Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

HDAP Tires? No Chains Needed?

Challenger

I learn things new to me every day. I just saw on another site several comments about HDAP garden tractor tires and their exceptional traction. Many users have discarded chains due to the tires excellent traction capabilities.

I'd never heard of HDAP tires. Are some of you guys using them?

I want the best traction I can get in snow and I got the impression that these tires are better than standard tires with chains.

Your Thoughts?

TT

HDAP = "Heavy Duty All Purpose". I should have known it was just a modern-day acronym for something that's been around for years. :rolleyes:

I used to see lots of those tires on the back of three wheelers in the 80's.

As for how they work on a garden tractor, ask Sparky:

I run V bar chains on weighted turf tires and have for years. I have yet to see any tread design on a rubber tire get traction on ice.

• Like 1

Ken B

Just like there ain't no substitute for cubic inches......There ain't no substitute for a good set of chains. Its not all about the tread design either, the tread design can look super agressive but if the tires are wide and made out of a super hard compound they won't be nearly as good as a set of chains. I feel the best tire for our Wheel Horse's if you aren't going to use chains are the narrow 6x12 snow tire treads. (if you find a set you can put studs in?) They are almost like the old Firestone Town & Country tires. Now that was a legendary tire. I had a 1970 Olds Cutlass back 25 yrs. ago. I threw a new set of Town and Country's on the Olds and that thing was unstoppable. I live on a mountain, I can remember a time when we had a serious snow storm, 4x4's couldn't make it up the hill. I told them to get outta my way because I was coming up the hill. They thought I was nuts. (I am) I made it up no problem, I held it to the floor to show boat a little, the glass pack mufflers were mighty loud. My tires were awesome, theirs sucked. I had a set of small block Chevy heads for weight in the trunk. My brother in law has worked for Firestone for almost 30 yrs. He told me one reason they stopped making Town & Country tires is because they were too good. I'm not too sure how true that is? Like TT said, no tire will get good traction on ice.

• Like 5

rmaynard

I don't think that the tread pattern on HDAP tires will negate the need for chains. With a little ice in the mix, there won't be any difference between them and regular turf tires. My cousin lives in snow country and has a set on his quad. He still uses chains when pushing snow. I wouldn't waste my money. Get a good set of chains. :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

Challenger

Oh I've got chains and lots of weight, but I still don't have all the traction I'd like in snow.

I'm not as concerned with ice. I follow a pretty good snow removal routine and then treat surfaces for ice.

I know there are limitations to a 2wd machine. People on a "green site" seemed to be really impressed with the HDAP tires on their 2wd machines and I am curious about real world snow experiences. (We get lots of snow!)

TT

Oh I've got chains and lots of weight, but I still don't have all the traction I'd like in snow.

How wide are the tires on your tractor?

sorekiwi

I feel the best tire for our Wheel Horse's if you aren't going to use chains are the narrow 6x12 snow tire treads. (if you find a set you can put studs in?) They are almost like the old Firestone Town & Country tires.

Are these the tires you are talking about Ken?

IMG_2479.jpg

I havent tried these out in the snow, at 45 years old I'm sure the rubber is a little harder than it used to be. I havent looked recently, but Miller Tire had them in their catalog a few years ago.

• Like 1

Challenger

My tire size is 23x10.50-12

sorekiwi

I havent tried the 23X10.5-12's in the snow, I put 8.5 wide tires (with weights and chains) on my 520H last year when I was blowing with it. I would imagine that the narrower tire would help a lot.

IMG_3544.jpg

After the first time I used it, I removed half of the weights off the rear, it wouldnt steer with that much weight on the back.

KC9KAS

"Loaded" Turf tires and chains is what I use and am very happy with this combination.

TT

As previously mentioned, narrow tires mean more weight in a concentrated area, which equals more traction - and the ability to dig down to something to grip more quickly.

I remember how all of the guys with lifted trucks would take the tall/wide tires off and put the little tires back on for winter.

