Sign in to follow this  
Road-Track

Starter felt like it was worn out, but wasn't

Road-Track

I had rebuilt the K321 14 hp on my C145, but the starter would not turn it over when cold. I looked at posts on :rs: and found starter cleaning and tips. I removed the starter and tore it down. I found the starter smelled a bit burnt and the PO had not put the brush springs back in when it was apart last.

I took 4 cheap pens apart and took the springs out and put them behind the brushes after cleaning and lubing the starter. I tested it with a battery charger and it worked great. :ychain:

After reinstalling the starter back in the horse. I still had the same problem. :banghead: I had already swapped the battery from my C165 and checked all positive connections. Is it a dead spot or burnt windings. :scratchead:

I decided to swap starters with the C165. I had read the 16 hp had a 13 tooth gear verses the 10 tooth on the 14 hp. I took the 10 tooth off getting ready for the swap, but found the 16 hp also had a 10 tooth gear, so I didn't need to swap the gears. :eusa-think:

I installed the 14 hp starter in the C165 and it turned over and started right up many times. :woohoo:

I then put the C145 starter in the C145. Same problem :ranting: Did I mess up the new rod install and have a tightness problem and need to pull the engine. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Went back to C145 and looked at the starter install. I noticed the shaker plate ground wire was broken, but the PO of this Horse had run a ground wire directly from the battery to the starter mounting bolt. :techie-eureka:

Looked at the C145. The ground wire had broken to the shaker plate after the last time I ran it. I ran a ground wire straight from the battery to the mounting bolt.

:banana-skier: Now I don't have to buy a new starter.

Do some K341's have 10 tooth gears and some 13 tooth gears?

rmaynard

Glad you found the problem. Since the 10 tooth and 13 tooth starters are interchangeable from the 10HP to the 16HP, either may be found.