Indy443

Slipping Throttle Lever on 312-8

dbartlett1958

Hi Duff :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm up in the hills in Stowe. I would be thrilled to have the chance to talk with someone about my new WH. I can tell you this, I had my eye on getting a tractor at the end of the fall, then spent a good chunk of this winter falling in love with Wheel Horses. Our local Toro shop had a few older Horses in their used dept. and after talking with the guys about them, sitting on them and really letting my mind drift with all they are capable of (plus how darn cool they look), I new I had to find one. I found what I was looking for in a 312-8 from way down in Mass and on Sunday spent the day driving to pick it up. I am new to them mechanically (and am not crazy handy with the wrench, though I am eager to learn to do everything to keep this tractor and pass it on to my son one day. The wife is 4 months pregnant with our first!!). I plan on having lots of chores involving the tractor to keep me sane....

Thanks for saying Hi-

Indy,

These tractors are very simple to own and maintain. They were built to last from quality materials, unlike the Big Box junk you see everywhere these days. All the knowledge and help you will ever need to keep your 312 going is right here. Like Van said above, that tractor will last you the rest of your life if you want it to.

• Like 2

dcrage

Indy

Don't be afraid to work on these tractors -- After 20 years of owning my 310-8 I still am learning that these tractors really were designed to be worked on by the owners

Your drive belt is under the belt gaurd running along the right side of the tractor, right next to your brake foot -- If you need to replace this it is accessible by removing some of the foot rest and the gaurd; probably easier if you remove the wheel on that side -- You can see the bolts -- If you need to put the spring on the clutch, you will be on the other side -- Again removing the wheel will make things easier

Don't be afraid of hurting this tractor -- It really is designed for these things to happen -- Take your time -- Take some pictures as you go if in doubt -- You will be able to do this

Indy443

Indy

Don't be afraid to work on these tractors -- After 20 years of owning my 310-8 I still am learning that these tractors really were designed to be worked on by the owners

Your drive belt is under the belt gaurd running along the right side of the tractor, right next to your brake foot -- If you need to replace this it is accessible by removing some of the foot rest and the gaurd; probably easier if you remove the wheel on that side -- You can see the bolts -- If you need to put the spring on the clutch, you will be on the other side -- Again removing the wheel will make things easier

Don't be afraid of hurting this tractor -- It really is designed for these things to happen -- Take your time -- Take some pictures as you go if in doubt -- You will be able to do this

Dcrage,

Thank your for your post, I needed that shot of encouragement to crack into this tractor and get to know it. I am truly wishing I had a garage space to work in, but I am preparing to have cold hands this weekend. Worse things have happened. One question I had about the clutch shock. Do I unbolt it and remove it altogether? Or simply replace the stock clutch spring with a stronger spring and that will override the shock?

Thanks for the help, suggestions and encouragement to DIY. This place really is great!

dbartlett1958

Indy,

I would remove the shock/spring altogether. If left on it could possibly be affected by cold temps and impede the action of the coil spring. JMHO.

David

rahawk

Can anyone tell me how to remove the throttle lever knob on a 312-8, It's not obvious to me how it is held onto the lever.

123GO
On 1/29/2013 at 9:21 PM, dbartlett1958 said:

Indy,

I would remove the shock/spring altogether. If left on it could possibly be affected by cold temps and impede the action of the coil spring. JMHO.

David

Yep' I ended up removing my hyd dampener shortly after adding the spring because it still interfered on take off occasionally. Only took a few minutes to remove & toss in the ol' scrap bin.  Takes off much better with it off.