Even with just a light snow, my old J-10 Jeep wouldn't back out of a level driveway without being in 4WD - and it only had 31X10.50's

My 416-H has 9.50's on it this winter, but that's because I didn't feel like digging out the 8.50's and changing them around. :hide:

• Like 1

Ken B

I feel the best tire for our Wheel Horse's if you aren't going to use chains are the narrow 6x12 snow tire treads. (if you find a set you can put studs in?) They are almost like the old Firestone Town & Country tires.

IMG_2479.jpg

I havent tried these out in the snow, at 45 years old I'm sure the rubber is a little harder than it used to be. I havent looked recently, but Miller Tire had them in their catalog a few years ago.

Yep, them be the ones, fantastic tires.

diesel cowboy

IMG_2479.jpg

Yep, them be the ones, fantastic tires.

Those are great. Last I checked they still made them. Had to get one for a customer about 5 years ago and when I called the local tire place and told them what it was he said to get Carlisel turf savers in the 6x12 size as it was the same tread. I just dont think they had the holes to put studs in. Stewart

Challenger

I understand narrow tires are better in the snow. One thing I neglected to mention is our primary winter attachment is a Kwik-Way Loader. Single NOT dual wheels. What do you think about tractor/loader stability with narrow winter tires?

HorseWhisperer

I have a blacktop driveway(smooth)It is a steep grade as well.I hated chains because they just slipped and marred the driveway.I added brand new 8.50x12 deestone ags,filled them w antifreeze,added 125#apiece lead filled wheel weights and 100# add ons to the hitch.This raider wouldnt slip a tire on a bowling lane coated with crisco.Chains are for last minute changes to a summer of not planning!lol

pinecone

planned to check this old guy out. was wondering arout the rear tires. same tread. any idea what year and model it is, would like to be prepared a bit when i call. the add only said "red". hope the photo comes out. i have not posted 1 yet.

post-7287-0-78894500-1359903256.jpg

TT

any idea what year and model it is

That's an RJ-58 / 59 (1958/59)

All of the tires look to be newer replacements.

Many manufacturers had that tread design available back then, and there were even some Wheel Horse branded tires in that style.

• Like 1

WheelHorse_of_course

Yes, these are great.

pinecone

thanks terry. about what i thought from looking at photos. i'm such a rookie the only horse i've ever seen is mine and one i looked at during an estate sale on friday close to where i work. wanted $1000 for a c101 with a plow blade only. not too great looking by any means with a jd seat and wheel weights. yellow give away even to me. gave him my card and a $225 offer. could use a snow pusher though.

pfrederi

Another view of ( and vote for) the 6.00x12s with chains!!

207672234737859.jpg

TT

I understand narrow tires are better in the snow. One thing I neglected to mention is our primary winter attachment is a Kwik-Way Loader. Single NOT dual wheels. What do you think about tractor/loader stability with narrow winter tires?

If the outside width was the same (or very close) the stability shouldn't change. That might mean modifying the wheel offset or installing spacers.

You'd have to be cautious and not run around with the bucket up in the air, but that's S.O.P. with a loader.

ericj

when i was a kid dad bought a 73 12 AUTO and had 100# of calcium put in each rear tire and that tractor was helpless in the snow with out chains. but then he bought a D200 with 26x12x12 rear tires with 180# of calcium plus 50# wheel weights and that tractor would walk right over top of the snow so my point is that flotation will also help with our small tractors and i have seen this with my 520 with the 23x10.50x12 it seems to float over top the snow. i have never ran the 6x12 so i can't say how they work just my 2 cents worth

eric j

TT

......that tractor would walk right over top of the snow so my point is that flotation will also help with our small tractors

But..... if you're clearing the snow ahead of the tractor (loader, blade, blower/thrower) floatation over the snow is irrelevant.

ericj

yea i guess in that way you are right ag tires work pretty good on black top as long as not to steep but on dirt or gravel with only a little slop you need chains. at my house i have no need for chains but at my brothers houses you can't hardly plow with out chains no matter what tires you have. lots depend on the conditions at that time and place like I've said i run ag tires but keep a set of chains for as needed

eric j

woodchuckfarmer

Ive got ags and 2 link chains on the 518, with 40 lbs in each wheel. I just want to be ready for the worst possible conditions....Wayne