Sign in to follow this  
snowhound

Auto vs Hydro

snowhound

Could someone tell me the difference between an auto and a hydro and which one is consided better. I am looking for a tractor for my wife and she dosen't want a standard. The tractor would be used mostly for mowing our yard, that has some hills, and pulling a small trailer.

thanks,

Ed (snowhound)

Sparky

I dont think there is any differance, they are just different words that mean the same thing in garden tractors.

Mike............

JackC

No difference. The Hydro is an Automatic. Wheel Horse used the letter A for automatics from 1965 to 1987. Starting in 1988 the used the letter H for automatics.

snowhound

Sparky and JackC thanks for the replies. I thought that was the case but wanted to be sure..

• Like 1

Sparky

That being said there are two "hydros" out there in the newer machines(1980-to present). Theres the Eaton 1100 and the Eaton 700. The 1100 is the better unit, the 700 is a weaker unit. They made 300 series machines with both and there were even 500 series machines with the Eaton 700, (the 516-H and the 518-H).

Try to get one with an Eaton 1100 if you can.

Mike............

Hydro

That being said there are two "hydros" out there in the newer machines(1980-to present). Theres the Eaton 1100 and the Eaton 700. The 1100 is the better unit, the 700 is a weaker unit. They made 300 series machines with both and there were even 500 series machines with the Eaton 700, (the 516-H and the 518-H).

Mike............

....and then get Matt 860's foot operated motion control. Sweet! :thumbs:

• Like 1

leeave96

Mike............

Is the visual tip-off that you have a tractor with an Eaton 700 that it has a manual vs hydro lift?

Thanks,

Bill

TT

Is the visual tip-off that you have a tractor with an Eaton 700 that it has a manual vs hydro lift?

A manual lift lever is a good indicator, but the lack of one could also mean the tractor has electric lift with an Eaton 700 series hydro.

The 1100 series hydros will have a rear-facing spin-on oil filter mounted horizontally behind the top of the left tire.

• Like 1