Sign in to follow this  
perry

picked up a log splitter

perry

Wife found a log splitter on the local garage sale web page. people were moving and only asking $100 . said everthing worked last year but needs carb work.

this thing is a monster. 6ft wide and 10ft long. the ram is huge on it. guy said it would split anything . been after a splitter for a long time and could not pass this one up for the price. going to build a cover over the chain for sure.

00001abc003.jpg

00001abc001.jpg

00001abc005.jpg

00001abc004.jpg

00001abc002.jpg

00001abc006.jpg

CRE1992

Nice Find! I myself am looking for a splitter but not a conventional hydraulic one. I want a super split log splitter! Good luck with it! You might want to replace the chain with a pulley and belt set up, if that pump locks up fo4 whatever reason you might shear off the crank break it.

-Charles

Edited by CRE1992

Jake Kuhn

Great deal!

6wheeler

Looks like a good splitter. Kind of like the beast I have. Maybe you would want to look into removing the chain and make it direct drive with a lovejoy coupler. It goes on the crankshaft and the input shaft on the pump with a neoprene cushion drive between them that will shear and is replaceable if something were to happen.

perry

with the one flat shredded tire had to figure out a way to get this thing to roll by hand. it has old hubs with a 5 1/4" pattern and lug bolts. a 15" rim on one side and 16" on the other.

so i dug around the yard and found had a old 15" chevy rim and tire . drilled 3 holes in the rim to fit the hub on splitter. the hubs have a big center so slid rim on as far as it would go and used spacers to fill the gap between rim and hub. then just used nuts/bolts to hold rim on. no more flat tire and i can push it around now.

splitter005_zps9fbf0c76.jpg

splitter007_zpsa0340d25.jpg

splitter009_zpsce65acd8.jpg

splitter010_zps3ca82dab.jpg

6wheeler

I thought I was the only one that used the "It'll work, don't sweat it" theory. By the way, It'll work, don't sweat it! :teasing-poke: :tools-hammerdrill:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Nice Find! I myself am looking for a splitter but not a conventional hydraulic one. I want a super split log splitter! Good luck with it! You might want to replace the chain with a pulley and belt set up, if that pump locks up fo4 whatever reason you might shear off the crank break it.

-Charles

I wouldn't mind one of those with a small diesel engine. It would go forever on fuel.

Ken B

Nice score Perry! Here are a few pics of my spitller. It was totally scratch built by my brothers friends father in law who is 100% Russian. He made it here in CT. while staying over for the summer. Its a beast with a low hr 10 hp Kohler on it. It is supposedly made like they make them in Russia. I must say, the old timer knew what he was doing! The ram speed is just right, it has auto return, it has knock off bars and it hasn't met a log yet that got the better of it. Almost makes me wish I had some wood to split!

013.jpg

011.jpg

• Like 2

perry

log splitter is working . still have a few issues to work out.

Wheel-N-It

Those are two nice log splitters!

perry

this thing is a bear to get started when the fluid is cold. the pull start had to go , so i came up with this .

briggs019_zps950bc34d.jpg

briggs021_zpsb055ff45.jpg

briggs022_zps871b0a0b.jpg

briggs023_zps15e79457.jpg

chain cover

briggs002_zps857d521f.jpg

Ken B

You da man Perry! That Briggs sounds real good and she looks like new. Lets see that bad boy split some wood! You have motivated me to fire the splitter up this weekend and maybe make a video. Maybe I'll even fire up the old Homelite XL-12 and wake the neighbors up bright n early.

• Like 1

perry

You da man Perry! That Briggs sounds real good and she looks like new.

yes the engine runs great. very please with this purchase so far. didn't expect much out of it for the price i paid. still only have the $100 into it i bought it for. going to have to shuck some money out when i get into the cylinder rebuild. that should be fun .

perry

time to fix the leak:

got the cylinder apart. the large lock coller was a bugger. threads were rusty/cruddy and fought the whole way off. who knows how long the cylinder has been on there. now need to get the parts to reassemble.

abca007_zpsd85e4856.jpg

abca004_zpse09cd12e.jpg

abca001_zpsa43c5c1b.jpg

abca005_zpscc8c8f36.jpg

abca006_zpsdebed7c8.jpg

perry

The hydraulic cylinder is done. took the rest of the hydraulic parts off to drain old fluid and clean. fixed a small seam leak on the tank and added a quite muffler. added the new fluid and filter today and fired it up . it's working great

first test run

splitting some wood

6wheeler

Good work Perry. Those old cylinders can be a real PITA to get apart. I like the chain cover.too. Mine has a wisconsin  2 cyl. diesel on it(overkill). I was thinking about putting a taller stack on it because it is so dang loud. How long of a piece can that animal handle? Mine can take a 17" piece. The chunks I am splitting are 2' in diameter and they are plenty heavy so I don't think I'd want them much longer. Good luck with it. It looks like it will do the job for many years to come.