Sign in to follow this  
cjshippy

Started my Lawn Ranger restoration project (pic heavy)

cjshippy

So I finally got started on my first ever restoration project.

My Lawn Ranger. I have wanted one of these for a very long time and when I finally found one I bought it without even seeing it, had it shipped over, and have looked at it ever since wondering where to start and what to do.

Well I thought the best thing to do would be to start to take it apart, which I have done.

I have included pics because I know you like pics and it should also help me put it back together.

Things seemed to go relatively well up to a point, which is were my questions will come in.

Firstly in the final photo in this first set, what is the metal outlet that appears to have wings? Is this for fuel? My engine and fuel tank do not have any fuel lines so I have to work this bit out.

post-8754-0-39388600-1358911010.jpg

post-8754-0-29489200-1358911015.jpg

post-8754-0-96676100-1358911018.jpg

post-8754-0-84171500-1358911022.jpg

post-8754-0-33993000-1358911075.jpg

• Like 2

cjshippy

From this point on, things seemed to go very well again.

A fair amount of WD40 was used to loosed what appears to be the original nuts and bolts, and in general everything seems to be in good condition for the age.

post-8754-0-51437500-1358911215.jpg

post-8754-0-15488100-1358911219.jpg

post-8754-0-55038600-1358911223.jpg

post-8754-0-08235800-1358911228.jpg

post-8754-0-80662900-1358911231.jpg

post-8754-0-73013500-1358911235.jpg

• Like 1

cjshippy

Then we seem to encounter a problem.

I have found a piece of metal which is green and not red.

I do not think this should be here.

The seat pan appears to be welded to this alien piece of metal which is being used as a support for the seat and seat pan.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it just doesn't appear to fit.

I had to break the welds to remove the seat pan, and continue with the dis-assembly.

post-8754-0-32608700-1358911317.jpg

post-8754-0-50768300-1358911321.jpg

post-8754-0-59279300-1358911325.jpg

post-8754-0-29730700-1358911333.jpg

post-8754-0-00581200-1358911337.jpg

post-8754-0-73301300-1358911340.jpg

• Like 1

cjshippy

From here things went slowly, but without much trouble.

Things were tight and needed a little persuasion.

The only further question I have, and I have just realized I do not have a photo of the part in question, concerns a couple of plates and bolts.

They are located either side of the transmission block. Two metal plates bolted above and below the arm attached the transmission to the rear wheels. I will try to get a photo tomorrow to make more sense unless someone knows what I am talking about and can shed some light as to whether they should be there or not.

Nest step is to finish the dis-assembly, have everything sand-blasted and painted and then put it together and try to get it running.

Hope you enjoyed.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sparky

The piece with the wings is a fuel shutoff. Nice commentary on the progress!

Keep it coming.

Mike................

posifour11

Good write up. Can't wait to see the progress.

VinsRJ

I look forward to the project progression!

855ownerJoel

Your off to a great start, and with that set on the origional pisture, looks like the green metal was added for extra support. Heavy seat was put on that tractor.

• Like 1

Rollerman

Looks good, I enjoyed fixing up my 67 Ranger.

They make for a handy tractor. :text-coolphotos:

Jake Kuhn

Looking very good! I hope to start putting mine back together soon! ~Jake

Terry M

looks like you have a good start! :handgestures-thumbupright:

cjshippy

I have been able to get a little bit more work done to my Lawn Ranger. Still in the dissembley stage, and have attached a few photos for you all.

I also have a few questions I hope you will be able to answer.

Firstly, as you can see in my first photo, I broke the choke knob. It was very delicate and I only tapped it against the frame and the side piece flew off. Is it easy to get a replacement for these? I will replace both, but need to ensure I get the right ones. I will also need a new plate for the dash, this one is beyond saving. The ignition bit does not look right to me either, should there be two holes?

The steering mechanism was a little trickier to get off. I got the main gear removed from the chassis, but had no idea at all how to remove the small ball joint from the steering arm or from the link arms. I finally worked out a couple of them, but these must have been a little weak too, since one of the buts rounded off as soon as I touched it. So have to work out how to remove this one, will probably have to cut it. Are these easy enough to get hold off? I worked out that they do pop off, I assume they simply pop back on too? These are circled in the 5th picture.

In the third photo, there appear to be clamps over both sides of the drive from the transmission to the wheel. Is this normal? Is it covering up some sort of damage? Should I remove it to find out?

