Sign in to follow this  
Mr. 856

K181 connecting rod..Im confused with #'a

Mr. 856

I need to get a standard rod ASAP and im confused. Do I order by the # stamped on the rod or do I go by the original owners manual that shows it as part #A-231801? The machine shop is just polishing the crank its doesnt need to be ground. The cylinder is being bored to .020 with a new piston(not kohler OEM) but id like to probably stick with a OEM rod. Unless you guys tell me otherwise. Seems the opinions on rods is split between OEM or aftermarket. The machine shop told me to get a standard rod or they can get one. There opinion is the aftermarket rods are just fine. So..............what do I order?

TT

The latest substitution for A-231801 is 41 067 10-S

While the OEM Kohler part is definitely superior, you have to decide whether you want to spend an additional $50

How hard will the engine be used and how often?

Mr. 856

Thanks for the reply TT. As for use...........I used it mostly for just for running yard crap out to the pile with a trailer. Have used her a few times in the past for pulling dirt back from the walls around the indoor. She doesnt do any mowing. I do have the blower for it so hope to use that if we EVER get any snow. Wish I had this thing running two years ago with all the snow we had.

In any event I want it to last......the last thing I want to have is a rod failure after the rebuild. So to answer your question......any extra $50 is worth it to me. It appears the original rod lasted 45+ years. Hopefully the new one will to. So that being said.......is the sub # your showing Kohler or aftermarket?

TT

41 067 10-S is genuine Kohler. You'll know it's a real one by the price. :eusa-whistle:

I'm with you on the OEM parts lasting 45+ years - and then some. :handgestures-thumbup:

Mr. 856

Thanks TT

• Like 1

rmaynard

I would make sure that the machine shop has the rod in hand before doing anything to the crankshaft. He should measure the rod/crank pin clearance before and after polishing.

• Like 1

Mr. 856

Yes that is the plan. Get it to him before he does the polishing. I didnt think i needed a rod but he didnt like the scoring. The crank looked good.

So question............the new rod is the "posi lock" style. Im assuming a kohler rod will work with a non kohler piston assy. correct? Im ready to pull the trigger on a kohler rod for approx $70 and it needs to be correct. LOL

TT

It sounds like the rod journal was already measured and determined to be in spec - even after polishing. (which normally removes very little metal)

I don't think they would have told you to buy a standard rod if the journal size was in question.

I know I wouldn't want to spend the money on a new standard rod then find out the crank needs ground undersize.

As far as OEM rod compatibility with the aftermarket piston, it shouldn't be a problem.

The aftermarket piston compression (pin) height, wrist pin diameter, etc. should be the same as OEM if they are being copied correctly.

Who will be assembling the engine?

Mr. 856

Me, after all the machine work is done......Im a wrench just dont have the tools do this kind of work. Boring, etc. I will leave that up to them. It came apart easy and expect it will go back together rather easy.