Sign in to follow this  
bobbyp109

New member with a question

bobbyp109

I've been reading all the great info here and it's very helpful. I'm pretty sure I have a 520H but, can't find tags anywhere. I've searched all the places mentioned, still nothing. It's got the Onan P220, speed controller between the legs, 48 inch side discharge (numbers on deck said it was made 87/88) but things don't always seem consistent with others I'm seen and read about. I'd like to know the year or maybe somewhere else I might find a tag. Mine also has 8 test lights in the dash with the switch to test (left side is lights switch right side is test switch) if this helps. The front axles go slightly forward but, not like some I've seen for the 60 inch deck (newer TORO models I presume). The decals have also come off the hood, only the side HYDRO decals remain. This baby sat outside a while before i got it and someone painted some of it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sparky

Wheel Horse only made one machine with a 20hp Onan so its probably a 520. Unless someone put a 20hp Onan in a something other than a 520. If the motion control lever is not on the steering coloumn then its an early 520, maybe an 1988ish. I think the first 520 with a swept axle was 1990 unless you have a 520-HC but I thought those did not come with dash board lights.

Confused yet :grin: ? Can you post up a picture or two of it?

And of course>>>>>>> :WRS:

Mike....

varosd

:text-welcomeconfetti:

should be 1988 or 89 520-H like mine below

photo7.jpg

:wwp:

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

546cowboy

Welcome to Red Square! :rs: If the motion lever is between your legs it has to be an '88 or '89' 1990 and later had the motion lever on the right of the steering wheel and the lift lever on the left side. The swept forward axle is very noticeable and was on the 1990 and newer 520's. The model tag was on the seat pan just left of the seat track and was a paper tag.

KATO

Welcome to :rs:

can whlvr

:WRS: like sparky asked can u post a pic or 2

bobbyp109

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses. I bought this WH from what was supposed to be the original owner. He said it came originally with a 20HP Koehler that burnt up within the first 200 hours and the dealer replaced it with the Onan. Have any of you heard of this? I love this machine and also have a 42 inch snow blower. It mows anything and sure moves the snow. I just turned 600 hours on the last storm. It looks just like the 1 pictured below with the blade on it (just yours is in better condition).

post-9452-0-12221700-1359343316_thumb.jp

post-9452-0-05608500-1359343473_thumb.jp

Sparky

It never had a Kohler on it, so if it is a replacement motor its exactly what it originally came with. Looks like a straight axle to me so its an 88 or 89. The model# tag was a decal on the fender pan. Most of them have worn off or faded to the point where it cant be read. I dont think there is a difference in the 88 or 89 models so you should be able to use either model# when looking up parts.

1988= 31-20OE01

1989= 31-20OE02

Mike................

Edited by Sparky

KC9KAS

:WRS:

bobbyp109

Thanks Mike for the info. A local dealer told me the only way to tell for sure was to bring it to them but, it's over 30 miles away and they wouldn't look at pictures :angry-nono: . Hard to get the right belts sometimes without the model number.

Also, something happened about a year ago to the electrical system. A local repair guy unhooked all the extra safety switches (like the seat) but, now it seems I have a power draw from somewhere. I'll post to the Electrical Forum but, if you or anyone else might know where to start, please let me know. My voltage meter is always running in the yellow/red(never had this issue before) and I've already replaced the battery and cleaned/tightened the terminals. Many times when I go to start, it clicks and clicks and finally turns over. Think it's the starter and could that be a cause for a power draw?

varosd

could be battery not charging. starter clicking could be solenoid etc there is a great free download that deals with all electrical issues

1988 and 88 520-H is the same so either model number will work. like Mike stated, no Kohler was on the 520 (at least from the factory) always was Onan.

bobbyp109

Thank you, I downloaded it and I'll check it out. Wow, everyone is so helpful here.

dbartlett1958

Thanks Mike for the info. A local dealer told me the only way to tell for sure was to bring it to them but, it's over 30 miles away and they wouldn't look at pictures :angry-nono: . Hard to get the right belts sometimes without the model number.

Also, something happened about a year ago to the electrical system. A local repair guy unhooked all the extra safety switches (like the seat) but, now it seems I have a power draw from somewhere. I'll post to the Electrical Forum but, if you or anyone else might know where to start, please let me know. My voltage meter is always running in the yellow/red(never had this issue before) and I've already replaced the battery and cleaned/tightened the terminals. Many times when I go to start, it clicks and clicks and finally turns over. Think it's the starter and could that be a cause for a power draw?

Bobby,

The 9-pin connector unter the battery area is a known trouble spot on thes tractors when it comes to electrical issues. Take it apart and clean it as best you can, use some dielectric grease when you reassemble. Also clean all or as meany as you can of the other connections on the tractor. If you search these forums and post questions you will get the help you need. Welcome!