Sign in to follow this  
gneuzil

brinley plow

gneuzil

I have a 520H wheel horse. It has a Quick way loader on it. I have taken the imp lift cylinder and made a home made 3 point rear lift. can adapt to a sleeve hitch style attachment. Do you think this tractor is strong enough to puell a 10" brinley plow without destroying the drive train. Tractor already has bar style tires and aprox 400 lbs balast for the loader? thanks

Rock farmer

My 1967 12 horse auto can do no worries!

The 520 could probably pull my 1276 with my 12" plow in the ground!

10" plow would be fine with an 8 horse.

That's my opinion.

Joe

B-100 Dan

I've pulled a 10 inch plow with a Commande 800, 8HP. Your 520 will not have any trouble at all.

KC9KAS

1st of all, :WRS: . 2nd, :wwp: . And 3rd, your Wheel Horse 520 will pull that plow like it isn't even there!

specialwheelhorse

Couldn't agree more!

I plowed half the back yard last year (established sod)

With a 702 and 8inch Brinly

Just got done plowing it again this year wide open in 2nd

Done a great job. No problemo

Did have about 100 # on the front about fifty under the seat

and another 30 # on the plow and a big lump on the seat ! !

Ag tires of course.

jbelue

Hey folks. New to the Wheel Horse family and happy to be a member. I just purchased a 94 314-H with 377 hrs. It looks nearly new except for a few cracks in the seat. Got the 42" deck, tiller, a Trac Vac and a mid grade plow in the deal. Absolutely can't wait to get a plow to make my garden bigger this year and saw an ad for a 12" Brinley plow for $150

Here are my questions being a complete novice to gardening with a tractor. Used a tiller the few times I've planted.

1) Is the 12" Brinley a turn plow? That is what I'm looking for to turn the soil then I plan to till after letting it sit a few days.

2) Would my Horse handle it and can it be hooked up to work with the hydralic lift without any modifications

3) I have a set 55 lb rear wheel wts ordered from Sears for a little over $100 if I pick up. Do you think I will need front wheel wts as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

There was no picture with the ad.

Thanks,

Jungle Jim

leeave96

I have a 520H wheel horse. It has a Quick way loader on it. I have taken the imp lift cylinder and made a home made 3 point rear lift. can adapt to a sleeve hitch style attachment. Do you think this tractor is strong enough to puell a 10" brinley plow without destroying the drive train. Tractor already has bar style tires and aprox 400 lbs balast for the loader? thanks

You will have no problem pulling a 10 inch brinley plow with your 520-H

Hey folks. New to the Wheel Horse family and happy to be a member. I just purchased a 94 314-H with 377 hrs. It looks nearly new except for a few cracks in the seat. Got the 42" deck, tiller, a Trac Vac and a mid grade plow in the deal. Absolutely can't wait to get a plow to make my garden bigger this year and saw an ad for a 12" Brinley plow for $150

Here are my questions being a complete novice to gardening with a tractor. Used a tiller the few times I've planted.

1) Is the 12" Brinley a turn plow? That is what I'm looking for to turn the soil then I plan to till after letting it sit a few days.

2) Would my Horse handle it and can it be hooked up to work with the hydralic lift without any modifications

3) I have a set 55 lb rear wheel wts ordered from Sears for a little over $100 if I pick up. Do you think I will need front wheel wts as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

There was no picture with the ad.

Thanks,

Jungle Jim

I would be very surprised is the 12 inch brinley is anything other than a moldboard plow. Usually the 12 inch is for a 3 point hitch, but I think you can add the clevis for a clevis hitch - you might have to make it though.

Your horse can handle it IMHO no problem. One thing you usually get with a 12 inch plow is depth wheel that can be handy in setting the depth and keeping it consistent throughout the plowing.

You probably don't need front weights - but I have them on my 314-8 and run them year round, plowing or mowing.

Good luck,

Bill

doc724

I had a 10 inch Brinley originally for my C111. No problems at all. You get that plow stuck on a root or a rock and it will pull the front end off the ground!

dcrage

Jim

Does your 314-H have a Eaton 1100 or an Eaton 700 transmission?? -- I just got off the Toro web site and the 314-H's first year of production (1985) has an Eaton 700 -- The last year it was made (1997) has an Eaton 1100 -- This matters -- An Eaton 700 should NOT be used with a turning plow

For what it is worth the fact that it came with a tiller (another ground engaging implement) (assuming the previous owner knew what was correct) would indicate an Eaton 1100

Edited by dcrage

jbelue

Thanks DCRAGE,

Yes it does have the 1100 Eaton. I had read somewhere else that the 700 was not made as well.

Thanks again for the warning. I looked over the book last night and what came with the tractor and know now that I will need the clevis hitch to hook up a brinly or other pin type pull plow.

Jim

6wheeler

I pull a 12" Moldboard plow with my 91' 520 with no problems at all. I do use  1- 50# suitcase weight on the front (the suitcase weight uses a converted simplicity mounting bracket). It is to keep the front end in the furrow. Otherwise it has a tendency to swing the tractor to the right. I have turf tires on the tractor and unless it is very wet, I can pull it with no trouble. I do not have weights on the rear. My 250# seat weight (myself) seems to do the trick. Mine has a clevis hitch mount. The only real problem I had was with the plow itself. The hitch isn't as strong as it should be, and had bent right behind the hitch bracket itself. Right in front of where it bolts to the main plow frame. My fix was to make a bracket that I welded to the plow hitch itself (right behind where the pin would drop into the clevis and to the right). Then I drilled the other end and bolted it on to the front plow frame bolt. So far, it seems to be working. I also pull this same plow with my C-165 because I actually like the 8spd for plowing versus the hydro. But, the plow is very heavy so the manual lift on the 165 can be a pain in the rear. That is where the 520 in my opinion shines. It lifts the plow perfectly every time. And, if I do start spinning? I can cheat, by lifting the plow a little bit to get going again. And, then drop it down when I get going. Your arm will get plenty tired trying that stunt with a manual lift. Hope this helps.  Pat