Sign in to follow this  
denny05

trans problem

denny05

ok being a newbie in this trying to figure out what uni drive I have it is a 3 speed with hi and low also has a dip stick looks a lot like a 5060 sorry I just got this and don't know year of tractor or where to find serial number has a 1o hp k 241 motor........ help

sorekiwi

Welcome to Red Square.

The "3 Speed with Hi/Low" is the same thing as a 6 Speed (for early tractors) or 8 Speed as they were later renamed. If it has a dipstick it will be an 8 Speed. The other identifying feature will be the diameter of the axles, they will be either 1" or 1 1/8".

If you can post up a picture, we should be able to help you identify it better. Else you could look through the galleries to find a tractor that looks similar.

What is your transmission problem? Most of the unidrives are very similar inside, so we may be able to help you even without knowing the exact model. There are unidrive manuals in the "Files" section.

rmaynard

Take a look on the hood stand. There should be a tag with ID info attached.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the madness.

:WRS:

Edited by rmaynard

denny05

Welcome to Red Square.

The "3 Speed with Hi/Low" is the same thing as a 6 Speed (for early tractors) or 8 Speed as they were later renamed. If it has a dipstick it will be an 8 Speed. The other identifying feature will be the diameter of the axles, they will be either 1" or 1 1/8".

If you can post up a picture, we should be able to help you identify it better. Else you could look through the galleries to find a tractor that looks similar.

What is your transmission problem? Most of the unidrives are very similar inside, so we may be able to help you even without knowing the exact model. There are unidrive manuals in the "Files" section.

thanks for the info ...... what has happened is the shifter pulled out the top of the trans and the round holder fell inside

denny05

Take a look on the hood stand. There should be a tag with ID info attached.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the madness.

no tag under hood

rmaynard

Are you saying that this came off and fell in?

post-2221-0-88889900-1359228620.jpg

stevasaurus

OH OH...this can't be good. Might grab it with a pencil magnet.

denny05

yup that would be the part but I have another one because before that happen I lost reverse and 1st gear .... so I have a question found a 3 speed trans from a older modle and was wondering can I take mine out and put that in till I have time to fix it so I can still plow snow???

sorekiwi

I have never tried a 3 speed lever in an 8 speed, nor have I ever compared them side by side. But I wouldnt be surprised if it worked.

I would try to retrieve the missing ball back out of the gearbox though, it could be a little ugly if that got eaten by the gears, or in the very least it might get under a shift fork or the reverse idler and jam everything up.

jeremi3210

I swaped a 3 speed shifter with a 8 speed. Works great.

denny05

jeremi 3210..... I was going to swap the whole trans out....

sorekiwi..... that part dropped in when the tractor was sitting and I have not moved it so I don't think it got in the gears ... I think I going to try to swap out Trans with 3 speed then tear down the problem child.

I want to thank everyone who has helped me and I am sure the storie will get better.... wish me luck on the swap

woodchuckfarmer

If that shifter ball gets between the bull gear and the trans case while your running it, it will pop a hole in your trans case. Ive seen it happen with a broken diferential bolt.....good luck .Wayne

denny05

thank you woodchuckfarmer for the info .......not planning to run this till it is fixed

jeremi3210

Those trans are pretty simple to work on when you do get to tearing in to it make sure there are no burs on the axles and when you split the case make sure the short side is down.

stevasaurus

Denny...Welcome to Red Square. I would look down the hole with a light and see if you just can't snag that pesky ball. It might be just sitting on the forks and a pencil magnet may work. The reason you lost 1st and reverse, is that ball came loose and the shifter was not able to do it's thing. If you can retrieve the ball there is a set screw that tightens it on the shifter.

One problem that you may run into swapping out the transmissions...the four bolts that mount it to the frame may have a different pattern. It depends on what trans you have in there and what trans you are trying to swap with. It is possible the pattern is the same, but no guarantee. Some pictures would really help your cause here...for one thing we could identify your tractor which would stop the guessing of what fits or not. :)

TT

If the ball isn't visible through the shifter hole, I'd have the tranz out, upside-down, and shaking it until that ball came out.

A three speed will bolt in, but there's enough differences (brake linkage, input shaft / pulley size, shifter bends, etc.) that I would stay with what's in the tractor now.

The pivot ball is roll-pinned to the shifter. If you get to this point, use a solid pin to align the pivot ball and shifter and weld the ball to the shifter from the bottom side.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks TT...meant to say roll pin...not set screw. :)

denny05

I want to thank everyone for the help...... well here is the outcome ..... first I found out my tractor is a 1988 310 B with a 8 speed...... and found a 8 speed for $65. so I replaced it and will work on mine for a back up or to help someone else out ....... I have attached a pic of my tractor will be on to chat later thanks again..... back plowing snow

post-9440-0-68579500-1359463680.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

WOW, that is a very nice horse. Glad you got her back to running...wish I had some snow to play in. :)

clemedc

Nice Tractor :text-welcomewave:

denny05

Thanks I have been working all last summer on it ......

tunahead72

That is a nice tractor, but probably not an '88 model. If it's original to that tractor, the Kohler K-series engine indicates that yours is a 1986 or earlier model. Not a criticism at all, just something to keep in mind when you're looking for parts or manuals.

Did you find the ID tag, probably on the rear fender, either in front of the seat or on the left side?

Glad to hear you got the transmission thing straightened out. When you decide to dig into it, there's a transmission service manual here on RedSquare, and lots of cool how-to videos to help you along.

Have fun with it, and :WRS: !

denny05

hey thanks for the update on the year and the info on the manuals ...... being new at this and can't find any model # or serial # on it anywhere all I know for sure is that it is a 8 speed it does have those decals on it

Wheel-N-It

Real nice tractor Denny!

denny05

thank u sir ..... I have a lot of fun with it ....... we are to get 2"-4" of snow this week oh boy