whc160

HOW MANY 520-8'S ?

whc160

Well yesterday I picked up a 520-8 from another member here. On the way home I got to thinking about there only being 225 of them made. Then I thought how many are left out there. So I thought it would bo cool to see how many members on here own one at this time?

I forgot to get pics of mine. Don't have it here at home, so I will have to get some later.

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE ONE. A 520-8 WITH 22 HOURS ON IT. NEVER BEEN OUT IN THE RAIN. THE BEST THING IS IT WAS FREE.

wh5208speed

I have owned seven 520-8's over the years. I have always kept an eye out for them and I have sold several to friends that I see at the Wheel Horse show in Ardentsville. The 2nd Wheel Horse I bought was a 520-8. I was looking for a 520H....I didn't even know they made a 520-8 and a local Toro dealer pointed me to a customer that had a 520 for sale. I know folks on here sometimes hate Onan's.....but I don't think there is a cooler sound than the 520 at idle. In fact, I think I will now have to get it up and start mine just to listen to it...... I currently have one and I have another one that my uncle is keeping warm for me that has the factory electric lift :) Thad (Ohio)

Tankman

Currently restoring my latest find, 520-8.

Not in great shape but, restore able (like duh!).

Nice Horse!

• Like 1

546cowboy

I had one but sold it to a collector in Ohio last year. I am pretty sure he is a member here. Actually come to think about it, that was almost two years ago. :eusa-think: :eek:

Edited by 546cowboy

wh500special

I've got one. Thanks to Dustin and Eldon, it was rescued from Maryland and brought back to the midwest where it belongs. :)

Had another that Ken Chevelletown owns/owned.

I was in my local dealership here in St. Louis about a year ago and he had a trade-in that they were planning to fix up for resale. I asked about it and we talked about the model's relative rarity. He said he sold at least 20 of them back in 1990/91, so there must be a cluster of them floating around here.

I'd bet the majority of them are still at work somewhere.

Steve

TT

Mine was sold several years ago to a guy up near Strykersville / Arcade / Gainesville, NY. (If I'm remembering correctly.)

If you find one, make sure it's "real". There's also some well-built "fakes" floating around.

whc160

Mine was sold several years ago to a guy up near Strykersville / Arcade / Gainesville, NY. (If I'm remembering correctly.)

If you find one, make sure it's "real". There's also some well-built "fakes" floating around.

TT I just saw a 520-8 for sale on ebay. The seller said that it was a 520-H he had converted over. It looked like he had done a real good job.

TT

A manual lift 516 or 518 would be a great start for a "clone" since they didn't have all the extras of a 520-H.

Cable

I bought one last year and would like to clean it up a little. One question that I have is where is the "USA" decal supposed to be located? On my 1990 520-H it is in the middle-front of the fender pan as it is on my four other 520-Hs, but on the 1990 520-8 it is on the right. I would like to hear from others where their decal is located. I agree that the Onans have a fantastic sound.http://s1232.beta.photobucket.com/user/bdc201/media/USADecalLocation_zps307d2b73.jpg.html

TT

Mine (S/N 10581) was front & center on the fender:

post-33-0-62138200-1359559319_thumb.jpg

ericj

i have a 520-8 i believe... it looks like a 520-8 forward swept axle, 3 gauge dash, no chrome on the muffler, right decals, and the right motor, but the model number on the seat fender pan says it is a 1990 520 hydro. my thinking is that the dealer in order to get the sale switched a damaged fender pan of the 8 speed with a hydro unit sitting on the floor. if some body had made the tractor they would have put a fender pan on with either no model # or model number from what ever they had laying around, but what are the chances that they had a 1990 520-H fender pan laying around. the whole tractor is rusted the same and all the paint is faded the same and no different shades of paint.

it will always be a 520-8 to me and if i would, but doubt if i would get rid of it, i would make full dis-closer that it may not be an original 8 speed. my brother is working on a deal with me to get my 96 520-H with a 60" deck in exchange for restoring my 520-8 some time this spring or summer

so what do you guy think a clone or an original. there are some pictures of it in my gallery

eric j

Kelly

I don't own one but want one, I sold a C-121 to a guy a year or so ago, and when I delivered it to him he had a 520-8speed in his garage, he said he bought it new, and it had 2000+ hours on it and was ruff, but I told him if he ever wanted to sell it I would like dibs on it.