In relation to the transmission, when I took the sump plug out, the thick gooey brown liquid that flowed out was horrible. I am in the UK and wonder if anyone can tell what the best transmission fluid to use is and how much I should use?

In the forth picture, I cannot work out how to remove this piece. Perhaps it is not meant to come out.

And finally, in the last picture there is a nut, but it does not seem to connect to anything. I spent ages trying to remove this entire arm, and cannot work out at all how to remove it, and this is where I ended tonight's work because it baffled me.

Sorry there have been quite a few questions, but hope you enjoyed the progress and the photos. If so I will keep them coming. Enjoying the work so far, really looking forward to sand-blasting and painting this horse up.

Thanks for reading.

post-8754-0-06177200-1358987850.jpg

post-8754-0-94441900-1358987853.jpg

post-8754-0-45059200-1358987857.jpg

post-8754-0-85481800-1358987860.jpg

post-8754-0-91653400-1358987863.jpg

post-8754-0-14910700-1358987867.jpg

Martin

enjoying your thread on the tear down...

the choke cables as far as i know are fairly universal between the wheel horses. get one for a larger tractor and cut to suit. they can be had from toro or that online auction site. the throttle looks like its the same as the larger tractors, most people have trouble with the knobs twisting off with the new cables because of the locking mechanism. the choke doesnt have that and should survive longer. you could always look for something used as well.....

the tierods should unbolt from both ends of the tierod. they are replaceable as well, different lengths are available so make sure of the length you need. can be had online as well. or match up with good used ones.....

in the third pic those brackets are rear bracket mounts for a plow blade or tiller . they just unbolt, not needed if you are not using those attachments.

the belt idler arm in the fourth pic should have a removable clip on the other end of the shaft. (left side of frame) remove that and then just slide the shaft out of the frame....

in your last pic that is a bolt. it holds the axle pivot pin. unbolt the bolt, then there could be a clip (not sure on this model) on the front of the frame where this pin goes through the frame, remove that if its there, then the pin should slide rear wards out of the axle and frame (might require some persuasion). the axle will then fall out.....

good luck with the rest of the disassembly!!

Edited by Martin

sorekiwi

Glad to see you are having fun!

Tierod ends: The "stud" part should have 2 flats on it so you can hold it from turning while undoing the nuts.

Lower Steering shaft: If you rotated it perpindicular to the chassis, the triangular shaped plate should come out from between the frame rails.

The clutch arm (Photo #4): I havent worked on a Ranger as new as yours, but if it is the same as the earlier roundhoods then the shaft is welded to the arm fitted with your idler pulley, and pinned to another arm on the other side of the chassis. Its a very small diameter rollpin (I'm thinking 1/8" diameter) and very often very difficult to remove. I have bent and broken many pin punches trying to remove these pins. Several times I have just cut the crossshaft to remove it, and then made a new one.

Martin

you know mike, id completely forgot that the clutch arms were pinned on some of the larger ones as well, i know i have memories of dealing with a rusty pin. i ended up grinding the pin flush on one of them and redrilling once it was out....sucks.....

HorseFixer

Looks like yer on the right track there Mate! :handgestures-thumbupright: keep up the good work. :notworthy:

~Duke

cjshippy

Thanks for the comments and help so far everyone.

Not rushing this, just taking my time, enjoying it and trying to remember everything I have done, so I should be able to put it back together in reverse.

The pin on the axle came out very easily, and from there the front end came apart with ease too.

Managed to take all the wheels off without any difficulty. I think they may have a little life left in them yet. One of the smaller front wheels is flat, so I will have to see if I can get a new tube for it.

The rest have a few cracks around the walls, but should be grand for the little work I will be subjecting the Wheelhorse to.

Looking at the transmission, it obviously has no oil in it at present, but everything seems to turn as it should, and the gears all seem to work as normal. Since I am a complete novice do you think I should bother opening up the transmission, or just leave it as is? Bar a little paint of course?

I think it might be time to start looking for a sand blaster and get this horse stripped back to see what we have underneath. Quite a bit of the paint looks original, and although there is some rust it looks light surface rust, so keeping my fingers crossed that all is good underneath.

Am I missing anything obvious?

post-8754-0-55994000-1359393471.jpg

post-8754-0-80110700-1359393474.jpg

post-8754-0-86279600-1359393477.jpg

post-8754-0-21409100-1359393481.jpg

post-8754-0-93396600-1359393484.jpg

post-8754-0-86679900-1359393487.jpg

• Like 1