Sign in to follow this  
CenPennGuy

Winter Project

CenPennGuy

I have never undertaken a project of this size but we're going to give a shot.

Looks like I have found a C-160 Automatic with 16hp Kohler. I'm sure I'm going to need some advice during the process.; like how availble are the parts going to be ect ect? I'm a little nervous taking on this project and when my wife finds what I have drug home she might just hit the roof. Oh well it good therapy.

kj4kicks

Most parts are still easily available for the 160's. Check out the "Links" thread for many aftermarket sources. Your local WH/Toro dealer is also a good place to be friendly with!

Keep us posted with the progress!

Eldon.

PS. Look in the yellow pages for a roofer.....

nylyon

Welcome to the forum! A C-160 automatic is a great machine. Many of the parts you would likely need are available either new or pre-owned. They are durable machines, and generally easy to fix. Hope to hear more about your C-160 and :D

CenPennGuy

I have some pics but not sure how to uplaod to the site. Roofer is on call LOL

nylyon

Most folks open up a free Photobucket.com account. They give you the tools you need to post on these forums.

CasualObserver

Pictures are easy... get a free account at Photobucket.com and then after you load pictures, you should see a line that starts with ... that's the code that this board uses, just copy and paste the line into your message here. If you still can't get it, let us know, we'll get you some help.

Dang... Karl beat me to it...

nylyon

Yeah, but you describe it much better!

T-Mo

As been mentioned, welcome to the forum. Jason outlined the procedure for attaching images. It's not too hard at all, even I can do it. :D

refracman

the 160 is a great tractor, :D although mine dosnt get used to much mostly trailer / roller duty and the daughter drives it around to keep it in good form its one i'll not part with

Steve

100_0160.jpg

100_0300.jpg

CenPennGuy

Wow I just wish mine could like like that.... :D Maybe someday :P

wheelhorse001.jpg

wheelhorse023.jpg

refracman

Its alittle rough around the edges, but looks like its all there, good luck on the rebuild and remember the pics as ya go

Steve

CenPennGuy

I'll get better pics as soon as I can move out of the old milk house where it's been for the last number of years.

Thanks all for the words of encouragement!!

Rollerman

I've seen a lot worse brought back.

Yours has the hood ornament as well!

Any questions as you fix her up just ask.

Nice tractor & welcome to the site.

Stephen in northern IN

kpinnc

I wouldn't sweat it- nothin' wrong with that tractor!

The one on my avatar was much worse when I got it!

The important thing is it's all there- the rest is personal preference! :D

good luck with it!

Kevin

CenPennGuy

Here is a problem (one of many I'm sure) the muffler can? is loose from the core pipe that comes from the engine. My question is can I somehow spot weld; JB weld or do I need to remove and replace. If I need to replace about how much $ am I looking at?

If I need to provide anymore info or pics please let me know.

Thanks,

Rob

PC030514.jpg

PC030512.jpg

Greg B.

Rob,

Whatever you do, do it before running that engine. I had a similar situation catch my air cleaner on fire! :D

I went quick and dirty and put a stack on it. Too loud for a work horse, IMHO.

Greg B.

CenPennGuy

Most of the tractor has been sprayed with penetrating oil. I'm going to let that sit for a day or so. I then will be degreasing so I can start the operation. I'm going in

!! :D I still would like to know if I could repair or replace the muffler. Any Ideas?

Also what size and type of battery should I be buying?

Thanks!!!!!

perry

just weld the muffler. any good welder will be able fix that right up for you.

T-Mo

My C-141 also has an exhaust leak.

PC030514.jpg

Mine leaks at the top clamp - the clamp will not tighten down to seal the seam. I'm not sure if the muffler is good or not as the leak is pretty bad - enough to feel the exhaust coming out of the seam.

Rollerman

Rob from the pics it looks like that muffler would be a good canidate to repair.

Some of the ones that have came threw my shop have been to rotten or badly repaired to save.

And yes here expensive to replace....have yet to win one on ebay.

Terry have you tried a new clamp & some header tape like the chopper crowd uses?

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

No, I wasn't aware of header tape. But, I will look into it. As for the clamp, to tell you the truth, I hadn't really gave it my best shot yet. :D I'm afraid of snapping the U-bolt, but it doesn't hurt to try it (worst case would be replacing the clamp).

nylyon

Terry, I don't know if it is available for the smaller diameter exhausts, but for the big trucks we used to use a band clamp. Basically it wa a piece of metal which would wrap around the joint then tighten up to seal the joint instead of a crimp compression seal. Works better than muffler clamps do. Of course the other option is to weld the joint, but that may make removal difficult and expensive. I'll try to see if I can find what I am thinking of in the net.

T-Mo

Karl,

I would appreciate it. Right now, I have parked the C to the back corner of my shed. I probably mess with it if the weather warms up a bit here. I also need to get a new battery for it as this one is a little weak and needs charging every once in a while.

nylyon

Here is a general idea of the clamp but it starts at 2 1/2", there must be someone who has smaller clamps.

G_16231G_SW_1.gif

CasualObserver

Hrmm... I've seen smaller ones used in pipe repairs in our building.... check with plumbing supply houses, maybe?. :D