fourwheels0

WARNING on after market kohlers

fourwheels0

if you buy an after market kohler or get a tractor with one in it ( a blue kohler ) be very careful and replace the starter bolts.

i had one blow out and strip the threads.

mind you the bolts only went into the first 2 or 3 threads. factory mistake.

i put new longer bolts in and all is good.

SAM_0207_zps61693f96.jpg

• Like 3

Sparky

Thanks for the heads up.

I bet a few guys will be checking their starter bolts tonight.

Mike...........

fourwheels0

hopefully this will help somebody out before they have an issue.

the c-120 (pictured above) i recently picked up and it has an almost brand new 12hp on it but the wiring was a mess.

good thing because those bolts weren't even close to being long enough.

i think i started it 3-4 times and boom out came the bolt.

Wheel-N-It

I don't mean top ask a stupid question, but are these " Blue Kohlers " still available for purchase???

fourwheels0

I don't mean top ask a stupid question, but are these " Blue Kohlers " still available for purchase???

that's a good question.

i've seen them pop up on e-bay from time to time but not sure how "available" they are from say dealers.

i'd say be careful with any kohler that looks like it's been replaced.

CHECK ALL THE BOLTS just to be safe.

855ownerJoel

Never heard of an "after market Kohler" isn't that a copyright infringement? Who makes them if there after markets?

chevyaddict83

Are they aftermarket? ?? Or are they factory rebuilds by kohler, or approved dealers, with the blue signifying t hat it is a rebuild?

Sent from my 416-8

TT

This is my best explanation:

The blue engines aren't aftermarket or reconditioned - they're known as a "basic" and are 100% Kohler like the rest of them.

They were sold as "an engine that fits many applications" - but they are often close enough to - say, a Wheel Horse engine - that they can be substituted on other equipment with nothing more than an oil pan swap, adding a bracket or two, or moving the coil, etc.

Many of the smaller Kohler customers built their equipment around a "basic" engine instead of requesting special engines.

Using a design that was readily available (off the shelf - so to speak) meant they were cheaper and they weren't waiting for special models to be assembled.

The gray Kohlers were service engines. They were built to replace a specific engine or group of engines with certain characteristics. Dipstick style, high vs. low mount starter, battery, breakerless, or magneto ignition, oil pan type, etc., would determine the mini-block (no crankshaft), short block, or service engine that was needed for specific applications.

Here's a service engine - with appropriate Wheel Horse-specific alterations (oil pan and blower housing):

post-33-0-74451100-1358957825.jpg

post-33-0-61104900-1358957831_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure Kohler is done producing most parts, mini and short blocks, and replacement engines for both the K and M engines. If you're lucky enough to find one that's "new in box" it's because it's been sitting on a shelf for a while. I know an OPE dealer that has two new complete K-161 "basic" engines on display in his showroom. They are early 70's and can be bought, but he knows what he has and I can't afford them. They are both mag ignition / retractable start / with gas tanks and would work for log splitters, go karts, etc. just like a generic application Briggs or Honda.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as the starter bolts being wrong ...... are you sure that someone wasn't there before you? :confusion-shrug:

SousaKerry

I have had a couple of them blue engines one was on a cushman golf cart the other came form an old Themoking cooler unit. I would be willing to bet someone had it apart and put in the wrong bolts.

fourwheels0

TT thanks that clears things up for me on the different color kohlers. i always wondered about that.

sousakerry2 this looked like it had never been apart. paint was not disturbed. both bolts matched and had the same amount of thread lock (albeit in the wrong place).

they were just too short. maybe it was a "Friday" build and they ran out of the correct bolts lol.

C-101plowerpower

the engine's discribed in TT's post were probably the engines in here:

Koen