Sign in to follow this  
Indy443

Lift Arm is not catching

Indy443

Hi Folks,

I went to move my 312-8 this afternoon and after starting it up went to pull the snowblower up off the ground with the lift arm. It is not 'catching' and therefore will not stay lifted up. When I pull the arm all the way up and then slowly lower it down, I can softly feel through the arm where it wants to catch, but it does not catch and the blower is back on the ground. Any thoughts or solutions on this issue? It worked perfectly just a few days ago when I had to blow off the driveway. Thanks!

leeave96

I'm wondering if you got some snow/moisture in it and it's slightly frozen. Does the tractor set outside? I had this happen on another color tractor of mine and wound-up shooting some PB Blaster down the lift handle for several days as the ice and moisture loosened up some rust too. Works fine now. If that ain't it - you might have a weak spring in/on the handle.

Good luck,

Bill

Indy443

I'm wondering if you got some snow/moisture in it and it's slightly frozen. Does the tractor set outside? I had this happen on another color tractor of mine and wound-up shooting some PB Blaster down the lift handle for several days as the ice and moisture loosened up some rust too. Works fine now. If that ain't it - you might have a weak spring in/on the handle.

Good luck,

Bill

The tractor is outside, and we had a major warmup including some rain, and then the temperature dropped to below zero the next day causing major icing of everything. Anything remotely moist, damp or wet is bound solid. I keep the tractor covered with an all weather cover but it did get blown off in the high winds and moisture definitely coated the tractor. So I am sure it is what you are describing Bill. Is there any way to get heat in there to loosen things up? Hairdryer?

KC9KAS

I would thaw it out with hair dryer or heat gun. After it feels "free" again and catches like it should, spray some WD-40 or other moisture displacing spray in the bottom of the tube....maybe a little spray through the release button too.....Mine was rusty and the rod was dragging inside the tube.

can whlvr

if its not water then it can be the spring under the plastic on the lift handle,theres a roll pin in there that has to be removed to get at the spring,also had to replace the part the spring sits in,it could also could be a bent lift handle,or the part the lift rod inside the handle locks into at the bottom of the handle,ive had to replace that part before as well

sorekiwi

If it is a water/freezing problem, a heat gun or hair dryer might work.

The choke cable on my 310 must have some moisture in it, on these cold days I need to warm the cable with a heat gun to be able to use the choke. It takes about 10 seconds to free the cable (quicker than finding the heat gun and the extension cord!).

Be a little careful though, heat guns can get hot enough to scorch your paint.

Indy443

Where would one aim the heat? Down in the 'knuckle' at the bottom of the arm, or somewhere along the shaft? This problem got me thinking, how does the lift arm linkage work? What was that soft 'catch' I could feel? And how would snow/ice affect the arm from catching and locking?

TT

Does the release button at the top of the lift lever seem to be working correctly? :confusion-shrug:

Here's what is behind the side cover:

07R10016.jpg

The pieces highlighted in red are the latch bracket and the latch rod.

If ice is not letting the latch rod retract completely, it won't lock in the notch in the bracket.

Start heating at the bottom of the lever tube and work upward to the grip.

If the button at the top of the handle pops up a little more, then it was ice.

prondzy

What about using a sunflower heater on a 20lb cylinder to heat up the area and if your careful and watching things you could probably cover the rest of the tractor with a tarp or cover of some sort to thaw out the rest of the tractor as well? Just my thoughts it would be faster.

woodchuckfarmer

Ihad one tractor do this and the spring was totally rusted in two.......good luck....Wayne