possibly get enough weight with the wheel weights and filling the tires with that beet juice, would I still want to use weight in the weight box? I don't want to carry around more weight than necessary, If using the weight box is recommended, what percentage of the weight should be hung off the back? Also, anyone with a loader have a suggestion as to how much total weight I need to add for safe operation? Hypothetically, without considering traction, are say 100# of wheel weights vs 100# of filled tire identical as far as a loader counterweight? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

squonk

On my Power King I have 100 lbs on each wheel with weights. I also have a weight box when filled is like another 100 lbs, hanging off the 3 point. When plowing snow it would do pretty good until I would raise the bucket to pile it. Then it would start to spin. I filled the tires with RV antifreeze and added about 180 lbs. and the last storm I had no problems spinning. I say hang as much weight as you feel comfortable.

IMG_0435_zps3d7ce6fe.jpg

Forest Road

I have a 522xi with a kiwi way loader and factory weight box. I have rear wheel weights and approx 600lbs in the box. I'll probably load the tires with anti freeze this summer.

As for the proper amount of weight for traction it's really trial and error. Kiwi way calls for 350lbs in the ballast box. I'm 250 lbs and still feel the need for the 500 - 600 lbs I have in the ballast box. Do you want traction for driving around and feeling balanced? Or do you want traction when trying to pick up a load of gravel? If its the latter throw some more weight in the box. I wouldn't be to concerned with breaking anything due to your ballast box being over loaded. The more weight you put on the tires the better. Just keep in mind that all the tire weight won't be nearly as effective as a loaded ballast box tipping the fulcrum.

On another note the primary purpose of the ballast box is unloading your front axle. Wheel weights alone will never unload the front axle.

pfrederi

The WH manual for the Arc Loader used on the D series says that you should not use fluid in the tires and that you should place no more than 165 lbs 74.8 kg in the rear weight box. Threatens that more weight will void transmission warranty. Also says you should not use the turning brakes while teh loader is filled.

• Like 1

Horse Fanatic

Ok, that was what I was wondering, that the weight box is necessary regardless of how much weight I can get in the tires and on the rims to move the fulcrum point back. Interesting the ARC manual calls for no more than 165# and KIWI says 350#. I'll start with 250 in the box and see how it is. Thanks.

Challenger

I'm not trying to hy-jack this thread but: What material or items could you fill the weight box with to hit the Kwik-Way 350 lb. suggestion? I can barely fit three 70 pound bags of tube sand in my box and this coupled with a pair of wheel weights gets me in the low 300 lb. range.

Shy of filling the tires what would you suggest? Lead in the weight box?

Forest Road

I'm not trying to hy-jack this thread but: What material or items could you fill the weight box with to hit the Kwik-Way 350 lb. suggestion? I can barely fit three 70 pound bags of tube sand in my box and this coupled with a pair of wheel weights gets me in the low 300 lb. range.

Shy of filling the tires what would you suggest? Lead in the weight box?

Cast iron weights. I have 44 lb suit case weights, weight lifting plates and wheel weights. Pretty much whatever will fit. I found 50lb dumbells at a yard sale and cut the handles off to save space.