Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

WH 753 Transmission Broke...

mattd860

I was using my 1963 753 today and while traveling in 1st gear all of a sudden the shifter became really loose and I could not shift out of gear into neutral. I'm able to move the shifter all around but cannot get out of 1st gear or into neutral or another gear. I'm going to have to open up the transmission at some point to see what happened. Any guess? What should I be looking for in there?

TT

The very first thing I would do is loosen the set screw & remove the shifter. More than likely, you will need to make a custom hex key ("Allen wrench") by cutting the short end even shorter.

Inspect the shifter pivot ball for a broken roll pin and make sure the ball at the end of the shifter is still intact.

Once the shifter is removed, you can use a screwdriver or similar tool to move the shift fork back to neutral. (centered)

If the shifter is fine but the fork won't move, you'll need to split & diagnose.

• Like 1

mattd860

The very first thing I would do is loosen the set screw & remove the shifter. More than likely, you will need to make a custom hex key ("Allen wrench") by cutting the short end even shorter.

Inspect the shifter pivot ball for a broken roll pin and make sure the ball at the end of the shifter is still intact.

Once the shifter is removed, you can use a screwdriver or similar tool to move the shift fork back to neutral. (centered)

If the shifter is fine but the fork won't move, you'll need to split & diagnose.

Thanks Terry! I'll let you know how the shifter looks once I remove it later.

stevasaurus

Sometimes, if you loosen the hex nut, the dog point set screw may back out with it. :)

TT

Sometimes, if you loosen the hex nut, the dog point set screw may back out with it. :)

It's always better when that happens. :handgestures-thumbup:

When installing the shifter, I hold the set screw until the jam nut is tightened - or it ends up turning with the nut and getting too tight. There is very little room to work through the hole in that style of hoodstand, so I shortened a hex key - instead of mutilating the hole in the hoodstand like some I have seen. :disgust:

I usually remove the seat & spring too.

• Like 1

mattd860

How much gear oil do these rear ends take?

rmaynard

1-1/2 quarts

stevasaurus

90wt...like Bob said, but to be accurate...fill until it runs out the plug hole beneath one of the axles on the back of the trans. It is on the right in the early trannys, but may be on the left.

:)

mattd860

It's all fixed. The shifter is still in great shape but somehow it fell out of the 1st gear and reverse forks. Once I took out the shifter I was able to realign the forks in the neutral position and reinstall the shifter. I even changed the gear oil while I had the seat off.

Thanks again for all the help!

• Like 1

stevebo

Matt- That 753 is a junk tractor with a bad tranny.... you should just sell it :ychain:

• Like 1

mattd860

Steve, if you didn't already have 10 of them I would have gladly given to you for free. Oh well...

stevebo

No 753 models in my stable...

mattd860

What did you have a wheel horse fire sale recently?

stevasaurus

Matt, Stevebo is right, it is a junk tractor...no way what you had happen can happen with out some thing being really wrong. Bring it to the show and I will buy it for a little above scrap. :) :ychain: