Sign in to follow this  
Xjchief

Just picked up my first rj

Xjchief

Midway through my resto on my 59 rj. Been looking for one for about 5yrs now and finally found one it had no motor but I already had a k91 on a tiller so. It's coming along pretty good so far.

post-9395-0-42898700-1359857948_thumb.jp

Sparky

Looks good! Any pics of it before ya started?

And where in Connecticut?

:WRS:

Mike.....

Xjchief

Before resto

post-9395-0-76620300-1359858685_thumb.jp

Jake Kuhn

Looking very nice! :handgestures-thumbup:

Not trying to criticize here( you may have them on like that for a reason?) your seat spring should be flipped around IF you are trying to be original with it. Also, your belt is not routed the way it would have came from the factory. (again I am not trying to criticize as you may have this for a reason, just thought I would let you know if You were trying to keep it 100% correct)

~Jake

• Like 1

Xjchief

It's funny you say that those things were 2 of my questions cus I couldn't seem to find any definitive answers on those. Thanks for that. Im gonna change those things . does the clutch pully go on top of the belt?

• Like 1

stevebo

that was the one on cl a few weeks ago. did it come with the front hood weight too? oh yeah... :WRS:

Xjchief

Yes it was and it does have the hood weight

Wishin4a416

Looks good. Doing a real nice job!

fabricator2009

Doing a very nice job. Keep up the good work.

wallfish

Yes, the clutch pulley belongs on top of the belt

TT

I think the tranz pulley is on backwards too.

Where are you going to put the gas tank? :scratchead:

• Like 1

Xjchief

On the rj the tank attaches to the hood which I am not done with yet

TT

I only asked because you already have the nose (grille) section painted and on the tractor and there's no sign of the rest of the hood.

Is the the top portion of the hood in the "before" picture just a piece of sheetmetal? :confusion-shrug:

Xjchief

No the piece that's on the tractor already is the cast iron hood weight next I have to smooth and paint the top of the hood which is seperate

TT

Ummmmmm.....OK :scratchead:

The front hood weights I have seen go inside the front of the original hood - behind the grille.

I didn't think they had the lettering either. :confusion-shrug:

fireman

TT, did the original hood weight have the Wheel Horse logo on it? The ones I have seen were smooth on the front.

Xjchief

Yea I don't know the info and pics on these weights are scarce but it all seems legit it weighs about 85 lbs+ /- when I sand blasted it it is def cast iron, but that's how I got it ,the hood screws to it with 2 screws on top so.. That's why I joined here to get more info

Xjchief

Another pic of it

post-9395-0-20923200-1359927522_thumb.jp

TT

TT, did the original hood weight have the Wheel Horse logo on it? The ones I have seen were smooth on the front.

The smooth ones are all I have ever seen too, Jeff. They stood upright behind the grille.

The one in this topic looks like the front of a hood was used to make the mold.

VinsRJ

The original nose weights for the RJ were smooth and fit in to the front of the hood. You were to drill two holes in your hood (the sides) and drill and tap the nose weight for those screwes.

This is a RJ nose weight:

post-1597-0-43848500-1359936570_thumb.jp

• Like 1

fireman

That's what I thought TT and Vin. TT I agree with your thought that someone used the front of the hood for mold.

XJCHIEF

I would look for another complete hood and make the weight fit inside.

clintonnut

I kind of like that hood weight! If you did use it as the nose, try to find a really clean way to attach it so it looks like the hood and not 2 pieces. Maybe add a flange on the top sheetmetal piece that can use machine screws on the underside to screw into the weight. No bolts showing and just a small seam like the factory had from welding the 2 pieces of sheetmetal together for the original RJ hood. Use what you have until you find a savable original RJ hood.

• Like 2

stevebo

Almost like a panzer hood right Charlie? I think you should just sell that hood weight to me (or trade for something) lol...

Xjchief

I find it highly unlikely an average person could melt down 85lbs of iron and pour it into a mold and make this. But even if it is not a true wheelhorse factory part it is still a one off which is very cool and if it turns out to be a true part then it will still be a one off that noone knew existed either way its a win in my book

• Like 1

stevebo

I agree...

• Like 1