Sign in to follow this  
groundhog47

Firestone Tri Ribs question/problem

groundhog47

Has any one gotten NEW firestone tri ribs and mounted or had them mounted only to find one or both leaking at bead on rim? If so other than shipping back or tubing them is there another fix that won't eat up inside of rim. Any help appreciated, thanks

SousaKerry

I know most tire shops use a product to seal the bead not sure what it is called but someone here will surely know.

groundhog47

If you have an Advance Auto near you.

http://shop.advancea...seal_16910014-p

Thanks, that'll beat two tubes price and or a ship back fee

Kelly

I had a problem with on of mine, I blew it up extra hard and drove it around, left it hard for a few days, then aired it back down, now no more leak, and you have to have very clean rims for them to seal good.

VinsRJ

Just tube it. Thats what I do on all tires... new or used.

If you ever have to take the tire off, what a mess that stuff makes.

• Like 1

artfull dodger

Try the bead sealer and if it doesnt work, tube it. We have had to tube brand new front tires on ZTR's at the shop I used to work at, just a fact of life with these smaller tires. Even with a super clean rim and new tire, a good seal on these small rim tires isnt always possible. I wouldnt ship them back, new pair would probably do the same thing. Usualy bead sealer will fix the issue, slather it on good all the way around on both sides then blow it up good, that means beyond the normal pressure you would leave it at. Leave it like that overnight then drop it to normal pressure. Cheers Mike

baerpath

I know most tire shops use a product to seal the bead not sure what it is called but someone here will surely know.

Bead sealer is the name it's from Tech LOL

• Like 1

Don1977

Did you over inflate it when putting it on to make sure it is seated on the rim properly. A stiff tire is hard to get seated on the rim.

groundhog47

Thanks all, won't for sure return due to ship cost, after readin' advice first tried reinflating over pressure advised and malleting and bouncin' around. This reduced leak over 3/4 leaking area. Haven't tried runnin' on tractor to seat as hubs still frsh painted and want a good dry hub installed on axel. After all that if refails will try the bead seal stuff and last resort tubes. My 2 month old Carlisles never leaked a drop, so they may have used the bead seal on them. Lastly, I ain't givin' up till the cows come home and I don't have any cows!

Edited by groundhog47

groundhog47

Did you over inflate it when putting it on to make sure it is seated on the rim properly. A stiff tire is hard to get seated on the rim.

Don... that really helped, and may have to repeat several times. Sealed at least 3/4 of leakat first try with bouncin' on concrete after reinflate. Brought em in to keep warm and will try again!
  • Like 1

buckrancher

My firestones did the same thing I just broke the bead free and brushed a coat of bead sealer on the bead and reinflated.

leak gone

Brian

puddlejumper

Bead sealer would probably be best, but I have had good luck with just a fingerfull of black moly grease around the bead, seems to work just fine.

leeave96

I haven't used bead sealer, but am going to try it. I'm not a big fan of tubes simply (IMHO) it is a hassle to patch them. I get a fair amount of flats because I do some mowing where there are thorns and briars at times and it's easy to plug the tire and keep going. I have used this green stuff, I think it's called Slime. It works pretty good, but agree that it makes a potential mess for whoever changes the tires. I've got one tractor that's due for new rear tires and they have Slime in them. I'm going to drill holes - like a 1 inch hole and wash out everything before I take it to someone to replace.

Good luck,

Bill

groundhog47

Thanks Bill, yest day they were flat/no measurable air. Reinflated and less side/rim bubbles than before. Had thought about slime but got scared with something saw about wheel damage, then saw they make formula for tubless. Won't rule that out till let them set awhile for recheck, Prob a week off from mountin' on hubs.

Edited by groundhog47

VinsRJ

Gerry... I know it sucks but just tube it. And if you put that slime crap in the tire... just throw the whole thing away if the problem continues or you have an issue with the tire down the line. Trust me... if you ever had to take a tire off with that slime in it... you will quickly find out that inflicting severe pain on yourself is not such a bad idea.

Just my $.02 though :thumbs2:

Edited by VinsRJ