Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

Sounds bad. Need diagnostic help

dsholler

I have a 87 414. I had a great time today blowing the snow off my driveway with my ss blower. But now my machine is not running!

I used it for a couple of hours, on and off. Toward the end I heard a rattle that was related to throttle speed. I shut it off and tried to guess what it was, but no luck. Started up again and it was no longer there. Finished the driveway and put it away, and of course about an hour later the plow comes and finally does our road. So I started it up again to go clear that. When I started it the second time I got some smoke after I had put in the choke, which is unusual. I pulled out and the clutch spring broke. I think this may have been the source of the rattle, I heard earlier, but I am not sure.

I shut it off, and tried to jury rig the spring, but was too cold and dark. So I tried to start it again to put it back in the garage, and I get nothing but a whir. The flywheel does not spin at all, although it sounds like the starter is spinning fine

Oh the " kick the tire " theory, I decided to see if I could spin the engine, and unfortunately I could I can move the driven disk on the pto and get the flywheel moving rather easily

I am having dark thoughts about blown head gaskets ( the smoke after startup) and broken rods ( able to turn crankshaft by hand )

Any good advice as to how to narrow down the problem?

TT

#1 question: did you check the oil?

The starter drive might be frozen. Get some heat in that area and see if the starter engages.

If the engine cranks over with little to no resistance, remove the spark plug, turn it over with the starter, and see if you can feel air blowing out of the spark plug hole.

Rock farmer

I would think the spring on your bendix drive broke. But that dose'nt explain the smoke

You need to check that the starter is engaging the flywheel,l

Joe

dsholler

I did check the oil, both before I used it the first time, and when I put it away the first time. Full up and nice and clean. I did not check it when it wasn't starting.

Wonder what the chances are of blowing the clutch spring and bendix spring at the same time