I in the mean time plane to build my own out of a few 520's I have here and some 518 parts I have, and if I ever sell it I will state it's a clone, but when I build it, it probably will never leave.

• Like 1

whc160

i have a 520-8 i believe... it looks like a 520-8 forward swept axle, 3 gauge dash, no chrome on the muffler, right decals, and the right motor, but the model number on the seat fender pan says it is a 1990 520 hydro. my thinking is that the dealer in order to get the sale switched a damaged fender pan of the 8 speed with a hydro unit sitting on the floor. if some body had made the tractor they would have put a fender pan on with either no model # or model number from what ever they had laying around, but what are the chances that they had a 1990 520-H fender pan laying around. the whole tractor is rusted the same and all the paint is faded the same and no different shades of paint.

it will always be a 520-8 to me and if i would, but doubt if i would get rid of it, i would make full dis-closer that it may not be an original 8 speed. my brother is working on a deal with me to get my 96 520-H with a 60" deck in exchange for restoring my 520-8 some time this spring or summer

so what do you guy think a clone or an original. there are some pictures of it in my gallery

eric j

I bought my 77 C-160 from Kelly. We both looked the numbers up & it said it was a 77 B-80. It is the same thing as you have said. All of the other decals are right and all of the paint is faded the same. I think it is possible that the model tags got mixed up at the assembly line. You never know they could have been made on a Monday or a Friday.

Tankman

.....but I don't think there is a cooler sound than the 520 at idle. In fact, I think I will now have to get it up and start mine just to listen to it.....Thad (Ohio)

Just got my '90 520-8 that I'm restoring, running. Running without the hood while the hood is being blasted. Darn. Then I'll have to order a new set of decals. Life is tough!

I better go start the Onan, for lubrication purposes. It doesn't need to be started but, I better go and listen to the 2-cylinder Onan run some more......just in case. :-)

• Excellent 1

Tankman

The Onan 520-8 diagram shows 2 nipples, 1 elbow, and a cap on the oil drain.

Mine has one nipple and a cap.

Run down to the supply and purchased the missing elbow and 4" nipple. This'll

make oil changes much easier!

What should I use for thread (pipe) sealant on the pipe threads?

Regular Teflon® pipe dope (paste) sealant?

Below, less the hood, is the first sprint this Stallion has taken in two years!

Loved the power! The hood is back, blasted, inside of the hood painted. Then the outer hood, and a new set of decals from the Vinyl Guy. He does a great job too!

• Like 1

Kevbo

Whooo! Lookin good Tankman! I'm so glad you saved that 520-8... :bow-blue:

whc160

Tankman you got it looking good. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I have a few more projects to get done before I can get started on my 520-8.

Torino

Are all 520-8s manual lift?

TT

Are all 520-8s manual lift?

Yes - unless they had the # 8-4227 (84227) electric lift kit installed.

Wheel-N-It

Nice work Tankman! You got yourself one fine Stallion there :)

whc160

Well this weekend I made it over to a friends house where I have my 520-8 stored.  Out of room here at home and have 2 at work that I am working on.  So here are some pics.

8507567773_ab2799767b_m.jpg  8508673414_2cbf5216c3_m.jpg  8507566389_975cd7a401_m.jpg

I do know one thing.  I want to put 10.50 wide bar tires on the back.  It does not look right with only 8.50 wide tires on the back.  The back is like 5" narrower than the front.

DurrMeister

I have a 520-8 that I am currently putting a new engine in.  Unfortunatey the Onan finally died.  The valve seats came lose and were hanging by a thread/  Trying to figure out the wiring now

Handy Don
On 12/26/2023 at 5:28 PM, DurrMeister said:

I have a 520-8 that I am currently putting a new engine in.  Unfortunatey the Onan finally died.  The valve seats came lose and were hanging by a thread/  Trying to figure out the wiring now

You've added to a VERY old thread. Might be helpful to start a thread just for your re-power. There are plenty of others who’ve gone this route but we are ever curious (and need PICTURES!)

BTW, join as a supporter to get LOTS more room for uploading pictures :D